3-Day plan from a Bermuda newbie

Dreamer68

Lastly, my family and I totally enjoyed taking the public buses from St. George's all the way back to the Dockyard. It really was like a mini tour....that is if you don't mind not having a commentary. We just sat back and enjoyed the views AND the air-conditioning. LOL!!

You can see a lot from the bus but a taxi tour is way better as a tour. What I like about taking the bus is interacting with Bermudians. As far as the air conditioning, great when it is working, but I have had rides on Bermuda buses with no AC, with open windows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

You can see a lot from the bus but a taxi tour is way better as a tour. What I like about taking the bus is interacting with Bermudians. As far as the air conditioning, great when it is working, but I have had rides on Bermuda buses with no AC, with open windows.

Charles4515!! My other Bermuda guru! :)

DaisyDebmo, these 2 guys are simply awesome!! Just click on their names to see their comments on everything Bermudian and you are in good hands. Because of my family composition and the other family we were traveling with, I chose not to do a taxi tour. Whatever you plan for your family will be best. For. You. Simply because you know yourself and what makes you happy. :)

PS - I do miss chatting up some of these Bermuda pros....too bad I can't be on vacation twice a year for 6 months each. ;)

Thanks Bermuda gurus! I was thinking exactly what was said about the spreadsheet. My problem is my husband doesn't swim. I would love to do some of the watersports, especially the kayaking, but I hate double kayaks. Did them in Mexico with a girlfriend and it is like trying to ride a tandem. I would also love to do the jetski tour. I was going to try paddle boarding, which I have never done. Will definitely stick to the caves and St. George's no matter what. I feel lucky that we didn't go last week or this week. Apparently this week's departure is still in port and not going to Bermuda.

while i'm glad the forecast for next week is nice. doesnt how bad bermuda gets hit this week determine if we even go? assuming perfect weather after nicole are we definitely going? i didnt follow how bad nassau got hit but i see people are already going there. i guess that would be a model to follow?

while i'm glad the forecast for next week is nice. doesnt how bad bermuda gets hit this week determine if we even go? assuming perfect weather after nicole are we definitely going? i didnt follow how bad nassau got hit but i see people are already going there. i guess that would be a model to follow?

Don't mean to hijack the thread but luckinpa, I too am in PA, Northeastern. Hopefully this will go off without a hitch. Got stuck at sea in a hurricane, once, and yes, in October.

At this time Nicole is a threat, not a sure thing. It tracks about 45 miles from Bermuda on Thursday. And gone by the weekend. You should know before your ship sails. I would chill out right now. Nothing you can do about it. It will be what it will be.

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks Bermuda gurus! I was thinking exactly what was said about the spreadsheet. My problem is my husband doesn't swim. I would love to do some of the watersports, especially the kayaking, but I hate double kayaks. Did them in Mexico with a girlfriend and it is like trying to ride a tandem. I would also love to do the jetski tour. I was going to try paddle boarding, which I have never done. Will definitely stick to the caves and St. George's no matter what. I feel lucky that we didn't go last week or this week. Apparently this week's departure is still in port and not going to Bermuda.

DaisyDebmo, I too do not swim...I pretend I do (LOL!) which is why of all the water options given to us, I chose the Boston Whaler. I was tempted by the kayaking but in the event my short little arms failed me, I figured a small engine could at least bring me "home" to the marina. The jetski tour looks like a blast....but I don't like all the bumping around nor the high speed. Or at least, I have to be prepared mentally for it. People on these boards swear by the stuff they love. So, throughout my 2 reviews, I have been trying to remind peeps to know what you love and what you are opened to and you'd come back with a generally positive review like mine.

So sorry to hear about the recent departures. If you have not yet done so, you might want to check out the webcam at the Dockyard daily. I did that and it was helpful to me to see what the weather looked like at different times of the day. Here's the website, the Norwegian Dawn is currently docked there now, Canadian Thanksgiving Monday, Oct. 10th, at 11:29 EST - http://www.portbermudawebcam.com/

You can also check out their FB page here. I love the work of Willy Freeman who welcomes all the ships into port. The latest update is he's been asked to evacuate the marina :( - https://www.facebook.com/Port.Bermuda.Webcam/?fref=ts

Like Charles4515 says, there is nothing you can do now. Stick close to your e-mails and the cruise line should be notifying all of you. I hope Nicole and the rest of her hurricane buddies will playing out in the waters and not hit any of our island friends. My DD16's school is linked to a network of 12 schools in northwest Haiti (our kids raise funds to help support these other kids) and we are still waiting for concrete news of how much destruction has swept across that part of the country and if all those kids are fine. The last time, cholera claimed lives.... :(

I hope you all have a wonderful and safe time on your scheduled cruise. If a reroute comes to pass, you are still going to be fed and treated like kings. The inconvenience will really be simply a #firstworldproblem compared to what the Haitians are picking through now....

Have a safe trip, DaisyDebmo and Luckyinpa.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all the tips and pictures, we will be bringing our two teens in Spring and I am just in planning process now. Your post is most helpful!

You are most welcomed! If you have any questions, ask away. Otherwise, scroll down the tonne of information on the Forum boards and most likely, your question will be answered without having to be asked. :)

Dreamer68 - how did you enjoy the Summit to Bermuda? I have one child (11 years old) and deciding between Summit and Breakaway to Bermuda. Did you factor in the ship's activities and entertainment for your children before making your decision? Would be interested to hear your take on it. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Such a great review! We are hoping to book for July 2018 for Bermuda when NCL takes the Escape there. Your pictures were absolutely stunning. I've already started taking some notes from your posts and others who have chimed in. Silly question though, I know you are docked anywhere from 2 1/2-3 days. Do they allow you to come and go all through the night or is there a designated "onboard" time?

Such a great review! We are hoping to book for July 2018 for Bermuda when NCL takes the Escape there. Your pictures were absolutely stunning. I've already started taking some notes from your posts and others who have chimed in. Silly question though, I know you are docked anywhere from 2 1/2-3 days. Do they allow you to come and go all through the night or is there a designated "onboard" time?

You can go and return at any time. The only time you have to be on board is 30 - 45 minutes before the cruise ship departs Bermuda.

SBtS