Silhouette Questions

CCURN

Sailing on Silhouette in March to eastern Caribbean. What night(s) are pictures taken? When we cruised with Celebrity before, they had multiple locations every night to get pictures taken. Is that how they still do pictures? I heard dress code changed and there is no longer formal nights. Can someone explain this further and provide examples of appropriate attire. Any feedback (positive or negative) on excursions to Puerto Rico, St Thomas and St Maarten would be most appreciated. Final question is about dining. Reserved dining was unavailable. I've read mixed reviews on anytime dining. If 4 of us wants to eat in main dining room, any suggestions so we don't have to stand in long lines? Thanks so much!!

Please check out this post on CruiseCritic - it was the press release that defines Chic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6642

The still have photo setups many nights during the cruise - not just the designated Chic nights. You will find more set up on these nights in the regular places.

"Portrait opportunities on evening chic nights also will be expanded, with locations opened up on the Lawn Club (on Solstice-class ships) and other sophisticated venues."

Edited by Jim_Iain

Check with your Roll Call here (click above and scroll to your exact sailing and begin conversations with those who will be sailing with you). There will likely already be some discussion about tours - more likely better independent excursions. Check Trip Advisor to see what the top tours are in each of those ports. And check the ports section here.

We've been to those ports many many times. My husband is an avid golfer and has played Mallard Cove in St. Thomas, but doesn't like it as well as other Caribbean ports.

We have gone to a couple beaches (Magan's Bay and Sapphire) in St. Thomas, and have done a snorkel tour on a pirate ship. I went to the lovely island of St. John (when he was golfing), and I have spent a long day shopping in town. It's a beautiful island. First time there we took a tour - hired a taxi on the spot and he took us everywhere. It was much better than the ship's tours because he avoided all the stops to patronize the shops and we saw things through HIS eyes and we had our own schedule.

In St. Maarten a fun thing is to do the America's Cup Race. We took a taxi once to the French side and had a lovely meal and shopping in Marigot. Some people like to go to Maho Beach and watch the planes come in (You Tube that if you don't know what I'm talking about!!!). Orient Beach is nice. <--- (some of it is clothing optional)

The photographers are available each night however on the evening chic there are multiple locations. One by the staircase between 4 and 5. One outside cellar masters. One at the bottom of the atrium steps and one at celebrity central. There is a full thread just on evening chic and recommend searching for it. Select dining is easy to sort. You can book and reserve online before you sail for every day if you wish to. Select works great for us, we book the first and last day online then each day book the next if we want or just wait to check the whats on before selecting when to go.

For places to go I suggest you check out the port boards, use what celebrity have as a starter for research. A couple of good catamaran cruises in st thomas, lovely beaches or island tours.

Silhouette also has its own Facebook page

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Tiggertastic

You can make Select Dining reservations on line before you go. Do it soon as the choice times do fill up. We have done it a number of times and never had to wait more than a few minutes.

I will second the suggestion that you join the roll call for your cruise. Roll calls can provide a lot of good information and give you the chance to join smaller groups for private tours. In general ship's tours are large groups on big buses. St. Thomas itself is very walkable but some like to visit St John for the day. If that is on your mind then a ship's tour is a better choice.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a car in St. Maarten (Dec. 24...busiest day of the year?), had lunch at Rainbow Cafe in Grand Case (Quite sure it was G.C. anyway, but you can look it up). It is right on a beautiful beach, where they will supply beach chairs and serve you on the beach if you are eating (or drinking) there. Great spot, very casual. We then drove the eastern route back to the ship. Not nearly as congested. Have fun!

I felt bad that I wasn't sure that the Rainbow Cafe was in Grand Case, so I looked it up, and it is. Also found out that the beach chairs and umbrellas are free if you are eating and/or drinking there. We stayed on the balcony that overlooks the beach because my husband has that "white Irish skin" that burns in a flash, but it is literally RIGHT THERE, just a few steps from the water. BEAUTIFUL!

If you've never been to Puerto Rico before, El Morro is a great military fort and you can walk along the walkway by the fort, along the Old City walls. The Old city is not very big and is easily walkable although its very hilly going north-south, but if you walk the streets going east-west, it's pretty flat.

If you are interested in the Bacardi Factory, there is a ferry along the pier that you take across the Bay. Once there, there are people with vans that will take 6-8 people to the factory for about $10 each way. It's 6 miles from the pier so you can't really walk it. When you come out of the factory, there are vans waiting in the parking lot to take you back.

There are some really good restaurants in the Old City as well. Check on Tripadvisor for what might interest you.

If you are going to be in San Juan overnight and have the time, Bioluminescent Bay is fantastic! We contacted the company that does the tours, which is about an hour outside of San Juan, and they hire drivers to pick people up at the different San Juan hotels and then bring them back. It's usually from about 4pm-10pm in total.

The El Yunque Rain Forest is also very interesting and makes for a nice afternoon.

We have been to San Juan 7 or 8 times, both as a port city on a cruise as well as an embarkation point for a cruise, where we've spent 2 or 3 days pre cruise when that has happened. It's a very nice city. It's generally always hot and humid. The people are friendly and most of the younger people speak english well. They use US dollars.

St. Thomas does have Megan's Bay, which is pretty as well as a couple of plantation tours. It also has the oldest Synogogue in the Northern Hemispere and it's interesting as it has a sand floor. There is also a large outdoor market that has blue tarps that you can see from the ship and has knock off purses, jewelry, clothing and island art.

St. Maarten has lovely beaches. Orient Beach offers a nude beach. There is also Maho Beach, which is where the large planes come in to the airport, directly over your head. There is a bar along the beach that lists the times the planes will be arriving and there's always a crowd there. We used Bernard Tours when we were there last and had an all day private tour with them. They were great to work with.

Have fun in your planning.

Kim

If you are leaving on the 12th, then we are on the same cruise. The ports are all nice but st Maarten being the most laid back and friendly. We did select dining on the reflection back in mar 15 and only had one issue with the first formal night. We went during prime time and had to wait 30 minutes for a table. Photographers are very prominent on formal/ chic night.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all fellow cruisers this is my first time cruising on this ship . on our previous cruises we were allowed to carry on water and soda I just want to confirm that we are still allowed to bring on board water and soda at the start of a cruise . I understand they have to be glass or can can anyone confirm if they cruised with this ship and can give me the low down ?

Evening all fellow cruisers this is my first time cruising on this ship . on our previous cruises we were allowed to carry on water and soda I just want to confirm that we are still allowed to bring on board water and soda at the start of a cruise . I understand they have to be glass or can can anyone confirm if they cruised with this ship and can give me the low down ?

Soda and water are fine, no regulations on glass or can. I usually put a luggage tag on a case of water and it is delivered to the room. Don't drink soda.

Sailing on Silhouette in March to eastern Caribbean. What night(s) are pictures taken? When we cruised with Celebrity before, they had multiple locations every night to get pictures taken. Is that how they still do pictures? I heard dress code changed and there is no longer formal nights. Can someone explain this further and provide examples of appropriate attire. Any feedback (positive or negative) on excursions to Puerto Rico, St Thomas and St Maarten would be most appreciated. Final question is about dining. Reserved dining was unavailable. I've read mixed reviews on anytime dining. If 4 of us wants to eat in main dining room, any suggestions so we don't have to stand in long lines? Thanks so much!!

If you can't get traditional dining, see the maitre'd in the dining room upon boarding. People will be switching from traditional to Select since Select is more popular now.

Soda and water are fine, no regulations on glass or can. I usually put a luggage tag on a case of water and it is delivered to the room. Don't drink soda.

When was the last time you cruised on the ship?

Are you sure we can bring water bottles in board someone one else told me no that's why I'm double checking

When was the last time you cruised on the ship?

Are you sure we can bring water bottles in board someone one else told me no that's why I'm double checking

I just returned from the Silhouette (oct 8). We put some luggage tags on 3 trays of half liters (plastic) and they were delivered to our cabin without any problem. The steward cleared our fridge and in they went. But I also found the tap water drinkable on the ship, that is a personal choice of course ;-)

Edited by Fawkes66

I am on 10 Celebrity Cruises this year and chic nights are great fun. Some ladies still wear long dresses although cocktail dresses predominate. Men wear sport coats and no ties. Tuxedoes are gone, but ladies still enjoy the opportunity for a little bling.

As to seating, if you come before 7pm there should be no problem. You can still make reservations. If the 4 of you are willing to share a table for 6 or 8 and meet new folks, seating is almost immediate. I almost always use select dining and share a large table.

As to Puerto Rico, walk the wall in the old town, go to the Bacardi Factory for a tour and tasting, or my favorite, go to Arecibo, the setting the for Jodie Foster movie Contact.

Depending on where your ship docks, the hop-on, hop-off trolley is free and very neat. I really enjoyed just riding the entire loop before getting off the first time. See so much and just relax, with the locals. One kinda humorous tidbit, no food or drink is allowed, so I witnessed a mom trying to get her little one to hurriedly eat her ice cream so they could board. Not gonna happen! So, I guess they waited for the next one. And as I recall, the trolley took us right up to the entrance of El Morro, which was fun seeing all the kites being flown on that vast lawn. Finally, sort of across from the dock, there is a large CVS. Useful info!