Penguins in the Falklands

TiogaCruiser

I'm considering an Around the Horn cruise and would like to ask others experiences with the Falklands. Does anyone know when the Kings are typically "in"? Is March too late? I'm thinking about Volunteer Point.

TIA

Wish I could tell you if we were told they were in residence year-round, but I just don't recall. You might try contacting someone like Patrick Watts (we took his private tour to Volunteer Point, excellent experience!) or another tour operator there about it.

Young King Penguins have a very lengthy period of growth, taking 10-12 months to mature from hatching until they leave the colony. Young birds and some adults are still present at the colonies in March and also through the subsequent (austral) winter.

We saw a few King Penguins at Bluff Cove on 22 February 2010. Numbers there are much smaller than at Volunteer Pt. From all accounts, the latter is the place to go if seeing King Penguins is your first priority during a port call at Stanley.

John