Scooter question

kansasrookie

You will likely get a more specific answer if you post this question on the Carnival forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

But I think it's unlikely that most scooters would fit through the door of a normal stateroom. No problem fitting into a Handicapped Accessible cabin, though.

You could also try calling Carnival to speak with someone in their Disabilities section.

Edited by mom says

First time on a cruise. Just wondering if one of those rented scooters will fit in a inside cabin lido deck on the Carnival Breeze.

The problem with a scooter is not so much getting it through the door but where you will put it after you are inside. Same cabins have a layout that would keep you from getting to the bathroom or to your bed without the scooter being in the way. It must be charged in your cabin and cannot be left in the hall or in other public areas. Contact Carnival's Special needs here for advice on whether your cabin is suitable for scooter users. I just noticed you are sailing in three weeks so you need to do this now! They may have to move you and I hope there is something available to move you to.

Edited by BlueRiband

I agree.... research the width of the door and WHERE you plan to park the scooter.

I had a transport chair and it was a nuisance even when folded in the room.

I think door widths vary from ship to ship and floor to floor. My transport chair is 23" wide with a passenger.... The entrance way is a few inches narrower for my HAL/Princess ocean view rooms.

Edited by xlxo

I use a scooter, and unless you have a larger cabin, there's no place to put the scooter in the cabin without blocking your way to either the bed, bathroom, or balcony. And you absolutely cannot park a scooter in the hallway, as it's against the SOLAS rules, as you'll be blocking anyone who has to pass your cabin.

Most cabin doors are 21 inches wide, between the two door jams, and if you take off the arm rests you MIGHT fit it through the door. I've been in regular cabins and my scooter has fit through the doorway, unlike what CB at sea has written. But, I only cruise with my smaller Go Go Traveler scooter and not one of the larger, three or four wheel scooters.

You might want to check into a Luggie scooter that is very compact and can fold easily to fit in your cabin. Generally, those rented scooters are the big ones and won't fit into a regular cabin without causing a lot of problems for you inside the cabin.

Edited by kitty9

I should add... forget the idea of parking your wheelchair/scooters outside your room. The hallways are extremely narrow... especially when trying to walk past someone.

I've seen plates left outside the cabin get stepped on.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Glad we could help. Scooter rental companies only provide the scooter. It's the passenger's responsibility to check if their cabin can accommodate it.

If you rent you have no control over what size scooter they eventually provide. I had a table mate with a rented scooter who lamented that she didn't expect it to be so big. Despite having an HC mini-suite she also complained about the nuisance it was to have it inside.

Only you can decide if renting one will be a help or a burden.

Edited by BlueRiband

First time on a cruise. Just wondering if one of those rented scooters will fit in a inside cabin lido deck on the Carnival Breeze.

as general rule you must have a handicapped accessible cabin as they will not fit through the regular cabin doors. some get away with removing the arms. but the bigger issue is that once inside there is ZERO room to maneuver, let alone get around in the cabin, with one in a standard cabin

you may NOT leave it outside of the cabin either, not even for just a few minutes, let alone overnight to charge.