Public Restroom Facilities in the Mediterranean

Lady Arwen

My first experience with an "unusual" toilet was in American Samoa, at a grove near the shore. It was a perfectly clean, western style, one-holer, unisex, building down a path from the show/serving area.

But the "door" was a curtain blowing in the wind. :eek:

On the road from Rabat to Marrakesh, back in the days when it was just packed clay and sand through the middle of nowhere, nothing in sight for miles except a few isolated boulders. Nothing, that is, until looking up from availing myself of the limited privacy of a boulder to find myself an object of interest for several Bedouin children.

When we were in Muiich I avoided public restrooms in even the best resftaurants. Finally, after spendingg lots of tgime shopping zzfter a big lunch, I gav e in and desperation brrought me to restroom door in Gucci. :) They had lovely mini bars of hand soap on the sinks. The atttendant encouraged the ladies to help themselves to a few. Who was I to refuse? :D She got some nice tips.

We are a ery fortunate gvroup of people.

When you read justt this tthread and see the places we have visited, it is outtsanding. Howmany folks ffom all corners of the world have such good fortune?

I seem to recall seeing a book, or maybe it was a calendar??, "Outhouses of the World" ... it was pictures from all over, every type of structure from simple wood or stone to elaborate carved structures ... all looking very interesting ... wish I could remember where I saw it ...

You haven't lived until you've gone on a shorex to the Great Wall of China and go to a "comfort stop"/road side gas station/store along the side of the highway

:cool:

I will always remember that one. Loooong lines for the ladies, especially for the one western style toilet. Shorter line for the holes in the floor. We were warned beforehand to carry tissue and consider wearing a skirt.

Onboard, the shore excursion girl had given a great photo demonstration of the "tiger crouch."

Barbara

Edited by bcummin

I will always remember that one. Loooong lines for the ladies, especially for the one western style toilet. Shorter line for the holes in the floor. We were warned beforehand to carry tissue and consider wearing a skirt.

Onboard, the shore excursion girl had given a great photo demonstration of the "tiger crouch."

Barbara

I considered wearing a skirt also, but that would have meant shaving my legs and my understanding is that's not a day at the beach :eek:

You haven't lived until you've gone on a shorex to the Great Wall of China and go to a "comfort stop"/road side gas station/store along the side of the highway

Ahhh....China.

At least you didn't go by train...where one can see the tracks whizzing by [no pun intended] through the hole in the floor...ahem I mean squat toilet. And that was in first class!

I considered wearing a skirt also, but that would have meant shaving my legs and my understanding is that's not a day at the beach :eek:

Twas tempting wasn't it? LOL. That is the one tip I give EVERY female friend of mine when they say they are going to China...PACK A LOT OF SKIRTS especially if you are going anywhere outside of the centers of Shanghai or Beijing.

On a bus trip from Pokhara (Nepal) to India full of locals. Toilet stop was in the middle of nowhere - no trees, no boulders, no over the rise - just level ground next to the road. All the ladies had saris or sarongs on and just squatted. Luckily I had a sarong in my pack so I just went with the flow (sorry) and did as the locals did. One of many different memories. I was a lot younger then and my knees were more flexible.:)

The Great Wall was positively civilised compared to the pyramids - more flies, more heat, less 'clean up' facilities of any kind. Purse packs of tissues are the MOST important travel accessories anywhere you go

Our guide referred to us a really decent one at St. Peter's. Perhaps things have changed?

Marbella is a very high end spot in Costa del Sol. Beautiful place and of course, the washrooms go with the location ;). But it is not typical of most Med ports and rarely on the itinerary on a Med cruise (unless one takes the train from Malaga).

We did a number of resorts stays in Marbeallg an eagree it is very deluxe with prices to match. Ultra luxurious resorts, greatrerestaurants and beach borgeous. Even Torremolinos is wonderful chough lower level of luuxury. We lovv ed the S h ast ourTorremolilnos hotel and Ssiteed 2- 3 times but then switched to irresistible Marbella. :) Love it there. DXome years after, we cruised with stop at Malaaga and took taxi long the coast to Marbella.

Edited by sail7seas

aht SO Much changes so oftten at Peter's. ;) St Whi

O This must be a rather subtle joke.

Marbella is a very high end spot in Costa del Sol. Beautiful place and of course, the washrooms go with the location ;). But it is not typical of most Med port

sfd n't forget [uMykonos and Santoriini. :) ;) and rarely on the itinerary on a Med cruise (unless one takes the train from Malaga

Don't forget Mykonos and Santorini. They hzav e nogchangvgved all that much in recent years. LO

Edited by sail7seas