LIVE from the Viking Sea - Sept. 16 Venice to Athens along the Adriatic Sea

artbcpa

Artbcpa - I just wanted to say thank you again for all the information you have shared. We are 111 days away from sailing Venice to Athens and are really getting excited now! Your perspective on the ports, dining and excursions will be very helpful to us as we make our decisions after the first of the year. Best wishes to you and Ellie for a very happy holiday season and new year! I see you are sailing again soon. Bon Voyage!

• 1 month later...

We will be on the Viking Star Venice to Athens in March and appreciate all the information you posted as it will be very helpful for our cruise. We arrive early on the day of embarkation and have the Viking air/transfers so are set there. We depart at 11pm so have much of the day open. I am wondering if Viking offers any transfers/shuttles from the ship to the Rialto Bridge or St. Marks Square area during the day we will be docked in Venice. We do not plan to do any of the fee based excursions offered in Venice but want to wander on our own. Thank you for any information on the arrival day in Venice.

We will be on the Viking Star Venice to Athens in March and appreciate all the information you posted as it will be very helpful for our cruise. We arrive early on the day of embarkation and have the Viking air/transfers so are set there. We depart at 11pm so have much of the day open. I am wondering if Viking offers any transfers/shuttles from the ship to the Rialto Bridge or St. Marks Square area during the day we will be docked in Venice. We do not plan to do any of the fee based excursions offered in Venice but want to wander on our own. Thank you for any information on the arrival day in Venice.

Milliegirl, I wish I had an answer for you but I do know that transfers and shuttles in Venice have been discussed a number of times in this forum in a couple of different threads. It is arduous but a search for the words 'Venice' and 'shuttle' may help you find those older posts.

Please forgive my spelling. The easiest way around Venice is by Vaporetto, the equivalent of a bus, which travels on the water.

Make your way from Maritima (where the ship is) to the people mover which will take you to Piazzela Roma, where you can buy tickets for the Vaporetto. This places you near the beginning of the main canal. You ride a Vaporetto to the Rialto Bridge, then on to St Mark's Square. Rialto Bridge is nice to look at, but doesn't need much time. Spend more time in and around St Mark's. There are many things to see.

You can walk from St Mark's to Piazzela Roma, but it is easy to get turned around and quite lost. All other transportation in Venice is by boat. Water taxis are lots of money. Gondolas are romantic, traghetos are like passenger gondolas to take you across the canal where there is no bridge.

Have fun, it is a good experience. Have some 1 or 2 euro coins for the people mover, best and easiest. 2 euro each way per person (spring 2016). Vending machine.

Milliegirl, I wish I had an answer for you but I do know that transfers and shuttles in Venice have been discussed a number of times in this forum in a couple of different threads. It is arduous but a search for the words 'Venice' and 'shuttle' may help you find those older posts.

You will need to do something with your luggage as you don't want to drag it around. Below is the info on the baggage storage at Piazzalle Roma--where you can pick up the vaporetto which I would ride all the way to St. Marks. Then walk to the Rialto bridge and then follow the signs to the Railroad Station/Piazzalle Roma. This way is very well marked--not the other way.

The Piazzale Roma (where buses and taxis enter and leave Venice). Click here for a Google satellite map with a pushpin icon that shows the location of the deposito bagagli office. (Note: The office is separate from the Cooperativa's waterside headquarters building.) **

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-left-luggage.htm

Piazzalle Roma also has the every 20 minute express bus to the airport for 8 euro each.

artbcpa I've tried to follow all your posts about your trip from Venice to Athens. We are doing it in March. I did find the name of some of your private party tours but not all. Are you willing to share a list of those you found on Trip Advisor. I also belong but I could not find what you were posting.

Anyone else who has recently made this trip, I'd appreciate the names and contact information for private tour providers that you found good and reasonable. I've NEVER done that and am a little "threatened" by going off with someone I don't know.

I have been very disappointed to find that when I tried to book tours for the trip at the beginning of the day I could, that three of my choices were already "sold out".

Edited by Sunseeker1001

artbcpa I've tried to follow all your posts about your trip from Venice to Athens. We are doing it in March.

Anyone else who has recently made this trip, I'd appreciate the names and contact information for private tour providers that you found good and reasonable.

We did Athens to Venice last August. The non-Viking tours were a bit cheaper than the paid cruise options, private vehicle etc. This helps as you can do a bit more without having to wait for a bus load of people.

For instance in Zadar (Zadar Guided Tours), we did Krka NP (car to Skradin then boat in to the NP) walking tour around the NP, lunch pack provided, back on the boat, then walking tour of Zadar & back to pier. €90 p/p 6+ hrs. The Viking equivalent is $au189 p/p but you drive in to the park rather than by boat. Really beautiful.

In Koper (Istranka Tours) privately did the POSTOJNA CAVE & PREDJAMA CASTLE tour @ €99 p/p (Viking $au244 p/p). No meal included on our tour. Approx 7 hrs. Same itinerary as Viking. Fantastic

Kotor is a delightful place. We used Adventure Montenegro (don't be put of by the name - we,re in our mid 60s). Ours was around 10 hrs @ €85 p/p. Perast & Our Lady of the Rocks followed by Kotor Walking Tour, break for lunch, then drive up to Mt Louvcen (27+ switchbacks!!) to look over Kotor .... truly magnificent and the highlight of our trip.

Google the places mentioned to see if it suits you.

For the other ports we used Viking Free or paid.

Edited by Fitzall

I have been very disappointed to find that when I tried to book tours for the trip at the beginning of the day I could, that three of my choices were already "sold out".

If you are in a V category cabin, that is entirely possible. Contact Viking at tellus@vikingcruises.com and let them know that you are unhappy that the tours you want are sold out and ask them if they will be adding more buses for that tour. Do this especially if it is an included tour that you have been closed out of. They can't always fix these tour problems but they do try.

Thank you both for your input.

Fritzall - None of the places you enjoyed were on my list but I will definitely look at them. I have until 3 days before departure to change my selections.

Peregrina651 I am not sure what category I am in. I have a Deluxe Balcony cabin. I have written to Viking to ask them to open more tours to places like the Acropolis and in Dubrovnik.

• 7 months later...
Do

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please ignore my previous post. Fat finger.

Just wanna say thanks to all poster. This is an informative thread.

I'll be on Viking Sun from Venice to Athens in October.

Please ignore my previous post. Fat finger.

Welcome!

I see that you are new to Cruise Critic, so I just want to let you know that problem posts can be edited once they are posted but only in the first 20 minutes--after that, your mistakes are permanently enshrined. At the bottom of the post window, next to the "quote" button is where you will find the "edit" button.

Welcome!

I see that you are new to Cruise Critic, so I just want to let you know that problem posts can be edited once they are posted but only in the first 20 minutes--after that, your mistakes are permanently enshrined. At the bottom of the post window, next to the "quote" button is where you will find the "edit" button.

Thanks!!!

It's been a while since the last time I posted on any online forum. I'm getting rusty.

It's fun to follow these threads. Will be on a Viking cruise the first time. Definitely looking forward to the voyage.

Thanks!!!

It's been a while since the last time I posted on any online forum. I'm getting rusty.

It's fun to follow these threads. Will be on a Viking cruise the first time. Definitely looking forward to the voyage.

Don't forget the roll call for your cruise. Enjoy your sail!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this wonderful thread. We are taking this trip in March, including a few days in Venice before we sail. This will be my husbands first ocean cruise ever and only my second so we have a lot to learn. We bought the pre cruise Venice add on because the only flights from Oregon get in too late to see any of Venice. Did you get the hotel through Viking or on your own? It isn't clear if anything is included in the pre-cruise package other than the hotel accommodations and, hopefully, a smooth arrivals transfer. Worth it?

Sandi

Thank you so much for this wonderful thread. We are taking this trip in March, including a few days in Venice before we sail. This will be my husbands first ocean cruise ever and only my second so we have a lot to learn. We bought the pre cruise Venice add on because the only flights from Oregon get in too late to see any of Venice. Did you get the hotel through Viking or on your own? It isn't clear if anything is included in the pre-cruise package other than the hotel accommodations and, hopefully, a smooth arrivals transfer. Worth it?

Sandi

Sandi, if you have your airfare through Viking, then transfers to the hotel and then to the ship are included. You should be able to find out details of what is included in the package online or if not, ask your booking agent or travel agent to get you the information.

Sandi,

In addition to the transfers, typically your precruise package includes breakfast at the hotel, and an orientation tour the first morning. There is also a "host" desk where you will be able to go for questions about activities in the area, make restaurant reservations, etc. I have always found the Viking employees at the host desk to be very friendly and eager to help.

Becki

If you are in a V category cabin, that is entirely possible. Contact Viking at tellus@vikingcruises.com and let them know that you are unhappy that the tours you want are sold out and ask them if they will be adding more buses for that tour. Do this especially if it is an included tour that you have been closed out of. They can't always fix these tour problems but they do try.

Can you miss out on included tours also?? That's not on. That is part of what is included in your tour price, otherwise why pay for a cruise that includes tours.

Can you miss out on included tours also?? That's not on. That is part of what is included in your tour price, otherwise why pay for a cruise that includes tours.

It happens every now and then and that is why it is important to contact Viking immediately and get it fixed before you sail if it does, because, you are right, it is included in the price. It makes things less stressful if you deal with it immediately instead of waiting to take care of it when you board the ship.