Monster Photo Review of NCL Breakaway Cruise 7/31 to 8/7

Smitty74

Day 5 at the beach continued...

Now heres one of my best tips for you. especially if you have little ones. standing on Horse shoe Beach, facing the ocean. Look to the far right end of the beach, and you will see what we called "baby beach". Its a natural cove area surrounded by big rocks. It has little to no wave action, and at low tide is basically a big tide pool.

28306426303_f0fe4e63f3_c.jpg

28636868270_1634d2d530_c.jpg

28306421273_4ce238b512_c.jpg

Not only does this cove offer a safer area for your little one to explore. several of the local fish have figured out that the cove is a good area to hang out in and get fed by the beach goers. MY 9 year old bonded with one of the parrot fish. Im suprised I didnt find it hidden in her luggage when we got home.

28306421763_4b24f61b8f_c.jpg

28306421493_717195c666_c.jpg

28890513636_657b6f22f0_c.jpg

day 5, continued.....

For dinner that night, we went back to taste. I had the duck.

28789883672_06cb9a675e_c.jpg

the Duck was by far the best dish I had in one of the regular restaurants. It was almost as good as a meal in one of the specialty restaurants.

Next I want to show you a panorama shot of the atrium.

28607759960_6ffeddf4af_h.jpg

I show you this picture in hopes of visually expressing to you how truly dumb the layout of this area is.

On every other ship I have ever been on, the atrium is a place of calmness. Its the heart of the ship, and is full of small seating areas where you can meet up with fellow travelers and have a drink, of maybe listen to a piano player for a little while before going to dinner.

Unfortunately for for us, when the Breakaway was being designed. some executive in NCL wanted yet another upsell opportunity to separate you from your money, so he/she had the designers shoehorn in the Spiegel tent. this is the premium theater next to the regular theater where they show the wine lovers play and cirque du soilel, and other shows...for a cost.....

Since the regular theater is running bingo 12 hours a day and is showing the big stage shows the other 12 hours, and the Spiegel tent wont allow in riff Raff that wont pay extra, they had to figure out where can they do the tango classes, the Not so Newlywed game, the musical acts, the cooking shows, etc.... the answer NCL came up with was the Atrium.

It is painfully clear that doing all these shows in the atrium was an afterthought. the furniture that is in the atrium is designed to allow small seating areas. 4 chairs facing each other with a table in the middle, or maybe two couches facing each other with a table in the middle.

What happens when theres a show in the atrium? everybody grabs these big leather couches and chairs, and flips them around to face the stage area. when those are all taken, cruiser grab the chairs in the coffee shop area bring them over to the atrium stage. When those are gone. Cruisers go into the adjacent internet lounge and grab those chairs and bring them to the atrium stage area. For really popular shows like the Not so Newlywed Game, cruiser go as far as the library and game room down the hall to find chairs they can drag back.

the end result of this is that seating in the atrium during a show is thrown together with no rhyme or reason. there are no aisles, its a like walking a labyrinth to get around, and if there was a fire, most of those in attendance would be doomed.

The tiny pool area is the number one major design fault with this ship. The way they use the atrium, and the lack of ANY order to the seating in the Atrium during shows is easily the second biggest issue this ship has.

Day 6. Last Day in Bermuda.

Since we had to be back on the boat by 2:30 pm. we considered doing what EVERYBODY else did on this last day and just stick around the dockyard and do some shopping. After thinking about it for awhile,and deciding that we didnt want to fight the crowds in the shops, we booked a glass bottom boat and snorkel tour.

After meeting up with out tour guide at the taxi area.

28279342543_15ffc2e9e4_c.jpg

We boarded our boat for a three hour tour (yes, I can hear the Gilligans Island theme in my head)

28846261091_6aaf5741d0_c.jpg

I took the opportunity to take some Pictures of the ship.

28894376765_6764014013_c.jpg

28894374725_e1bdf2e1d6_c.jpg

28894373375_38e2d688e1_c.jpg

28894372185_4c5840c166_c.jpg

Day 6, continued.......

Once we got out to the reef area, the captain gave us a nice tour of the area, gave us the background of things we saw, and even pointed out David Bowies old house.

28636862050_e382001455_c.jpg

28306418703_81e6a531bc_c.jpg

28894365925_d44e39ba43_c.jpg

Once we reached the reef/shipwreck area, we went below to see through the glass bottom.

28922186845_7912002464_c.jpg

28846261031_f09f69a8f0_c.jpg

28922184135_afc3423f73_c.jpg

Day 6, continued.......

After the shipwreck, we were taken to a small barrier island to go snorkeling.

28894368585_7112de0d2a_c.jpg

Snorkels and masks were provided. you were also offered a flotation vest or a foam noodle. You will notice in the pictures that everyone chose the noodle.

28894367885_46dbd6fdb8_c.jpg

28894367205_735bda745f_c.jpg

After Snorkling, we only had time for a slow ride back to the ship.

28894364205_0ebe40cfeb_c.jpg

28894365365_a72a41a8e8_c.jpg

I guess the staff should have the same guts that you have.

I can't imagine how they can fairly enforce the rule by monitoring the continuous vacant time of each and every chair.

Cruisers should also do the same as you did.

At times I've seen slips of paper put on the loungers on Celebrity, and if you don't come back by the time the guy goes back around the stuff is removed.

In all fairness though I have never seen a scene like that pool picture on a Celebrity ship. That is not a north south thing...it is to some extent and age thing and the fact that I never travel in the heat of the summer break or spring break.

Celebrity also has a generally older clientele that in some respects are less likely to be sun worshiping at this stage in their cruising careers. That is not to say the pool area is not well used, but it seems to be roomier and there is more of a rotation. Again the age of the cruiser seems key as most, not all, but most people in their 50s and 60s regret the extensive time they spent in the sun as youngsters without sunblock and most are not out their working on their St. Tropez tans......there are obviously exceptions to this.

Regardless great review Smitty!!!!!!

Day 6 continued, Time for dinner

Bye Bye, Bermuda. the ship took a victory lap around the island before heading back to New York.

28863518326_c8569089b0_c.jpg

Fro Dinner this night, we went to Cagny's Steakhouse. this was a premium restaurant, and I was looking forward to a nice steak.

I ordered the 32 oz Tomahawk bone in ribeye.

28861615946_43481461fd_c.jpg

My wife ordered the 24 oz prime rib.

28788002422_369d9a7cb6_c.jpg

since My daughter wasnt covered under our dining package, I asked for an extra plate, and she and I split the ribeye. Since I get unlimited sides and dessert, the waitress just added those items to my bill. that way, she effectively ate at Cagny's for free that night.

Dessert was a 7 layer cake with ice cream

28277433713_11f33d8e89_c.jpg

My Wife Had Creme Brulee

28275046164_a3dfd35b6e_c.jpg

time for another short Rant about the ship.

Dinner in any restaurant normally took atleast 2 hours. This particular dinner at Cagny's took 2.5 hours. By American standards, 2 hours is WAY too long for dinner service. Even with my laid back atitude, I think dinner should be finished in 60-80 minutes.

I initially assumed I should blame this slow meal service on lazy crew members, but honestly, every crewmember I met on this ship was friendly and very helpful. they were in constant motion, and were trying their best. I think the blame falls with the system that they work in. Management has cut the wait staff down to as few staff members as they can get away with, and then worked those few workers to death. The layout of the ship probably has something to do with it as well. Just make sure you assume atleast two hours for dinner no matter where you go.

I know this isn't the OP's fault or problem, but that "Dunking of the Wench" thing is absolutely offensive. I wonder if the people cheering that on realize that they're looking at a torture device from the 15th century witch trials being demonstrated.

Might as well just burn her at the stake -- it's all in the same vein.

Nice photos OP, and not trying to be a downer... just a little education for those who might think they're looking at something innocent from Disneyland.

Nice review. I was on the same sailing as you. I think I see myself in the crowded pool picture. Addressing your northerner comments, you're 100% spot on. Were from the NYC area and save seats every day. It had to be done. It would be for an hour or so in the AM until we got back to the pool deck, but sadly it has to be done.

If no one is enforcing the rules. Why have them

I also agree with your comments about the Atrium/pool layouts. Total head scratchers..

I know this isn't the OP's fault or problem, but that "Dunking of the Wench" thing is absolutely offensive. I wonder if the people cheering that on realize that they're looking at a torture device from the 15th century witch trials being demonstrated.

Might as well just burn her at the stake -- it's all in the same vein.

Nice photos OP, and not trying to be a downer... just a little education for those who might think they're looking at something innocent from Disneyland.

No problems from me. Being there watching it, at first it was all fun and games. They pulled a guy out of the crowd and named him the town drunk before putting him in the "stocks". I thought they would lower her into the water, but they dropped her hard, 4 or 5 times. I know it's a show, but it even scared me a little.

Day 6, continued.......

After the shipwreck, we were taken to a small barrier island to go snorkeling.

28894368585_7112de0d2a_c.jpg

Snorkels and masks were provided. you were also offered a flotation vest or a foam noodle. You will notice in the pictures that everyone chose the noodle.

28894367885_46dbd6fdb8_c.jpg

Random question but how did you get on and off of the boat at the island? I'm concerned about my husband pulling himself up if he has to do so from in the water.

Random question but how did you get on and off of the boat at the island? I'm concerned about my husband pulling himself up if he has to do so from in the water.

Theres a ladder on the back end of the boat that is lowered into the water. Its a solid ladder, but non the less, its still a ladder.

They pulled a guy out of the crowd and named him the town drunk before putting him in the "stocks".

Geez... how many people do you have to offend tonight?!? :)

Enjoying the review. Tomahawk!! Looks like it would tip your car over when strapped to the side.

day 5, continued.....

Next I want to show you a panorama shot of the atrium.

28607759960_6ffeddf4af_h.jpg

I show you this picture in hopes of visually expressing to you how truly dumb the layout of this area is.

On every other ship I have ever been on, the atrium is a place of calmness. Its the heart of the ship, and is full of small seating areas where you can meet up with fellow travelers and have a drink, of maybe listen to a piano player for a little while before going to dinner.

Unfortunately for for us, when the Breakaway was being designed. some executive in NCL wanted yet another upsell opportunity to separate you from your money, so he/she had the designers shoehorn in the Spiegel tent. this is the premium theater next to the regular theater where they show the wine lovers play and cirque du soilel, and other shows...for a cost.....

Since the regular theater is running bingo 12 hours a day and is showing the big stage shows the other 12 hours, and the Spiegel tent wont allow in riff Raff that wont pay extra, they had to figure out where can they do the tango classes, the Not so Newlywed game, the musical acts, the cooking shows, etc.... the answer NCL came up with was the Atrium.

It is painfully clear that doing all these shows in the atrium was an afterthought. the furniture that is in the atrium is designed to allow small seating areas. 4 chairs facing each other with a table in the middle, or maybe two couches facing each other with a table in the middle.

What happens when theres a show in the atrium? everybody grabs these big leather couches and chairs, and flips them around to face the stage area. when those are all taken, cruiser grab the chairs in the coffee shop area bring them over to the atrium stage. When those are gone. Cruisers go into the adjacent internet lounge and grab those chairs and bring them to the atrium stage area. For really popular shows like the Not so Newlywed Game, cruiser go as far as the library and game room down the hall to find chairs they can drag back.

the end result of this is that seating in the atrium during a show is thrown together with no rhyme or reason. there are no aisles, its a like walking a labyrinth to get around, and if there was a fire, most of those in attendance would be doomed.

The tiny pool area is the number one major design fault with this ship. The way they use the atrium, and the lack of ANY order to the seating in the Atrium during shows is easily the second biggest issue this ship has.

I see your point

Amazing review thank you so much. What is the name of that little beach at the port? Looks great for small kids; and can you walk their from the boat. Cant wait to sink my teeth into that tomahawk steak. Also did you taste the lemonade or ice tea at the buffet drink stations at all? We like those so we don't bother with the soda package, but just off the Carnival Sunshine and sadly it was like drinking the pure concentrate YUCK!

Amazing review thank you so much. What is the name of that little beach at the port? Looks great for small kids; and can you walk their from the boat. Cant wait to sink my teeth into that tomahawk steak. Also did you taste the lemonade or ice tea at the buffet drink stations at all? We like those so we don't bother with the soda package, but just off the Carnival Sunshine and sadly it was like drinking the pure concentrate YUCK!

http://snorkelparkbeach.com

Theres a small admission fee, and its an easy 5-10 minute walk from the ship.

The lemonade and Ice tea are very generic. I assume they are coming from a powder or a concentrate. they are serviceable, but not exceptional.

Thanks for posting such a great review. Love seeing pictures of things we have not seen when we have been in Bermuda.

Do you have any pictures of the dailies? Would love to get a jump on planning!

Good News Everybody, I mentioned to my wife that I was upset I didn't take pictures of the dailies. She then casually replied. "I got a copy of all of them in my bag". :) I love my wife....

I will get them scanned and add them to the end of the review

Good News Everybody, I mentioned to my wife that I was upset I didn't take pictures of the dailies. She then casually replied. "I got a copy of all of them in my bag". :) I love my wife....

I will get them scanned and add them to the end of the review

Looking forward.