New Converts from Concierge to Aqua Class - Solstice Review August 12-19

Janthere

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise on Solstice August 12-19.

I cruised to Alaska on a similar route 10 years or so ago on Infinity, loved it and was very excited to return this time with my husband who had never been. We chose to sail on Solstice as we love this class of ship and had never been to or sailed out of Seattle before.

From the minute we were dropped off at the pier in Seattle until we cleared customs at the end of the week, everything worked like clockwork on this cruise. Absolutely excellent customer service in all respects.

Solstice was in great condition as usual. We had purchased the GO BEST package and took full advantage of the drinks package, free unlimited internet, OBC etc. The internet for the most part worked very well - with the exception of a few times when we were in more remote areas near glaciers etc. Signing in and out was very easy and unlike our last cruise a few years ago, it was nice not having to go somewhere to create an internet account - you were able to do it all online which saved time and hassle.

We very much prefer having an aft cabin and we were lucky enough this trip to have booked 1674 which was A1 Aqua Class. This cabin has the widest balcony on the aft of it's type. and is 2 levels below the back Oceanview cafe deck. We found it very convenient to the buffet, pool etc. The only negative I would say is we did hear noise outside our cabin door in the mornings as there is a staff service entrance opposite our door where they would pile up room service dishes etc. We really didn't mind it that much though and would definitely book this cabin again in the future.

This was our first time in Aqua class - usually we do Concierge Class. We really enjoyed the much better shower, access to Persian Gardens but most especially having access to Blu. We are picky eaters (like the meat and potatoes kind not the foodie kind) and so were concerned we might not find enough that we actually liked to eat. There was no problem in that regard. We especially like the size and intimacy of Blu vs the main dining room. We already had our next cruise booked in Concierge class but we ended up meeting with the Future Cruise consultant on board who was able to get us into Aqua instead and saved us $300 in cruise fare as well as giving us $300 OBC. As the next one is a 15 night cruise, we felt that we would have spent a fair amount of money on specialty restaurants so now with Blu we don't really need to.

Our cruise stopped in Ketchikan and we opted to do a ship's shore excursion since we had OBC to use up anyway. (normally we would just book directly) We chose the Float plane adventure to Neet Bay to watch the bears. Everything was well organized, not too much waiting, not too big of a crowd thankfully and all in all excellent value. Being able to watch magnificent bears catching salmon after salmon right in front of us was pretty thrilling. At no time did we feel that our safety was at risk - our guide was very professional and we would highly recommend this experience.

On our stop in Juneau we booked a standalone tour with Harv & Marv (special #1) to go whale watching. This was the perfect day as there were only 6 of us on the boat and we saw orcas and humpbacks bubble feeding and even breeching! Absolutely an awe-inspiring experience.

On our stop in Skagway we had booked ahead a Jeep with Green Jeep tours. This was a unique alternative to the White Pass train offered at this stop. It allowed us to be more independent, away from the crowds to explore. We drove up the Klondike Highway (the train goes pretty much parallel to this road through the valley) and were able to stop where and whenever we wanted for as long as we liked. Green Jeep provided a binder full of info for every mile stop as well as a CD for an audio guide. One surprise that we hadn't expected was to have SiriusXM to listen to! Very nice when there are zero radio stations online!

We also used the spa for deep tissue couples massages which were really, really good - as as good or better than any off the ship.

For sure we don't want to wait another 10 years for our next Alaskan cruise - this one was just that great!

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise on Solstice August 12-19.

I cruised to Alaska on a similar route 10 years or so ago on Infinity, loved it and was very excited to return this time with my husband who had never been. We chose to sail on Solstice as we love this class of ship and had never been to or sailed out of Seattle before.

From the minute we were dropped off at the pier in Seattle until we cleared customs at the end of the week, everything worked like clockwork on this cruise. Absolutely excellent customer service in all respects.

Solstice was in great condition as usual. We had purchased the GO BEST package and took full advantage of the drinks package, free unlimited internet, OBC etc. The internet for the most part worked very well - with the exception of a few times when we were in more remote areas near glaciers etc. Signing in and out was very easy and unlike our last cruise a few years ago, it was nice not having to go somewhere to create an internet account - you were able to do it all online which saved time and hassle.

We very much prefer having an aft cabin and we were lucky enough this trip to have booked 1674 which was A1 Aqua Class. This cabin has the widest balcony on the aft of it's type. and is 2 levels below the back Oceanview cafe deck. We found it very convenient to the buffet, pool etc. The only negative I would say is we did hear noise outside our cabin door in the mornings as there is a staff service entrance opposite our door where they would pile up room service dishes etc. We really didn't mind it that much though and would definitely book this cabin again in the future.

This was our first time in Aqua class - usually we do Concierge Class. We really enjoyed the much better shower, access to Persian Gardens but most especially having access to Blu. We are picky eaters (like the meat and potatoes kind not the foodie kind) and so were concerned we might not find enough that we actually liked to eat. There was no problem in that regard. We especially like the size and intimacy of Blu vs the main dining room. We already had our next cruise booked in Concierge class but we ended up meeting with the Future Cruise consultant on board who was able to get us into Aqua instead and saved us $300 in cruise fare as well as giving us $300 OBC. As the next one is a 15 night cruise, we felt that we would have spent a fair amount of money on specialty restaurants so now with Blu we don't really need to.

Our cruise stopped in Ketchikan and we opted to do a ship's shore excursion since we had OBC to use up anyway. (normally we would just book directly) We chose the Float plane adventure to Neet Bay to watch the bears. Everything was well organized, not too much waiting, not too big of a crowd thankfully and all in all excellent value. Being able to watch magnificent bears catching salmon after salmon right in front of us was pretty thrilling. At no time did we feel that our safety was at risk - our guide was very professional and we would highly recommend this experience.

On our stop in Juneau we booked a standalone tour with Harv & Marv (special #1) to go whale watching. This was the perfect day as there were only 6 of us on the boat and we saw orcas and humpbacks bubble feeding and even breeching! Absolutely an awe-inspiring experience.

On our stop in Skagway we had booked ahead a Jeep with Green Jeep tours. This was a unique alternative to the White Pass train offered at this stop. It allowed us to be more independent, away from the crowds to explore. We drove up the Klondike Highway (the train goes pretty much parallel to this road through the valley) and were able to stop where and whenever we wanted for as long as we liked. Green Jeep provided a binder full of info for every mile stop as well as a CD for an audio guide. One surprise that we hadn't expected was to have SiriusXM to listen to! Very nice when there are zero radio stations online!

We also used the spa for deep tissue couples massages which were really, really good - as as good or better than any off the ship.

For sure we don't want to wait another 10 years for our next Alaskan cruise - this one was just that great!

to the "Blu" side of life!!! :) We always book AQ now...just to have the Blu dining experience...we just don't think the MDR experience is that great any more....JMO!!! We don't even use the spa aspect...as DH has heart issues and can't use anything that involves "heat"...but we do enjoy Blu...glad you did as well...we were on Solstice for her first spring T/A years ago...great ship!!! And yes...Alaska is a wonderful place to see/cruise!!! LuAnn

Thanks LuAnn - the last time we cruised (apart from galapagos) was 3 years ago in Concierge class. I understand from reading here that Concierge has really lost a lot of it's extras and isn't really much of a step up from regular veranda anymore. So I guess our timing to choose Aqua is good :-)

Looking forward to the new aft Aqua on Infinity for our next cruise (Panama Canal)!

We are also new Blu converts. :D I booked us into our first Aqua cabin for our Alaskan cruise (May/June on Millie) because I wanted an aft cabin for those awesome views. I was POSITIVE that I would not like Blu because I'm not a big foodie and don't eat that much meat - so I figured DH would be happy, me not at all.

Well - Blu snagged us both at the first dinner. I loved the smaller intimate feel, like specialty dining and the service was like the Celebrity of years gone bye. We loved the food and yes did order the occasional salad off the MDR menu.

Our next cruise (Panama Canal on Infinity) was already booked in a Celebrity suite so while we are excited to try Luminae - knowing that I can head to Blu if I wish makes me happy. We did meet a couple on our Alaska cruise that said they like Blu better than Luminae and loved their Aqua cabin and had just booked onboard for Europe and they felt no need to go back to a suite. I guess we will have to see.

I will add that we only ate breakfast in Blu twice. The first day was not good - cold food and both times the service was slow. We ate in the buffet on the other days because of timing.

Edited by Jane2357

janbear: Thanks for the report on the Solstice. We will join her next month in Honolulu to spend a month onboard so am pleased to read that you experienced excellent customer service.

We have done Aqua Class staterooms on both M- and S-class ships, and I am one of those who prefers Blu on the M-class ships over the S-class ships. We've done six cruises on the Infinity with five of those in Blu, and suspect that you will be pleased with the venue as Blu on a M-class ship is even smaller than on a S-class so feels even more intimate.

Glad everyone is enjoying Aqua/Blu. The first time we ate in Blu, we were in a suite and Luminae's food was too heavy for us. This next cruise we are on a TA to Europe, and again are in a corner aft suite, but will most likely eat in Blu for early dinners. We have completely skipped Aqua Class. My DH knew that if I tried a suite, I would never look back. But it was only $300 more total from a C2. Honestly, I wish that I would have done Aqua, as suites are very high priced now...so, if they keep going up, I will be a Blu girl and sail in Aqua!!!

Personally, I do not care for the configuration on the M class ships, especially due to cruising on the Millie, after the S class ships. They don't have corner aft S1 suites either. Blu on S class is perfect for me and my DH. I am so glad that not everyone agrees with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

Hi OP,

You mention that you had cabin 1674 aft and it was an aqua cabin. I was not aware that Aqua has aft cabins on solstice class. I looked at the diagram and it is purple for 1674 and designated it as a concierge cabin vs an aqua cabin, so now I am confused. Did X redesignate some CC cabins as AQ?

Hi OP,

You mention that you had cabin 1674 aft and it was an aqua cabin. I was not aware that Aqua has aft cabins on solstice class. I looked at the diagram and it is purple for 1674 and designated it as a concierge cabin vs an aqua cabin, so now I am confused. Did X redesignate some CC cabins as AQ?

I also wondered about this.

We love aft cabins but have foregone them on Celebrity because we can't stand the noise in the MDR and MUCH prefer the quiet and intimacy of dinner in Blu.

Would love to be able to have both.

Jane

So glad you enjoyed Blu on your recent cruise.

That awful experience on our cruise together was a one off.

Edited by chamima

Hi OP,

Yes i can confirm that we were on Solstice in an aft aqua class cabin 1674. I didnt know there was such a thing either until I called Celebrity to book this cruise. Loved it!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your input on the Aqua Class stateroom. DH and I are booked for June 30, 2017 and we are so excited:D about being in the Aqua Class stateroom! I have read so much feedback on "Blu" I just can't wait to experience the taste of the Blu. We are in cabin 1627 and this is also our First Alaska cruise and first time on Celebrity!

I love reading about everyone's experiences on this ship, I know when I get there I will know where everything is located blind folded! LOL!

Thanks again for your wonderful input!

Ladytee

I am also an AFT lover, and and AQ lover for Blu. Solstice and only Solstice, has a couple of Aft AQ. None of the other S Class ships have them. Yes, the deck plans do not show them as AQ. They show as CC. I have yet to try a Solstice class ship, especially because of the lack of AQ Aft cabins. I really wish X would convert a more of the Aft CCs on the other ships to AQ! I currently only book Aft on M class AQ on Deck 11.