Almost live from a back to back Transatlantic voyage on QM2, August 1st 2016

capnpugwash

Welcome back Capnpugwash. So happy to read your wonderful travelogues, having a giggle and picturing the mighty QM2 steaming for New York.

Jonathan

Jonathan, sorry to alter your 'picture', but I think the ship is on it's way to Southampton; Not steaming, hopefully :)

"Zimmer Frame" is seemingly unique to the UK, and translates to "Walker" on the North American side of the pond.

Perhaps because I travel to Britain almost every year and I watch a lot of British television and films, I use the term "Zimmer frame" and I know several other Canadians who do. After my wife had knee replacement surgery, she was given the loan of a genuine Zimmer frame for her therapy. According to the label it was manufactured in China, shipped to England to the Zimmer business then shipped to Canada.

[

An American man sat next to us at an adjacent table and was eating a single egg benedict, he cut it up with his knife and fork and then changed hands and used his fork like a shovel to put it in his mouth. I realise that this is quite normal in the USA but it just struck me as particularly odd today and wondered why he wouldn’t just use a knife and fork in the normal way to eat. He’s obviously been taught this way but I can’t see the logic behind it.

Normal to you is not normal to him. Normal to him is what he was doing. :)

[

An American man sat next to us at an adjacent table and was eating a single egg benedict, he cut it up with his knife and fork and then changed hands and used his fork like a shovel to put it in his mouth. I realise that this is quite normal in the USA but it just struck me as particularly odd today and wondered why he wouldn’t just use a knife and fork in the normal way to eat. He’s obviously been taught this way but I can’t see the logic behind it.

My USAF aviation cadet training (officer candidates) enforces strict adherence to the NORMAL Yanks method of eating!

p.s. We also USE the receptacle portion of our forks and do not just scrape food onto the back of the fork with our knives!

Edited by p010ne

[

Exactly! And the OP knew that: "I realise that this is quite normal in the USA but it just struck me as particularly odd today and wondered why he wouldn’t just use a knife and fork in the normal way to eat. He’s obviously been taught this way but I can’t see the logic behind it."

What strikes me as funny is why some people acknowledge something as being normal for an individual, but have a problem accepting that their normal isn't being adhered to by everyone else. Are people really troubled about the cultural difference in the way knives and forks are used? If someone was holding a knife and a fork in a threatening manner, no doubt it would get my immediate attention - but otherwise, at the dinner table, I'm more interested in the food, the conversation and of course, the vino :)

Salacia

My USAF aviation cadet training (officer candidates) enforces strict adherence to the NORMAL Yanks method of eating!

p.s. We also USE the receptacle portion of our forks and do not just scrape food onto the back of the fork with our knives!

Sorry what is the receptacle part of a fork? The tines?

Exactly! And the OP knew that: "I realise that this is quite normal in the USA but it just struck me as particularly odd today and wondered why he wouldn’t just use a knife and fork in the normal way to eat. He’s obviously been taught this way but I can’t see the logic behind it."

What strikes me as funny is why some people acknowledge something as being normal for an individual, but have a problem accepting that their normal isn't being adhered to by everyone else. Are people really troubled about the cultural difference in the way knives and forks are used? If someone was holding a knife and a fork in a threatening manner, no doubt it would get my immediate attention - but otherwise, at the dinner table, I'm more interested in the food, the conversation and of course, the vino :)

Salacia

Well, that stirred up a little tornado didn't it!

Edited by capnpugwash

The gentle rocking motion ensured a sound sleep and we didn’t wake until 8.15, losing or gaining an hour each day is tiring whatever anyone tells you and there is no good time to lose the hour whether it is noon or 2am.

We won the quiz again with 19/20 and would have had a perfect score had someone not talked Iris out of one answer that she thought was right, nonetheless we garnered 6 more stamps. It was an old fashioned pen and paper quiz with none of this technology nonsense. I'm sure that some geek in Southampton has decided that this is the best way even though he has never run or played a quiz, probably never been on a ship.

We listened to Vibz for half an hour in the Pavilion Pool area on deck 12 and it was nice and cool as people entered from outside. The ship itself seems much warmer than we remember from before and sometimes it is too warm in the restaurant which was unheard of. The lights there keep flaring high and then dim to normal as well so somewhere in the 50 miles of wiring is a problem.

Afterwards we all had lunch in Britannia, I chose fish chowder and orange roughy and everything was really tasty. Their soups are excellent, probably because they have good stock to use.

It is a foggy afternoon and the foghorn is sounding, it is reminiscent of the film Casablanca to me for some reason which having answered wrongly in a recent quiz, I now know was made in 1942. We had a rest this afternoon and am now showered and ready for cocktails followed by the CWC cocktail party and dinner.

I have enjoyed reading your posts. Obviously we have sailed on more than a few cruises, but never Cunard. We hope to sail on the QM2 next year so the information has been great. Just wondering about swimming pools on board. Is there one with a roof that can be used when the weather is cool?

I have enjoyed reading your posts. Obviously we have sailed on more than a few cruises, but never Cunard. We hope to sail on the QM2 next year so the information has been great. Just wondering about swimming pools on board. Is there one with a roof that can be used when the weather is cool?

Yes, deck 12 B stairs, it's maybe 20 foot by 12

Thanks. Not much of a swimmer but enjoy spending time by the pool and watching the world go by.

Just as well probably in that small pool, plus it is used a lot by kids so I can't vouch for the composition of the water. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Just as well probably in that small pool, plus it is used a lot by kids so I can't vouch for the composition of the water. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Capn, Are you enjoying your back to back crossing? Anyway that pool is my favorite :eek: and when I am aboard QM2 next October 11,2016 to October 25,2016 for another back to back round trip transatlantic crossing, I hope the maintenance people use the right amount of chlorine to keep the pool water clean. Are you doing anymore crossings later this year? Regards,Jerry Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

Capn, Are you enjoying your back to back crossing? Anyway that pool is my favorite :eek: and when I am aboard QM2 next October 11,2016 to October 25,2016 for another back to back round trip transatlantic crossing, I hope the maintenance people use the right amount of chlorine to keep the pool water clean. Are you doing anymore crossings later this year? Regards,Jerry

Jerry, I'm having a great time thanks, packing tomorrow sadly :( and sadly no more Mary until next year. Enjoy your trip as I know you will.

I've enjoyed reading your travelogue also. I will also be doing a back to back from New York in October. First time as a solo cruise, but not the first time on the QM2. Any tips on cruising solo?

I have written several "live froms" on this forum in the past as a solo traveller on this ship, you might want to search their archive and look at those, the main tip is to have fun.

The CWC party was quite crowded and the top sailor had around 1200 days, the presentation was made by the Italian Deputy Captain as Chris Wells had been on the bridge all afternoon because of the very low cloud. Apparently it is bad luck to use the f*g word. Dinner was fine and afterwards we went to the Commodore Club for a brandy and a coffee. Then it was time for bed, we’d been warned of heavy seas and high winds and the crew had been told to secure any breakable items. In the end there was a little fore and aft movement but nothing much in reality. We slept with the door closed though as it was noisy. A lot of the passengers must have thought that it was rough though as this morning the ship is quite empty and the DND cards are in lots of cabin doors.

We won the quiz with just 3 of us participating on our team, we listened to the Dixie Jazz up in the Carinthia Court and in the afternoon the sun came out. Lunch was pizza in Kings Court and it was ok, the base wasn’t very crisp but it wasn’t soggy either. I had a slice of dark chocolate gateau afterwards with a coffee and felt so relaxed, I went for a nap.

Tonight is the final formal night and we had cocktails followed by cocktails at the Senior Officers party followed by a more traditional dinner of beef wellington and baked Alaska. The chefs paraded and received their well earned applause as did the waiters and other restaurant staff. We repaired to the pub for karaoke again but we intended to stay out and go to G32, it was almost 1am and we had both had sufficient fun so we departed to fight another day. I think that the others finished at 4.15 this morning.

Today is packing day and we aren’t inspired to start yet, we came second in the quiz and then wandered around the ship avoiding the bingo in the pub to distribute some folding cash to various crew members who had done good works to us, the remainder will go out tonight.

We had a quiet lunch by the window in the restaurant as the rest of our party are lunching in the Verandah once again. We weren’t keen the first time and certainly didn’t want to repeat the experience. We weren’t able to redeem our vouchers in the alternative dining either so they're in the bin.

We have passed Bishop Rock near the Scilly Isles about 2 hours ago so our transatlantic journey is over, we are in the western approaches of the English Channel and the sea is blue in bright sunshine. We are due at the Ocean Terminal in Southampton tomorrow morning at 6.30 where we disembark. I don’t know where the time has gone but this will be my last update.

I met a CC member in New York at the sailaway and I will leave you with his words said to me last night at the cocktail party, “ I’d like to share a lifeboat with you!” Praise indeed.

I hope you’ve enjoyed the trip. Fin.

Thank you for your wonderful report. I was on the voyage to NYC and departed on the 9th and spent four nights in the city. This was our first ever time on a transatlantic voyage, our first time on Cunard and our first ever cruise! I found the whole experience superb. The ship looks brand new, with the remastered cabins being extremely comfortable. I enjoyed endless walks around the promenade and endless hours gazing out at the sea. I discovered the Commodore Club the first night and this became a regular feature of our days at sea -our final bill listed this venue numerous times! Also, as a young couple we immensely enjoyed the occasion of dressing for dinner.

We were also awoken on the stormy night with crashes and bangs as everything found its way on the floor, I also found myself at the very edge of the bed! I did, however, feel totally safe and was up early for a very quiet breakfast where the every conversation was dominated by the events of the night before. As a first timer I'm keen to know if the events that night are quite rare or is this relatively normal? I was just pleased to enjoy a whole range of different weather types. One other thing is that I would often hear would be rather loud vibrations that would wake me often throughout the voyage (I was on deck 8 midship). Is this a normal occurrence?

I'm now looking for my next voyage! I dream of being back on the QM2 and I'll be recommending it to everyone.

Thank you for your wonderful report. I was on the voyage to NYC and departed on the 9th and spent four nights in the city. This was our first ever time on a transatlantic voyage, our first time on Cunard and our first ever cruise! I found the whole experience superb. The ship looks brand new, with the remastered cabins being extremely comfortable. I enjoyed endless walks around the promenade and endless hours gazing out at the sea. I discovered the Commodore Club the first night and this became a regular feature of our days at sea -our final bill listed this venue numerous times! Also, as a young couple we immensely enjoyed the occasion of dressing for dinner.

We were also awoken on the stormy night with crashes and bangs as everything found its way on the floor, I also found myself at the very edge of the bed! I did, however, feel totally safe and was up early for a very quiet breakfast where the every conversation was dominated by the events of the night before. As a first timer I'm keen to know if the events that night are quite rare or is this relatively normal? I was just pleased to enjoy a whole range of different weather types. One other thing is that I would often hear would be rather loud vibrations that would wake me often throughout the voyage (I was on deck 8 midship). Is this a normal occurrence?

I'm now looking for my next voyage! I dream of being back on the QM2 and I'll be recommending it to everyone.

Things happen at sea and that was a rogue wave/wind, I haven't experienced exactly that before but someone will have. It isn't regular. Re the vibration, ships vibrate and they are metal which tends to amplify noise, the funnels come up between C and B so that might explain things. Glad you enjoyed it :)

:D On our crossing from Southampton in December, we were Ruby and we think the food was much better! We just completed the crossings from NYC (as silver) and the return as Gold (with 2 hours free INTERNET and a reception with the Captain, but not invited to the Platinum/Diamond reception -- likely never achieve those levels?)

In December we were served escargo in those individual portions in the divided platter; however, on our silver crossing the escargo was served on toast and looked more like tiny mushrooms (did not notice any availability on our gold crossing)!

We learned as Ruby to avoid that tangy mint sauce and demand mint jelly for our lamb servings!

We have been to Maine and I think our ruby lobster was not damaged with that crust that embellished the lobster on our silver and gold crossings (we prefer our lobster with clarified butter only!) We did without lobster as gold. (Our Brit table-mates as Gold were professional complainers and we enjoyed a complimentary dinner with wine, sparkling water, etc. in the Bamboo area of the King buffet - I enjoyed the sampler appetizer served in that compartmented tray, the sampler entree as I enjoy sushi and sampler dessert, but my wife was not too satisfied as she does not eat raw fish!). Some other complainer table-mates had ordered special onion soup (which was without crusted cheese on top and awful) but the special shrimp cocktail was marvelous! Later we also were served Waldorf Salad (but we have been to the Waldorf Astoria but Cunard forgot the walnuts, mayonnaise, etc. as it was pitiful)! I always had my vinegar and oil for my bread! As ruby, silver and gold we thoroughly enjoy the teas but usually only had our individual pots of Red Bush, Peppermint, etc. along with one scone (we had been unware that those gift box individual jars of strawberry jam are actually used anywhere)!

We had enjoyed the pub lunch in Golden Lion as ruby but I completed all the selections as silver and gold. I even enjoyed something with bubbles and squeak (in the potatoes I think?). The deserts are served in a massive dish and my wife particularly liked the deeply chocolate one although my favorite was the tapioca! The curry chicken one was quite spicy (I had curry in Germany in December but found their versions to be more like our BBQ)? Several of the dishes were entombed in some kind of crusty stuff but I have no idea what it was? We enjoyed the Carinthia more than the Winter Garden and usually brought in Red Bush, Peppermint, etc. tea to enjoy while finishing our Audible/Ebook selections in the comfortable chairs (never partook of any of the food selections there - just brought something from Kings Buffet)

We almost always had room service bring our breakfasts but we never knew how big a portion of the scrambled eggs we would get! Also when ordering cold cereal and coffee it was always surprise how much milk or cream we would get.

In December as ruby, we had a balcony that was of no use because of the stormy weather and we even experienced Typhoon winds that washed water up to the windows on many decks at one point but I understand on our gold crossing there was a point where the QM2 listed about 5 degrees (we slept in an interior as Silver and Gold and were unaware)!

We did not notice much difference in the showroom but as ruby we were impressed that the chandelier opened to reveal a rope/trapeze device. Perhaps the video wall was new? It was very enjoyable in many of the silver/gold shows and contributed much to the enjoyment. As silver we were really impressed with a Polish performer (now living in Nashville) who played an electronic xylophone that could be voiced as anything, and also was very adept at an electronic theramin! As gold, I attended the second seating performance of Herby Hancock which lasted until midnight because of all the encores! I admit that the early selections were not quite to my liking but I found that my appreciation of the jazz improvisations improved as I endured more selections!

We were amazed as Gold to see so many Amish and Mennonite passengers (mostly ladies as we understood the men flew home to tend the crops). We understood they had a 19 day heritage tour to such as Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, etc (and were from such as New York State, Indiana and Pennsylvania). We learned as silver there were quite a few puppies in the kennel on 12 and 3 cats, but as gold there were no cats.

As ruby I found the planetarium to be broken, but as silver and gold I attended several showings (they are canned presentations and not at all like other planetarium presentations that I have attended. :p