hurricane matthew question

jd10013

just looking for opinions, but I'm booked on the Ecstasy for Saturday the 8th of October out of Charleston. however, the state of south Carolina just issued a state of emergency and evacuation of coastal areas beginning tomorrow. there isn't any chance this cruise doesn't get cancelled, is there? they can't expect people to get there with all traffic directed to outbound and an evacuation order in place can they?

Edited by jd10013

it's possible but unlikely they would cancel entirely. more likely than not they may delay embarkation and shorten the cruise if the port is not open. keep an eye on carnival.com for updates. currently it says they will make decisions regarding additional changes tomorrow after 8pm.

Edited by falkcor

Not likely that they will cancel completely. They will exhaust all other options such as delaying the cruise by a day or two before they completely cancel. Be sure to check on Carnival.com and subscribe to the text alerts on your online check in so you know if something does change.

just looking for opinions, but I'm booked on the Ecstasy for Saturday the 8th of October out of Charleston. however, the state of south Carolina just issued a state of emergency and evacuation of coastal areas beginning tomorrow. there isn't any chance this cruise doesn't get cancelled, is there? they can't expect people to get there with all traffic directed to outbound and an evacuation order in place can they?

Extremely good question.. I would be on the phone with your travel agent or the cruise line... Good Luck

The worst of the storm will be near Charleston Saturday afternoon and I think the Port of Charleston will be closed...

We have a house on Edisto Beach.. We have boarded up and headed to the city house.. I'm worried it won't be there when we return...:eek:

We are scheduled to go out on the Pride on Sunday - here's the latest from Carnival Website -

HURRICANE MATTHEW

Weather Update – 10/05/16 – 8:00 AM (EST)

We continue to closely monitor the storm system and projected path of Hurricane Matthew and Tropical Storm Nicole which has now developed in the Atlantic. Overnight, there has been a significant shift in the storm forecast. We are in the process of adjusting our contingency plans accordingly and will post updates as soon as our plans have been finalized.

Additionally, to stay up to date on any changes that may affect your sailing, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

We apologize for the tremendous inconvenience the storm is causing and thank you for your understanding.

Carnival Sunshine 10/8 CCL1

Carnival Fantasy 10/7 CCL2

Carnival Magic 10/8 CCL3

Carnival Sensation 10/6 CCL4

Carnival Pride 10/9 CCL5

Carnival Valor 10/8 CCL6

Carnival Ecstasy 10/8 CCL7

Carnival Victory 10/6 CCL8

Carnival Elation 10/8 CCL9

I live in Charleston and there is mandatory evacuation and reversal of the interstate starting at 3:00 today. You will probably not be able to get anywhere near downtown. The police will not let you, and it will probably be underwater. The traffic is already a mess, and gas lines are two and three hours long. Airport closing too, just do not have a time yet.

Carnival Ecstasy – October 8 Departure

The Port of Charleston will likely be closed on Saturday and, as a result, Carnival Ecstasy is not expected to arrive until Sunday. If the port re-opens on Sunday, we will operate a six-day cruise departing Sunday with an overnight stay in Nassau as well as a call in Freeport, pending post-storm assessments of our destinations. Guest who sail will receive a pro-rated refund equal to the amount of one day of their cruise fare as well as a refund for pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions for Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. Refunds will be automatically processed to the original form of payment within three weeks. Gratuities will be adjusted to reflect the shortened cruise.

We anticipate having another update available on Carnival Ecstasy’s itinerary on Saturday afternoon. We certainly understand the impact this unexpected change has on your travel plans. Should you wish to cancel, you may do so with a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL.

Carnival Ecstasy – October 8 Departure

The Port of Charleston will likely be closed on Saturday and, as a result, Carnival Ecstasy is not expected to arrive until Sunday. If the port re-opens on Sunday, we will operate a six-day cruise departing Sunday with an overnight stay in Nassau as well as a call in Freeport, pending post-storm assessments of our destinations. Guest who sail will receive a pro-rated refund equal to the amount of one day of their cruise fare as well as a refund for pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions for Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. Refunds will be automatically processed to the original form of payment within three weeks. Gratuities will be adjusted to reflect the shortened cruise.

We anticipate having another update available on Carnival Ecstasy’s itinerary on Saturday afternoon. We certainly understand the impact this unexpected change has on your travel plans. Should you wish to cancel, you may do so with a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL.

Really.... Nassau and Freeport... Optimistic to take people there 3-4 days after a cat 4 goes over and or right by there locations... Meanwhile HMC and GT on the outer skirts of the path and I am sure they received not near the rain, wind or surge... This is even if they can get out of Charleston and down to the islands as Matthew may be doing a loop back to Fla...

I have a novel idea, cancel the cruise, refund everyone there $$$ and take the boat out to sea for six days and let the crew party and reward them for all there hard work...)

You will probably not be going anywhere.

Strange , I just did a mock booking on Ecstasy Oct 8th, Carnival's site. Sure enough it shows availability in all categories :eek:

a cruise sailing in a few days should be sold out and not taking bookings at all right? maybe there are a lot of cancellations... and they may be taking reservations for whatever it ends up being.

another question for anybody who might know. what all does carnival take into consideration when altering the cruise? Is it simply a matter of the port being open? if, say carnival gives the green light for a sun embarkation, can I assume that there will be no problems getting to the terminal and on the ship? that's where I'm really confused now. I don't want to drive to SC only to find out I can't get to the port and have to go back.

a cruise sailing in a few days should be sold out and not taking bookings at all right? maybe there are a lot of cancellations... and they may be taking reservations for whatever it ends up being.

Yes, my point was canceled bookings and it reopened for booking. Also that the price was still the same. In the past the price would have dropped.