Secrets on the Anthem

Anthem outside observation wings. head all the way to the front of the solarium, then walk all the way to either side. You'll find an inconspicuous door leading to an observation deck that juts out of the side of the ship giving you a view normally reserved to only the ships officers.

dp

Wanted to add to this - I found you can't just open the doors, theres a little hand sensor, I believe opposite from the door, that you wave your hand by to open it. I only realized this after we got back home and I watched a video about it. I believe there's also a sensor like that to open the door to get back inside again.

We found this helpful as we frequented Michaels Pub and Two70, probably our two favorite interior spots besides the Solarium. Michaels, in our opinion, has the best burgers on the ship and great food overall.

Anyway, if you head outside, at least on the port side from (I think deck 5, same deck as the main Two70 entrance, so either 4 or 5 I think) near the theater, you will found you can get from that forward location, all the way to a back entrance to Two70, without any of the hub bub on those busy interior decks. No waiting to pass anyone, or having to go through a crowd, just get on the outside track and book it for the other end of the ship. We loved this because, as I mentioned, we often would go from Michaels to Two70 or vice versa and enjoyed being able to avoid most of the crowd.

I am not sure if this has changed but when we were on the anthem in December we went to lunch at Cafe 270 and as we walked around the ship we discovered the bumper cars and North star wete both open without reservations and no lines. We were able to do both the first day we actually went on the bumper cars twice. We loved the anthem have a great cruise. :)

We found this helpful as we frequented Michaels Pub and Two70, probably our two favorite interior spots besides the Solarium. Michaels, in our opinion, has the best burgers on the ship and great food overall.

Anyway, if you head outside, at least on the port side from (I think deck 5, same deck as the main Two70 entrance, so either 4 or 5 I think) near the theater, you will found you can get from that forward location, all the way to a back entrance to Two70, without any of the hub bub on those busy interior decks. No waiting to pass anyone, or having to go through a crowd, just get on the outside track and book it for the other end of the ship. We loved this because, as I mentioned, we often would go from Michaels to Two70 or vice versa and enjoyed being able to avoid most of the crowd.

Thank you !! :)

Go to the theatre -- they were able to access all reservations (except dining) so you should be ok going there.

When we cruised (July) - the puzzle room was available to book online about 2 weeks prior to sailing. Everything else was closed, but the puzzle room was open to reserve.

If you get to the cruise port early enough, the Windjammer Buffet won't be crowded. We arrived about 10:30 and were walking on the ship about 11:45 and buffet wasn't crowded. We also tried Cafe 270 after that and were not impressed except for the Roast Beef sandwich. I don't know what they flavor that meat with, but it's delicious! The other small panini type sandwiches and salads lack ingredients and meat. If avocado is listed as a main ingredient in a sandwich or salad, you shouldn't have to open the sandwich to search for the tiny piece that is in it.....lame!

Dina

Go to the theatre -- they were able to access all reservations (except dining) so you should be ok going there.

When we cruised (July) - the puzzle room was available to book online about 2 weeks prior to sailing. Everything else was closed, but the puzzle room was open to reserve.

What is the Puzzle Room? We just booked Anthem for next year, but I haven't had time to study the ship quite yet.

Is the Solarium Bistro open for lunch on embarkation day?

Yes, open for lunch. It's a buffet and had a smaller version of food served in Windjammer plus a few more healthy choices. We enjoyed eating there because it was very calm and much more quiet than the Windjammer.

We hit every free food venue on embarkation day, lol.

Dina

Is lunch at 270 on embarkation day, order off a menu? Or a buffet style?

Cafe 270 is like a small deli (similar to Park Café on the Oasis class ships) -- there are 2 counters to order from: one with the famous Kummelweck (roast beef) sandwiches, and other Paninis that are heated, and a salad bar counter where you tell them what to add, and they make the salad for you. There is also a separate dessert counter that had Oreo cheesecake (the only place I saw it!) and mini eclairs.

The main 270 area is a big open seating area that is a venue for various things -- or just dining. I've seen the line for the sandwiches get quite long.

Hi :)

Nice post, some helpful & interesting secrets/tips listed. My wife & I will be sailing aboard the Anthem during the February 7th to 19th Valentine's 12-day voyage. I have a question that's kind of outside of the box, and think this might be a good post to ask it. Does anyone know the location of the lucky coins on the Anthem?

:)

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/rkUAAOSwoBtW3zM5/s-l225.jpg

Do they come around with after dinner drinks in the aperitif glass in The Grande.

We didn't go to Grande when we were on Anthem (too much seafood -- severe food allergies) but I have seen them in the MDR of other ships after dinner. Also - I've seen these and other barware items sold in the Promenade of various RC ships. On Anthem, there were a few tables set up in front of Michael's Pub selling various glasses, etc.

I have a Royal double wall plastic cup with straw that I got for $1 on Rhapsody a few years ago. ONE DOLLAR !!!

Hi :)

Nice post, some helpful & interesting secrets/tips listed. My wife & I will be sailing aboard the Anthem during the February 7th to 19th Valentine's 12-day voyage. I have a question that's kind of outside of the box, and think this might be a good post to ask it. Does anyone know the location of the lucky coins on the Anthem?

:)

I'm not sure what you mean by lucky coins but I'm going to take a guess! haha If you are referring to the pennies you can press with different images on them the machine is right inside American Icon's entrance.

If you are referring to something else, I am genuinely intrigued now! :D

• 1 month later...

First time cruising here.

My wife is a big fan of indian and filipino food. Not fancy gourmet stuff, just regular homey ethnic food. I hear on some cruises if you ask the waiter nicely (maybe a day in advance too), they can bring you something from the crew menu which is usually prepared by Filipino and Indian cooks.

Has anyone done this on Anthem or any other RCCL cruise?

I don't think you can book Puzzlebreak online. Go to SeaPlex as soon as you board and find the line to book it.

If you want to rollerskate/bumpercars, pay close attention to the Compass. Some times are adults only. Arrive approx. 20 min. before the session begins. If you haven't signed a waiver yet, arrive at least 30min. before to sign the waiver (separate line).

Eat at Wonderland if you are adventurous!

Go to the Theater. They had people set up on both levels so check the line on both to see which is shorter. You can book Puzzle Room, iFly, and North Star all at the same place. I think you can do the shows too, but we had those pre-booked so I'm not sure.

use the Royal iQ app to check your bookings after they put them in at the theater. Our person made a mistake and had some of our group scheduled for the same time but on a different day. Had to go back, which was a minor annoyance, but luckily not a long line and what we wanted was still open. Finding out later in the cruise would not have been a good time.

First time cruising here.

My wife is a big fan of indian and filipino food. Not fancy gourmet stuff, just regular homey ethnic food. I hear on some cruises if you ask the waiter nicely (maybe a day in advance too), they can bring you something from the crew menu which is usually prepared by Filipino and Indian cooks.

Has anyone done this on Anthem or any other RCCL cruise?

They had Indian Food at the Windjammer buffet that was quite tasty.

The Thai Fried Chicken was amazing.

OK, I'm a newbie to the Anthem. What is the puzzle room?