First Cruise - First Review - Breeze July 24 to 31

mdchicktxnathrt

This is my first review and first cruise. If I do something wrong, please be gentle!

I tried to include pictures throughout but they did not show up. So here are all my photos that I talk about in the review.

https://goo.gl/photos/n741ofyJfAmB2hRV8

Day One: Embarkation day from Galveston

Our cruise group was 14 people. My parents took us for their 50th anniversary. They were the only ones who had been on a cruise before.

We arrived to embark the Breeze Sunday morning about 11:30. Our check-in time was 11:00 but we did not anticipate the traffic getting to the ship. (My mother did, but since I’m weird about researching everything, I told her we could not get there early. Should have listened to her!) We had two vehicles and the drivers dropped all of us passengers off, with all of the luggage, then went to park their vehicles. We waited for them before starting the embarkation process.

The first check was to scan our passports, then the check-in bags went through a scan and we ourselves went through security. Easy enough and went quick.

Second line and stop was to get our Sign & Sail cards. We still don’t know why but our daughters (11 and 15) had their boarding passes stamped “Special Assistance” so at this point we were allowed onto the ship and did not have to wait to be called to board.

After boarding, I proceeded directly to the tequila bar for a Spicy Margarita. Food choices were abundant. Some of us had a burger at Guy’s and others got some food at the buffet.

Our rooms were clean and ready but our luggage took a very long time to arrive. And when it did, it was piece by piece. We had two rooms directly across from each other. My husband and I were in what we refer to as a “secret” cabin that was huge! Room 2485. There are crew steps next to it so it is basically two rooms turned into one. Sorry for the one fuzzy pic. I was kicking myself for not getting more pictures!

My husband has a CPAP machine so it was a good distance to the power plug in the wall. We had to utilize both our power strip and an extension cord. It also makes it difficult to keep your phone anywhere next to you. But it never hurts to have to get up and turn off your alarm clock!

We ate in the main dining room at 6:00 (Blush) every night. By day two, our waiters and bartender knew all our names. Head waiter Benjamin was fantastic! Everyone often had two appetizers and there were nights when many had two entrées. There was never a night when even the pickiest eater (me!) could not find something to eat. Also, the waiters dancing on the tables was a major highlight!

My youngest and I spent the evening walking around and getting to know the ship.

A few items that I wanted to note:

Chat Package: Many of us bought the $5 Carnival Hub chat package. I was disappointed that it often did not work. We would have to restart our devices to get it to start working again. But the hub itself was great for seeing what was going on and who in our group was going to what!

Internet Package: We bit the bullet and purchased the $25 a week social media internet package for some of us. So glad I did! I loved being able to post updates to FB without having to wait until the end of the trip. We were also able to connect through Messenger and I had to even use the phone part of Messenger several times to find my husband. (He would put his phone in the bottom pocket of his cargo shorts and not feel it vibrate when receiving messages through Messenger or the Hub.)

Fridge in room: We arrived to both of our room fridge’s being empty. When we saw our room steward, we asked him to NOT fill them. He informed me that they were no longer filling them when you arrived. I do not know if this is true ship-wide or if HE just no longer did it. We were able to use it for our water (purchased in advance), soda and wine, and several times we used it to store hard-boiled eggs or other small items to eat later.

Food: I know there are some that don’t enjoy the food in the main dining room. Our group was NOT among them. We enjoyed it very much and if there was something we didn’t like, we simply ordered something else. The ONLY complaint I heard was from my daughter who had wished some of her meals had been warmer. She was right, but I think we were all so hungry we never noticed! For breakfast we almost always had buffet on the lido deck (do not get the scrambled eggs – wait in line for made-to-order eggs or an omelet) but the other buffet breakfast food was good. Ham, potatoes, fruit, French toast and pancakes, pastries; something for pretty much everyone. I had buffet breakfast every day then “second breakfast” with a burrito from BlueIguana Cantina. We only ordered room service breakfast on the day we went to Belize. It was fine but there are not many options. My daughters ordered room service cheesecake and/or cookies and coffee almost every night while they were getting ready to go to their club. For lunch, Guy’s burgers and BlueIguana Cantina were my favorite places, but there was seriously tons of food at the buffet. Many also enjoyed the ice cream numerous times during the day. We ate at the outside BBQ the last sea day. It was just okay. Being born and raised in Texas, I expected much more “kick!” And the chocolate fountain (only one day from noon to 2) was not as good as all were expecting.

Up Next – Day Two: First Sea Day

Day Two: First Sea Day

I am an early riser (along with my mother) so we were up early every morning to watch the sun rise (except for early excursion days). The sunrises were stunning! I wanted to walk a lot so I started the first full sea day by walking around deck 5. It’s 2 ½ laps for one mile. I got two laps in before it started to rain. This day was sort of a wash so we all spent lots of time just exploring and eating!

Both kids were in clubs so we almost never saw them except at dinner.

Before we left, we researched a ton to determine whether we could try to get our 11-year old into the Circle C Club. Based on all that research, I told my husband we should not even try it. We had really wanted her to be able to go because her sister is 15 and would be in the other club, and her cousins on the trip with us were 12 and 14 and would be at Circle C all the time. However, my sister-in-law decided to ask anyway and because there was space, they let her in. We were all extremely happy that she was allowed and the Carnival employee says it is always a case-by-case basis and depends on how many kids they have signed up. This happened on this first sea day, so perhaps if we had asked the night we arrived they would not have known yet how busy the club would be.

On my walk I found the swing outside the Red Frog Pub (I thought it was a swing but it’s more of a glider).

I did go to the gym twice. The first time was this day when it was raining. It was PACKED! The second time it was not as busy but still there were a lot of people using it.

For lunch I had Guy’s burgers. Loved it!

Thing 1 and Thing 2 were found wandering the ship.

I also signed up for the Cheers program this day so if anyone has questions about that I’d be happy to try and answer them.

Tonight was the first elegant night. We also had pictures taken for my mother. They turned out super nice but just be warned, they are expensive! Also, order them as soon as you can because we were still waiting to pick up some pictures the morning we left the ship!

We ended the night at the piano bar. But of course, we stopped for pizza on the way to the room! Every time we had pizza at night we had to wait for it to be made, but it never took longer than 5 minutes.

Up Next – Days 3, 4 and 5: Cozumel, Belize and Mahogany Bay

Day Three: Cozumel

The group of 14 attended a few different excursions, so I can only fill you in on the one I went to. We did the Dolphin Swim & Ride with Unlimited Food & Drink at Dolphinaris. (BTW, we arrived to our room the previous night and found an envelope with all our excursion tickets. The tickets are marked with what time to meet up with your guide outside the ship for your excursion, or in the case of Belize’s excursion, where to meet at what time to get on a tender.)

We had a short taxi ride (almost a large van) to the location where we got a locker for our stuff, waited with our group to get our life vests, then proceeded into the water with the dolphins. The swim and ride was totally worth the money! Yes, we bought the very expensive pictures, but we did work out a deal. We ate in the buffet (kind of bland) and had a few drinks (all included), then kayaked and snorkeled a bit. We wanted to go back before the assigned time so they simply took us back in a taxi early and we did not have to pay for it.

We got back around 1:00 and spent the afternoon getting sun while my youngest explored the water slides. I also snuck off and enjoyed the Serenity deck for a bit.

Day Four: Belize

We had to get up very early for our excursion (Xunantunich Mayan Ruins with Lunch). This was the day I was looking forward to the least but it was really amazing!

You meet first in the Ovation Theater. Our group had to be there very early (I think it was about 7:30). Each excursion group is instructed when to board the tender. This excursion is first.

The tender is about 20 minutes. Not a bad ride at all. Then you board a bus for the 2 hour ride to the ruins. We had a great guide and learned lots about Belize on the way there. When you arrive, you get on a very short ferry across a tiny river, then board vans for the site.

We visited and climbed the site for a few hours. I really can’t describe how amazing it was. The walk up the tallest ruin is not as bad as I thought. You do it in pieces. Just be sure to wear shoes with a grip. Also it was very, very hot! But no bugs whatsoever!

On the ride back you stop to eat a quick meal of chicken, rice and beans (made in coconut milk – fantastic!), and cole slaw. Drinks like soda and beer are extra but cheap ($2 beer and $1 soda). I got to buy some really yummy habanero sauce here ($2 a bottle). There are vendors outside on the way to/from the bus. You won’t have much time to look at what they have if you eat, but we did have enough time to buy coconut earrings and bracelets for my girls.

We got back in time to get on one of the last tenders to the ship. It was HOT waiting in a very long line and a little nerve-wracking because it was so close to the time when we were supposed to already be ON the ship, but because we were on an excursion purchased through Carnival, they won’t leave you!

Tonight we saw the best show of the entire trip. It’s new and was called Flick. The performers sing songs from movies and there is dancing and some light-show work. The technicality of the show was as awesome as the singing! I loved it so much I was second in line to get my picture with the cast!

Day Five: Mahogany Bay

I got up again to watch the sunrise with my mom and was lucky enough to stumble upon the towel theater. It’s so cute!

We had decided to not do any excursions this day and were just going to head out to the Carnival beach. We were alerted by the cruise director that there would be a drill that day and passengers could take part if they wanted. For those who did, they got to get into and sail on a lifeboat so I’m sure that was very cool!

My mom and dad got tickets to ride the chair lift to/from the beach. We chose to walk. It was quicker to walk and it isn’t very far at all! We went back and forth twice (went back to the ship to eat lunch). The beach was fine, just very crowded.

Up Next – Days 6, 7 and 8: Sea Days and Debarkation Day

Day Six and Seven: Second and Third Days at Sea

I experienced a great deal of motion sickness on this cruise and was nervous about this full day so I got some meds from Guest Services. (I had brought non-drowsy Dramamine but was almost out.) The medicine they had made me very drowsy and I was out of it for about 24 hours. Even if you don’t think you will have it, I highly suggest getting the patch before you go! Other family members did and they were perfectly fine.

Both these days were spent getting up to watch the sun rise, getting as much sun as possible, eating as much as I could, hanging on the Serenity deck when I could get away, and drinking lots of drinks!

Friday was the second elegant night in the main dining room.

Saturday morning’s sunrise had what I thought looked like a “Carnival whale tale” cloud. It was simply stunning.

Day Eight: Debarkation Day

We had an early flight back to Maryland so we had to get a letter from Guest Services that allowed us entrance into the Sapphire dining room very early Sunday morning where we waited to be called to leave the ship. (They do not allow you in without the letter!) You take your own luggage with you if you have to choose this option for debarking. This was super quick and easy! We waited outside the ship for the members of our group to go get their cars and come back to get us and our luggage. We had plenty of time to stop for breakfast in Galveston then drive to Houston for our flight. Our last pic of the vacation: sad daughter putting her feet in the ocean in Galveston.

Things we didn’t do even though we had every intention to:

Bonsai Sushi, mini golf, the sky course, thrill theater, watch an entire move at the dive-in, lunch at the Italian restaurant, Indian food, the wok place, dancing at night, relaxing at the library bar.

Can’t wait to do it again! Mom, sister-in-law and I are now talking “girls only” cruise for the future!

Thank you for the review. Happy you had a good time.

I have sailed that itinerary three times and enjoyed the ports, obviously.

My granddaughter and I leave on the Breeze in three days. It will be my first sailing on this ship. Did you try either the sushi bar or the Thrill Theatre?

Great review! Thank you, so very much, for sharing and taking the time out of your day to tell us about your experience. We will be on the Breeze in 45 days!

ROATAN! You didn't get to explore Roatan? Yikes!!!! LOL! To us, this is the best port in the Caribbean and the most beautiful beach in the Caribbean. Hope you get to go explore this beautiful place next time.

Thank you for the review. Happy you had a good time.

I have sailed that itinerary three times and enjoyed the ports, obviously.

My granddaughter and I leave on the Breeze in three days. It will be my first sailing on this ship. Did you try either the sushi bar or the Thrill Theatre?

Unfortunately, no. We were never able to find time for either! My husband and daughters had wanted sushi, but once the girls joined the club, we almost never saw them again! Another reason why we never made it to the Thrill Theatre.

Great review! Thank you, so very much, for sharing and taking the time out of your day to tell us about your experience. We will be on the Breeze in 45 days!

ROATAN! You didn't get to explore Roatan? Yikes!!!! LOL! To us, this is the best port in the Caribbean and the most beautiful beach in the Caribbean. Hope you get to go explore this beautiful place next time.

I know! We had family members who did excursions and they simply LOVED them! Next time. :)

I am so happy to hear about your daughter being able to move up to the bigger kids club. My daughter is 13, and her cousin that is going is 11 and everywhere I read it seemed that they must stick with the proper age groups.

We are leaving this Sunday, so I am hoping since this is the week before most kids go back to school there won't be an issue with too many kids in that older kid club.

Great review by the way!

:)

Things we didn’t do even though we had every intention to:

Bonsai Sushi, mini golf, the sky course, thrill theater, watch an entire move at the dive-in, lunch at the Italian restaurant, Indian food, the wok place, dancing at night, relaxing at the library bar.

Can’t wait to do it again! Mom, sister-in-law and I are now talking “girls only” cruise for the future!

Thanks for the review!

Love the Breeze, will be taking our kiddos on her again next summer. I have a video of our cruise on her in my sig...since you missed the sky course, I have some of it with our kiddos doing it ;-)

Thank you so much for the trip report! I have a few questions as we are going on a family cruise in Jan and none of us have ever been. Did you book the dolphin excursion once on board the ship? How much exactly is expensive for the pics? I keep hearing they are expensive but I would like to know how much that is for planning purposes. I really want to buy the pics since they don't allow cameras but we can only pay so much for them and I would like to know that ahead of time. Thank you!

Thank you so much for the trip report! I have a few questions as we are going on a family cruise in Jan and none of us have ever been. Did you book the dolphin excursion once on board the ship? How much exactly is expensive for the pics? I keep hearing they are expensive but I would like to know how much that is for planning purposes. I really want to buy the pics since they don't allow cameras but we can only pay so much for them and I would like to know that ahead of time. Thank you!

My mom booked all our excursions in advance through Carnival.

The package included all pictures on a CD, a short video on DVD (your pics create the video) and 2 prints. We paid a little over $100 but I do believe that my husband worked with someone there to get the price down to that. We had 7 of us so there were a lot of pictures. He seems to think the offer was 15 pictures on a CD for $75. We had more than 15 pictures so we worked with them to get all of the pics and paid a little more.

Edited by mdchicktxnathrt

My mom booked all our excursions in advance through Carnival.

The package included all pictures on a CD, a short video on DVD (your pics create the video) and 2 prints. We paid a little over $100 but I do believe that my husband worked with someone there to get the price down to that. We had 7 of us so there were a lot of pictures. He seems to think the offer was 15 pictures on a CD for $75. We had more than 15 pictures so we worked with them to get all of the pics and paid a little more.

Thank you so much for your reply! I talked to someone at Dophinarius and was told that if you book through them then you can get one package for $49 or a family package for $189 but if you book through the cruise line, then it's over $300 for the family package. I didn't think that sounded right and wasn't going to fall for it, but just wanted to make sure that it wasn't necessarily true.

Edited by amydresh

Thank you so much for your reply! I talked to someone at Dophinarius and was told that if you book through them then you can get one package for $49 or a family package for $189 but if you book through the cruise line, then it's over $300 for the family package. I didn't think that sounded right and wasn't going to fall for it, but just wanted to make sure that it wasn't necessarily true.

I do believe many excursions are cheaper if you book them straight through the location and not Carnival. The price I gave you was for our pictures only. Not the excursion.

Add more

Which cabin? All I can find are normal sized cabins and your picture shows a huge cabin with a lot of floor space.

The cabin in my pictures is 2485. It was an amazing room! One of the room service attendees came in and exclaimed the entire time "Wow, this room is huge! I've never been in this room before!"

added more