Internet Packages

I noticed on my cruise planner that you can purchase the internet package on line and "save up to 30% off" (Ibelieve it said $9.09 per day for one device) My question: I am diamond plus and can use my "free internet minutes " toward a package. If I purchase before boarding is there a way they will credit those minutes onto the package? Or should I just wait and do it once on board?

I noticed on my cruise planner that you can purchase the internet package on line and "save up to 30% off" (Ibelieve it said $9.09 per day for one device) My question: I am diamond plus and can use my "free internet minutes " toward a package. If I purchase before boarding is there a way they will credit those minutes onto the package? Or should I just wait and do it once on board?

1. They aren't minutes any more. Your D+ benefit is two 24 hour periods of unlimited internet use.

2. If you buy pre-cruise, you can buy at the discounted price.

3. If you buy on the ship, you can use your D+ benefit.

4. If there are two of you, and you don't need constant internet access, you are better off using four 24 hour periods of internet for free.

4. If there are two of you, and you don't need constant internet access, you are better off using four 24 hour periods of internet for free.

The package is also sold with days remaining. So you can get two days free with one coupon at the beginning of the cruise and then get the package with the other $40 D+ discount for the remaining days. The on board price is $12.99/day for the one device SURF package.

We did the Surf one device...one person (we both used it but only one at a time ) recently (May) on Adventure...I pre-purchased the 30% off and my total for 7 nights was $63.63...Once I got onboard I would have canceled if my D+ discount would have worked out cheaper...it didn't and was glad I pre-purchased...so no need to cancel...This worked great for us...actually pre-purchased for both weeks of my B2B.

Edited by Ashland

We did the Surf one device...one person (we both used it but only one at a time ) recently (May) on Adventure...I pre-purchased the 30% off and my total for 7 nights was $63.63...Once I got onboard I would have canceled if my D+ discount would have worked out cheaper...it didn't and was glad I pre-purchased...so no need to cancel..

You keep saying that and perhaps misleading some cruisers - there must have been a glitch on your sailing with your account - all other reports I've seen have the D+ discount at $40. Even if a couple only uses one D+ coupon, buying on board is certainly cheaper than buying ahead. And if both coupons are used as I described above, the internet is quite cheap (about $12 for the week). All of this assumes a 7 day sailing on the SURF one device package.

You keep saying that and perhaps misleading some cruisers - there must have been a glitch on your sailing with your account - all other reports I've seen have the D+ discount at $40. Even if a couple only uses one D+ coupon, buying on board is certainly cheaper than buying ahead. And if both coupons are used as I described above, the internet is quite cheap (about $12 for the week). All of this assumes a 7 day sailing on the SURF one device package.

What I "keep" saying is what "I" experienced onboard our May 7th & May 14th cruise on Adventure...I checked out pricing options I had with my D+ once onboard with Guest Relations (twice) and the LA...there was no "glitch" with "my account" and can't understand why at every opportunity you continue to dispute what "my" experience with pricing was.

I'm not "misleading" any one and there's no reason for you to assume or infer that I am.

Hopefully according to you ... you'll be able to do much better .... Good luck ... Do let us know how it ends up working for you once your actually onboard ;)

..there was no "glitch" with "my account" and can't understand why at every opportunity you continue to dispute what "my" experience with pricing was.

I didn't say you didn't experience that, my point is that everyone else has reported getting $40 off the package as a D+. The switch to this tiered VOOM pricing happened right around the time you experienced this - hence my assumption that something happened to your account to not give you the $40 off.

I could say I experienced X on a ship, but if everyone else's experience is different than X, then my experience is not what everyone else will see on their cruise. Repeating my experience does no good to any future cruiser and could mislead them in terms of what they might expect.

Now, I grant you, the OP and everyone else can do as you did. Buy the package ahead of time, then get a refund and buy the package on board when they realize the D+ discount is a better deal.

Edited by Biker19

I didn't say you didn't experience that, my point is that everyone else has reported getting $40 off the package as a D+. The switch to this tiered VOOM pricing happened right around the time you experienced this - hence my assumption that something happened to your account to not give you the $40 off.

I could say I experienced X on a ship, but if everyone else's experience is different than X, then my experience is not what everyone else will see on their cruise. Repeating my experience does no good to any future cruiser and could mislead them in terms of what they might expect.

Now, I grant you, the OP and everyone else can do as you did. Buy the package ahead of time, then get a refund and buy the package on board when they realize the D+ discount is a better deal.

I guess we've read different posts then because I've also read about many that have had the same outcome in pricing as I did...so careful saying "everyone else".

I asked 3 times while onboard (and knew my price off package was $39.99 with my D+) but the prices onboard with my discount still didn't price in below $63.63....I tried !!!

Perhaps it was a price glitch for us and those I've read about onboard several other ships during that time frame. It would be nice to hear the price point of some very recent (after May) cruiser's now...and not just accounts of what happened two months ago...or from 3rd parties that have no 1st hand experience of their own to relay...just hearsay about what particular post's they have read.

Since there is so much (misinformation) out there being spread (by me according to you :rolleyes:) perhaps as I suggested the 30% off package should be pre-purchased at least then you will have the option once onboard just as I did to cancel.

Good luck with your pricing next time you're onboard....I'm sure we'll hear about it :)

I asked 3 times while onboard (and knew my price off package was $39.99 with my D+) but the prices onboard with my discount still didn't price in below $63.63....I tried !!!

Perhaps it was a price glitch for us and those I've read about onboard several other ships during that time frame. It would be nice to hear the price point of some very recent (after May) cruiser's now...and not just accounts of what happened two months ago...or from 3rd parties that have no 1st hand experience of their own to relay...just hearsay about what particular post's they have read.

Since there is so much (misinformation) out there being spread (by me according to you :rolleyes:) perhaps as I suggested the 30% off package should be pre-purchased at least then you will have the option once onboard just as I did to cancel.

Good luck with your pricing next time you're onboard....I'm sure we'll hear about it :)

Again, I'm not doubting what you experienced and BTW, this is the first time you mentioned that I read that indeed the D+ discount you had was $40. The problem apparently was the on board price they were charging you. It should have been $12.99 per day but apparently it was much higher (I assume the previous pricing of $20/day). Considering RCI's IT system this is totally understandable - they didn't update their system, were charging the old prices and no one on board knew or was willing the over ride the system.

Your situation is like someone being charged the corkage fee a few days after it was eliminated. Yes, one could have asked three different people three different times and still got charged for the corkage fee when in fact, RCI announced it was doing away with them. How does telling everyone that one was charged a corkage fee help any future cruiser with their planning?

On our last 4 cruises from May until the end of last month, all were 7 nighters, and we used our 2 D+ coupons which gave us 4 free days and then purchased the last two days which were $19.95 per day. Our dialemna now is we are taking a 12 day cruise later on this year and they are selling the Internet online for $9.09 per day with the discount, so if we pre-purchase it will be about $109,

If we wait till we board and use our 4 free days and then purchase it will presumably be at $19.95 a day again, so that would cost us $159.60 for the remaining 8 days. It seems a bit strange that they are selling the package online at $9.09 per day which it says is a 30% discount when in fact $9.09 compared to $19.95 is more than 50% discount - I guess I should hurry up and buy it online before the price goes up !

On our last 4 cruises from May until the end of last month, all were 7 nighters, and we used our 2 D+ coupons which gave us 4 free days and then purchased the last two days which were $19.95 per day. Our dialemna now is we are taking a 12 day cruise later on this year and they are selling the Internet online for $9.09 per day with the discount, so if we pre-purchase it will be about $109,

If we wait till we board and use our 4 free days and then purchase it will presumably be at $19.95 a day again, so that would cost us $159.60 for the remaining 8 days. It seems a bit strange that they are selling the package online at $9.09 per day which it says is a 30% discount when in fact $9.09 compared to $19.95 is more than 50% discount - I guess I should hurry up and buy it online before the price goes up !

I'm not sure if it depends on the ship you are on, but on Voom the Surf package is $12.99 per day and Surf and Stream $17.99 per day. There's a link to daily cruise compasses in the thread below from a very recent Harmony cruise that shows this is the onboard price:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2383946

If this is the case on your sailing, then you could use one coupon to get the first two days free, then buy 10 days of the surf package @ $12.99 per day, less second $40 coupon = $89.90

Worth getting confirmation from someone on your ship that the same package prices apply though.

Edited by abo

It seems a bit strange that they are selling the package online at $9.09 per day which it says is a 30% discount when in fact $9.09 compared to $19.95 is more than 50% discount

You are comparing apples and oranges. The 9.09 per day is compared to the 12.99 per day on board when you buy the package for the whole cruise. The 19.95 per day is when you buy a single 24 hr period. When choosing internet options on board there should be a choice for "remaining days". So on a 7 day cruise get the first two days free with the first coupon then you buy the remaining days package (not individual days) with the second coupon for 5x12.99 - 40 or 24.95. You can save another 12.99 by skipping the first day since you usually have cell signal till at night.

The math is still in you favor to buy on board for the 12 day cruise as described above - as with my 7 day example you can save another 12.99 by skipping the first day.

Edited by Biker19

Pre-purchase the package !!...If you don't you won't have the option on board to cancel it if you can get a better deal...you'll be stuck with the higher price. Regardless of what any one says on these boards...buying the pre-purchase package for the entire week works out best. You are correct after your free days you will pay the $19.95 per day....Some just continue to argue this point....the decision is easy.....why not take the chance and be able to cancel !

Again, I'm not doubting what you experienced and BTW, this is the first time you mentioned that I read that indeed the D+ discount you had was $40. The problem apparently was the on board price they were charging you. It should have been $12.99 per day but apparently it was much higher (I assume the previous pricing of $20/day). Considering RCI's IT system this is totally understandable - they didn't update their system, were charging the old prices and no one on board knew or was willing the over ride the system.

Your situation is like someone being charged the corkage fee a few days after it was eliminated. Yes, one could have asked three different people three different times and still got charged for the corkage fee when in fact, RCI announced it was doing away with them. How does telling everyone that one was charged a corkage fee help any future cruiser with their planning?

"Again"..... Once you're onboard next time lets see how the pricing works out for you. No need to keep debating this with me and what I experienced, or to continue to infer that I am giving incorrect info. Just change lanes and move on.

Until then...."Peace Out" !!!!!!

"Again"..... Once you're onboard next time lets see how the pricing works out for you. No need to keep debating this with me and what I experienced, or to continue to infer that I am giving incorrect info. Just change lanes and move on.

Until then...."Peace Out" !!!!!!

The pricing I've been talking about is not only from reports on here - I was on Rhapsody in mid-May and experienced these new tiered prices (including having the package available for only the remaining days at 12.99). You are not giving incorrect info, you simply got screwed and were not offered the 12.99 per day WiFi package. You are absolutely correct that on your sailing a D+ would have been better off to purchase ahead of time. Things have changed since then and that is no longer the case, unless there's another IT glitch and RCI prices the package incorrectly on board.

The pricing I've been talking about is not only from reports on here - I was on Rhapsody in mid-May and experienced these new tiered prices (including having the package available for only the remaining days at 12.99). You are not giving incorrect info, you simply got screwed and were not offered the 12.99 per day WiFi package. You are absolutely correct that on your sailing a D+ would have been better off to purchase ahead of time. Things have changed since then and that is no longer the case, unless there's another IT glitch and RCI prices the package incorrectly on board.

Hmmm...I usually know when I've been "screwed" but thanks for pointing that out to me...I'll insist on at least drinks and dinner next time ;)

In this great debate I still haven't seen a post from a D+ member who was on a Voom ship since the new tiers were put in, confirm $40 off a package.

I'd really like to see that because then the decision of buying on board vs the 30% off $17.99/day is a no brainer for my upcoming 4 day cruise. Buying on board is a much better savings.

In this great debate I still haven't seen a post from a D+ member who was on a Voom ship since the new tiers were put in, confirm $40 off a package.

I'd really like to see that because then the decision of buying on board vs the 30% off $17.99/day is a no brainer for my upcoming 4 day cruise. Buying on board is a much better savings.

I believe for a 4 night cruise it probably is better to buy onboard with the D+ discount...Our debate above has been based on 7 nights.

My list of D+ perks from my May cruise states $39.98 off any internet purchase "OR" 2 free days of internet usage (valid for one device).

I believe for a 4 night cruise it probably is better to buy onboard with the D+ discount...Our debate above has been based on 7 nights.

My list of D+ perks from my May cruise states $39.98 off any internet purchase "OR" 2 free days of internet usage (valid for one device).

That is also what I've seen reported since May.

Unless RCI changes pricing again or there's some pricing glitch, the D+ discount should be $40 - there have been several reports in different threads confirming this, including in this thread.

The pricing savings from buying a package ahead of time is about $4/day on Surf and $5/day on Stream. The math suggests that for a D, the break even point is 7+ days and 10+ days for a D+ - this is for the Surf package. This assumes using one coupon the first day and then applying the second coupon to a remaining days package. For STREAM the break even point is about one day less.

Hmmm...I usually know when I've been "screwed" but thanks for pointing that out to me...I'll insist on at least drinks and dinner next time ;)

The first round is on me if you don't get the current pricing on your next sailing.

The latest image of the D+ benefits letter I saw (from Cruiseboy305's empress sailing last weekend) did not say $39.98 off any internet purchase. It said 2 free days or the value towards a package purchase. I know Empress is an anomaly but that's why I was wondering. The "value" could be $12.99 per day.

Even so, $24.98 off 4 days of Surf and Stream still works out cheaper on board than 30% off in advance.

And I'll find out for sure next month.

Biker and Abo, Thanks so much for clarifying this for me, I mistakingly had assumed that the $19.95 per day that I had paid for a single 24 hours was the price per day also if you purchased Internet for the remainder of the cruise. Bearing this in mind I will certainly take your advice and use our first coupon for 2 free days then use the second coupon as a discount of $39-$40 towards the purchase for the remainder of the cruise. Many thanks for your advice. Roll on becoming Pinnacle and then it should be free !!

On my May 2016 7 night Oasis sailing the discount for D+ one device surf and stream was $60 107.94 - 60.00 = $47.94 Same for 2 device surf and stream D+ was also $60 off

28598313235_ceda539686_c.jpg

Edited by emmy