Will Seabourn hold over a deposit (UK)?

galeforce9

Can anyone help? We have a one week and a 33 night cruise booked. The one week cruise is fully paid up. The 33 night cruise balance is due to the Royal travel agent in about 10 days. My parent has been ill for some time but has just been told she doesn't have much time.

We have travel insurance but know it wouldn't cover us for this circumstance as we have not specifically disclosed it to them previously.

For the one week cruise we are happy to see how things go and hopefully we will be able to travel and leave early if necessary.

The 33 night cruise is further afield and has many more sea days and less accessible ports of call. So my question is, does anyone have experience of seabourn allowing the already paid deposit to be held over to a future cruise (and would the 5% future cruise deposit we used be reapplied to the new cruise)? I appreciate that in the us the deposit would just be repaid, so this is a uk question.

I know I should ask the travel agent and will do in the morning but other experience may or may not be comforting in the mean time.

It is possible we will still be able to travel on the long holiday. As it is I will lose my flights, so I will hold these in the event we are able to hold the deposit over and rebook nearer the cruise if things are more certain then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry to read this Galeforce.

I have SB friends who use a certain regal TA and found themselves in a similar situation. The issue was resolved satisfactorily and future cruise deposit was carried over.

The problem that I can see here is that you must be relatively close to departure date if the final balance is almost due. My friends were about 6 months out from departure, that may have helped their case.

There are no guarantees in this situation, as you know, but the regal ones have a very strong relationship with SB and if anyone can help you out on this, it would be them.

Will keep fingers and toes crossed for you.

The cruise we changed to was actually cheaper than our original one and it didn't seem to cause a problem.

If you have a booking for December 2016 my understanding is that you can change the deposit over onto a cruise departing any time up to December 2017.

Hope you can get sorted out tomorrow.

The cruise we changed to was actually cheaper than our original one and it didn't seem to cause a problem.

If you have a booking for December 2016 my understanding is that you can change the deposit over onto a cruise departing any time up to December 2017.

Hope you can get sorted out tomorrow.

According to my TA, the current Seabourn transfer terms and conditions are...

The cruise must be transferred prior to 90 days before departure.

The new cruise must be at least half of the duration of the current cruise booked.

You say you have travel insurance. Unless the circumstances were such that you might have anticipated the current situation are you sure it's not covered?

For the longer cruise Seabourn may transfer the amount to a future booking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Been in touch with ta. It is 90 days out that is the cut off for being able to swap so unfortunately I have to book another cruise now, for departure in under a year from the previously booked date for at least half the duration (as it is only around 4 days until the 90 day cut off)

This means I have only a few days to commit to a holiday of 17 nights or more when we might be in a similar situation when that holiday comes around (depending how things progress).

I don't wish to sound ungrateful but it would be far better to hold over the deposit so we can book when the situation has resolved itself. Happy with the restriction on length etc. The ta is saying we can't do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think that is how I saw the situation. Sorry you have to commit now when you having a sad time.

It seems unfair that here in the UK we lose our deposits if something happens whereas in the USA cruises can be cancelled with no penalty and the deposit is refunded.

Also, we find that our travel insurance would not cover the situation that you are in. My father in law is coming up to 95 and we worry each time we go away that something might happen to him. Travel insurance would only cover the travellers themselves in case of illness, not close family members.