Interesting....."Seafood Corner" now on the Conquest

happy cruzin

That is true.

But, Carnival set a precedent by taking Fish and Chips (the dish) and taking it from free to fee. Now that they have done this, you can't say that they will NEVER take another free lunch item and make it available only with a fee.

Guy's?

Pizza?

Blue Iguana?

Don't believe it can happen - go back to the the Fish and Chips dish. THEY JUST DID IT.

Good post, my gut instincts tell me that the MDR will follow suit.

That is true.

But, Carnival set a precedent by taking Fish and Chips (the dish) and taking it from free to fee. Now that they have done this, you can't say that they will NEVER take another free lunch item and make it available only with a fee.

Guy's?

Pizza?

Blue Iguana?

Don't believe it can happen - go back to the the Fish and Chips dish. THEY JUST DID IT.

Not true on any level. The BBQ took the place of fish and chips. The fish and chips was free. The BBQ is free. It is a one for one swap. The added seafood corner has nothing to do with fish and chips. The seafood corner is an added spot in a completely different location on the ship. Get a clue and stop spreading malicious lies or ignorant opinion.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

That is true.

Guy's?

Pizza?

Blue Iguana?

Be down to bread and water soon.... Come on everyone knows that Royal and NCL are the nickel and dime kings of cruising.

Not true on any level. The BBQ took the place of fish and chips. The fish and chips was free. The BBQ is free. It is a one for one swap. The added seafood corner has nothing to do with fish and chips. The seafood corner is an added spot in a completely different location on the ship. Get a clue and stop spreading malicious lies or ignorant opinion.

Excuse me????????

There is a difference between Fish and Chips, the PLACE and Fish and Chips, the DISH.

YES - the BBQ took the space of Fish and Chips, the PLACE. That is an even swap out of free food options.

It is also a TRUE FACT - and not a malicious lie - that Fish and Chips, the DISH went from free to fee.

Carnival opened a door they can't close when they took a DISH that was free and now make it available as a fee. Carnival set that new precedent. I'm not saying they WILL do it again. BUT, you can't say they will NEVER do it again. And giving some eye-opening EXAMPLES is what I did.

I'm entitled to my opinion, as are you. I'm not into name calling or saying somone's opinion is ignorant. You go right ahead, I'm a big boy. But I think (my opinion - not a malicious lie) you may have lost some credibility in your argument when you made it personal.

Be down to bread and water soon.... Come on everyone knows that Royal and NCL are the nickel and dime kings of cruising.

Yep, Carnival and many of it's customers have prided itself in the fact that they didn't nickel and dime us as much as the other lines.

The changes on the Vista and Conquest show, in my opinion, that they are now ready to head down that slippery slope.

Edited by CruzinScotty

That slippery penny annie stuff has been on Carnival for years, notice you have to pay for a decent steak in the MDR. Watch for further food charges in the MDR in the future. Picture hungry guys on every cruise I've been on. Even on Lido , Drink ? "you want drink "?

Nickle and dime has become Five dollar and ten dollar stuff. No mention of the harassment you get from the spa service :eek:.

I never thought any part of cruising was "all inclusive". Want to play? Gotta pay. Drinks, excursions, spa treatments, specialty food, etc. Only you can customize your vacation to your own special needs.

Personally, after seeing soooooo much food waste on my last cruise (yes, even in the seafood place) I can't really be mad at Carnival for charging a wee little bit extra for some items. Maybe if you wanted it that bad, you would pay a small upcharge for it.

Don't pay extra for the extra things. Maybe the lines will be shorter now. I wouldn't be surprised if Guy's Burgers will be next. :eek:

Excuse me????????

There is a difference between Fish and Chips, the PLACE and Fish and Chips, the DISH.

YES - the BBQ took the space of Fish and Chips, the PLACE. That is an even swap out of free food options.

It is also a TRUE FACT - and not a malicious lie - that Fish and Chips, the DISH went from free to fee.

Carnival opened a door they can't close when they took a DISH that was free and now make it available as a fee. Carnival set that new precedent. I'm not saying they WILL do it again. BUT, you can't say they will NEVER do it again. And giving some eye-opening EXAMPLES is what I did.

I'm entitled to my opinion, as are you. I'm not into name calling or saying somone's opinion is ignorant. You go right ahead, I'm a big boy. But I think (my opinion - not a malicious lie) you may have lost some credibility in your argument when you made it personal.

Yep, Carnival and many of it's customers have prided itself in the fact that they didn't nickel and dime us as much as the other lines.

The changes on the Vista and Conquest show, in my opinion, that they are now ready to head down that slippery slope.

Funny, having spent a cruise on the Vista, my feelings are exactly the opposite. I feel they have reinforced the MDR concept. Of course, one can cherry pick at any one thing and call it the wave of the future.... The fact is they added something more that they have to charge for (unlike them adding more and not charging for like the other lines do (but that is a totally different topic), and it is options (above what they offer all the time.

Lastly, I would be happy to discuss the comparison for nickel and diming between lines. I don't think of it as taking pride in the fact that Carnival is better than the other main cruise lines in this area. They were and are the value proposition in cruising, more importantly they are the FUN proposition. All this slippery slope stuff has the conspiracy ring of the grassy knoll and area 51 to it.

That slippery penny annie stuff has been on Carnival for years, notice you have to pay for a decent steak in the MDR. Watch for further food charges in the MDR in the future. Picture hungry guys on every cruise I've been on. Even on Lido , Drink ? "you want drink "?

Nickle and dime has become Five dollar and ten dollar stuff. No mention of the harassment you get from the spa service :eek:.

spa service..... are they serving food there now?:confused:

spa service..... are they serving food there now?:confused:

That was in reference to high pressure to buy over priced things in the spas.

Not connected to this thread and nothing new. One reason we dont go to any of the discussions on how to make yourself better and detoxify yourself as we find it nonsensical.

Oy! :eek:

$6 for fish and chips? Where I live I figure $12-14. Oh, it's no longer free? Well, too bad.

Also, what was it like on cruise ships 20-30+ years ago? What was offered? I know, as I started cruising in 1985. Anyone, anyone?

Cruise fares are lower than back then, and you still get more included for free, along with your water slides, comedy clubs, and other bells and whistles.

Quit complaining, you have it good and don't know it! :cool:

Funny, having spent a cruise on the Vista, my feelings are exactly the opposite. I feel they have reinforced the MDR concept. Of course, one can cherry pick at any one thing and call it the wave of the future.... The fact is they added something more that they have to charge for (unlike them adding more and not charging for like the other lines do (but that is a totally different topic), and it is options (above what they offer all the time.

Lastly, I would be happy to discuss the comparison for nickel and diming between lines. I don't think of it as taking pride in the fact that Carnival is better than the other main cruise lines in this area. They were and are the value proposition in cruising, more importantly they are the FUN proposition. All this slippery slope stuff has the conspiracy ring of the grassy knoll and area 51 to it.

Thanks for respecting my opinion without questioning it's "ignorance". :rolleyes:

I love the conspiracy ring comment. :)

No need to further debate the nickel and diming of cruise lines. It's happening everywhere. I thought Carnival was doing it less and this move showed they are increasing it; albeit it gives more options. If I'm wrong in how close it is to other lines in how much they nickel and dime; that's my perception purely from reading info here since I haven't cruised on the other lines in a long time. (The other lines I've been on no longer exist, the last being the Big Red Boat. LOL)

And I completely agree that the price and FUN factor are what keep me coming back.

Oy! :eek:

$6 for fish and chips? Where I live I figure $12-14. Oh, it's no longer free? Well, too bad.

Also, what was it like on cruise ships 20-30+ years ago? What was offered? I know, as I started cruising in 1985. Anyone, anyone?

Cruise fares are lower than back then, and you still get more included for free, along with your water slides, comedy clubs, and other bells and whistles.

Quit complaining, you have it good and don't know it! :cool:

My first cruise as a teenager was in 1974. My first as an adult was in 1985. You're not the only one here that remembers those days. I just don't post about that fact as often as you. ;)

I'm entitled to my opinion. I agree there have been many changes and am happy with most of them. But, you can only compare 1985 to 2016 for so long. At some point, it IS OK to compare 2005, or 2010, or 2015 to 2016 as well. :)

That was in reference to high pressure to buy over priced things in the spas.

Not connected to this thread and nothing new. One reason we dont go to any of the discussions on how to make yourself better and detoxify yourself as we find it nonsensical.

I have walked thru the spa to get to the gym.......

Thanks for respecting my opinion without questioning it's "ignorance". :rolleyes:

I love the conspiracy ring comment. :)

No need to further debate the nickel and diming of cruise lines. It's happening everywhere. I thought Carnival was doing it less and this move showed they are increasing it; albeit it gives more options. If I'm wrong in how close it is to other lines in how much they nickel and dime; that's my perception purely from reading info here since I haven't cruised on the other lines in a long time. (The other lines I've been on no longer exist, the last being the Big Red Boat. LOL)

And I completely agree that the price and FUN factor are what keep me coming back.

Fair enough

Personally I don't think I would pay any extra for anything there. I like some seafood ok, but with all the other free food on the cruise, I don't overly see anything there that blows me away to pay for it.

I will do some specialty dining on other lines (mostly if I don't like their dining rooms - NCL). But when on Carnival I don't even spend money on the specialty stuff, I don't buy candy in the candy place, etc. Just leave the tacos and burgers free.

Excuse me????????

I am done with this silly discussion. Personally, I have a hard time not eating too much free food on a cruise. I am not bothered by any way they decide to shuffle things on their ship. And if I were, I would not be on a blog complaining about it. I would instead be voting with my wallet. Too many other things on my bucket list to be wound up about free food.

Okay. I am going to respond as if you actually see logic to what you are saying. Imagine a reality where the BBQ and Seafood Corner were always on the ship. Then comes a day where Carnival announces that is getting rid of the Seafood Corner and BBQ and replacing it with a Fish and Chips. I can only imagine the outcry. That one might actually have some merit.... but not much.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

Somehow I put the following words into the post I quoted.

"I am done with this silly discussion. Personally, I have a hard time not eating too much free food on a cruise. I am not bothered by any way they decide to shuffle things on their ship. And if I were, I would not be on a blog complaining about it. I would instead be voting with my wallet. Too many other things on my bucket list to be wound up about free food."

That mistake gives the appearance that the person who I quoted said those words. They were my words. I edited my post to end with those words. Somehow, I edited the wrong section. This post is here to correct that error. I do not want to ascribe words to another blogger.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

We have made some changes to the Carnival Conquest food offerings in Lido

Replacing Fish and Chips on deck 10 aft is a. On branded BBQ area and judging by first reports it is massively popular

Here is the menu

What would you have?

BBQ:

Pork Butt

Bone in butt, dry-rubbed, slow braised and pulled

Chicken

Dry rubbed and grilled

Smoked Beef

Low and slow cooked beef, thin sliced

Sides:

Mac N Cheese

Potato Salad

Scratch - Made Slaw

Molasses Baked Beans - Slightly Smoky with bacon and burnt ends

Soft Bun

BBQ Sauces:

Brown Sugar

Kansas City

Spicy Sriracha BBQ Sauce

My first cruise as a teenager was in 1974. My first as an adult was in 1985. You're not the only one here that remembers those days. I just don't post about that fact as often as you. ;)

I'm entitled to my opinion. I agree there have been many changes and am happy with most of them. But, you can only compare 1985 to 2016 for so long. At some point, it IS OK to compare 2005, or 2010, or 2015 to 2016 as well. :)

When you consider what you pay today for a cruise, I do not agree!

You get more today, it's as simple as that. :cool:

Somehow I put the following words into the post I quoted.

"I am done with this silly discussion. Personally, I have a hard time not eating too much free food on a cruise. I am not bothered by any way they decide to shuffle things on their ship. And if I were, I would not be on a blog complaining about it. I would instead be voting with my wallet. Too many other things on my bucket list to be wound up about free food."

That mistake gives the appearance that the person who I quoted said those words. They were my words. I edited my post to end with those words. Somehow, I edited the wrong section. This post is here to correct that error. I do not want to ascribe words to another blogger.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Thank you. I knew I hadn't written that paragraph and didn't remember it being in a response to what I had written, either. LOL

I think it's best to agree to disagree. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - and each person's logic may differ and affect that opinion.

I'm obviously in the minority on the effect of this change. I'm fine with that.

Sometimes things just hit a nerve. I don't usually post on these types of threads; I'm more of a "popcorn on the sidelines" kind of guy. :D

In certain ways you do and in other ways not.

Overall entertainment has gone downhill. Production shows were far better than the playlist stuff they are now doing.

Also greatly miss the flyons which are being done away with and replaced with audience participation Hasbro games. Great for kids but dont see it as adult evening entertainment.

Food still have lots of choices but as mentioned before, as long as people accept pay for venues they will replace venues that were included.

And you are entitled to your opinion. In your first post, you specifically asked if anyone had cruised as early as you had in 1985. I have.

I have some different opinions than you. That's OK. But, I've seen you post your opinion on this topic and several different threads.

As I just said in a prior post, I usually stay out of these types of posts. But, since I've jumped in the water, I'll expand on my original response to you.

There is no doubt the cost (with inflation, etc) is much cheaper today than it was 30 year's ago. And, there are many, many more options than there were back then.

But, in my opinion, comparing cruises of 30 years ago to today is like comparing apples to oranges.

If new cruisers, or some older cruisers like myself; want to compare cruising from 5-10 years ago to day - in my opinion - that is closer to comparing different varieties of apples instead of comparing oranges to apples.

Just my opinion. Not everyone that has cruised for 30 years or more has the same exact opinion as you.

And, that's OK.

Edited by CruzinScotty