B2B Star in Alaska questions

dbeckett

We'll be on board the Star in 3 weeks and have some questions which can hopefully be answered here.

As we are doing a B2B in Whittier we are doing the 26 Glacier excursion can anyone comment on the time the excursion returns to the Star so we can work out when we are eating (ideally before the muster drill - before anyone says you don't have to go, as a safety professional we have always done the second one on a B2B so we can use the alternate route and be familiar with it).

I see the information about the Gastropub says available on selected ships - is the Star selected? I have been reading reviews but have never seen it mentioned so I think not but it would be good to know for definite.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

We'll be on board the Star in 3 weeks and have some questions which can hopefully be answered here.

I see the information about the Gastropub says available on selected ships - is the Star selected? I have been reading reviews but have never seen it mentioned so I think not but it would be good to know for definite.

Not unless it's been added in the past couple of months. I suspect it might be added while the ship is out of service for drydock in late October next year.

Loren

We were on the Star Northbound 30 July to 6 August and then did the 26 glacier tour before going to Anchorage. The tour boat docked between 5.30 and 5.45. We had to get in the coach and queue up for the 6pm tunnel opening, which we made.

Whittier is very compact and the cruise terminal is immediately next to the boat dock.

As we are doing a B2B in Whittier we are doing the 26 Glacier excursion can anyone comment on the time the excursion returns to the Star so we can work out when we are eating (ideally before the muster drill - before anyone says you don't have to go, as a safety professional we have always done the second one on a B2B so we can use the alternate route and be familiar with it).

The personalizer where you reserve the excursion should have the starting time. The tour description says it is 5.5 hours long, so you can easily do the math to figure out what time you return to the ship.

On embarkation day in Whittier, dinner is handled differently than on other evenings. Whether you are in anytime or traditional, there are two seatings (open seating), one which will be over before muster and one that starts after muster. When you return to the ship after the tour you will be handed a card indicating which time you should go. They first hand out the early seating cards and when those are all gone, they hand out the later seating cards. They do it this way because many passengers do not board until after the early seating has started.

On embarkation day in Whittier, dinner is handled differently than on other evenings. Whether you are in anytime or traditional, there are two seatings (open seating), one which will be over before muster and one that starts after muster. When you return to the ship after the tour you will be handed a card indicating which time you should go. They first hand out the early seating cards and when those are all gone, they hand out the later seating cards. They do it this way because many passengers do not board until after the early seating has started.

We are scheduled to arrive by train from our land tour at 6:30 pm. What time would we most likely be able to have dinner? Thank you.

From Princess website

The Salty Dog Gastropub is now available on Crown Princess, Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess.

IIRC - I do not think it has been well received, so it may not be added to other ships in the fleet.

I doubt it will be added to any other Princess ships. The Crown, Emerald and Ruby are the only ships that served the Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar which would imply that only those ships have the required food preparation capability in the Wheelhouse Bar. The Wheelhouse Bar on the Grand, Golden and Star are just too small. The Wheelhouse Bar is large enough on the Coral, Island, Diamond and Sapphire but it would probably take a significant retrofit to provide the food service capability. All that was really done on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby was to replace some comfortable chairs with high tables and chairs and this was done without a drydock.

IIRC - I do not think it has been well received, so it may not be added to other ships in the fleet.

You may be right. I gathered from the waitstaff of the Wheelhouse Bar on Emerald that there were hardly customers at the Gastropub.

From Princess website

The Salty Dog Gastropub is now available on Crown Princess, Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess.

I think your right not many good reviews.

Tony