The truth about the STAIRS

antsp

We typically book a Caribe deck balcony on Grand class ships and that is about half way between the Promenade deck and the Lido deck. I used to use the stairs almost all of the time. After a four day cruise a couple of years ago I had issues with my knee for over a week and now I avoid the stairs as much as possible. I may look healthy but stairs are no longer the best for me and I use elevators most of the time.

IMHO, the elevator programming has a lot to do with the issues on the Royal and Regal. It is not the same as on the Grand class ships and made the elevator operation much less efficient. We sailed on the Grand and the Regal within a six month period and the difference was very noticeable. Neither ship has center stairs above the Promenade deck. On the Regal often times 1-2 elevators would pass by without stopping and on at least two occasions I was able to check out the elevator one floor down and they were empty. When we were going in one direction we often saw one elevator stop to pick up passengers going the other direction and then another stopped when there was no one left to pick up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

Of course, many ships (most, maybe?) have escalators for the crew bringing food up to dining rooms from galley, so I see no reason why they could not have them in passenger areas as well. I'm not saying they will have them, but they could.

I think they are unlikely because they could be a huge safety hazard for drunken pax, unsteady walkers, or for all pax in rough seas.

How could an escalator ever replace an elevator ? Is going up multiple escalators a major time saver over an elevator ? I know id get dizzy going up 12 or so after getting back onboard and trying to get to my cabin.

Now why dont we just simply use teletransporters ? Get on the ship and beam me to my cabin. Then beam me to a pool chair or dining table. Why oh why cant we just find more ways to do away with the need for legs. They are so overrated, arent they ?

I just said congratulations that you can climb the stairs & not have to depend on elevators. I just don't like tiring myself out 5 or 6 times a day going from deck 8 to 14.

I agree and would take the elevator for that.

But if my cabin was on deck 8 and I wanted to go to/from deck 7, I would use the stairs.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the addition of the passenger friendly stairs will be a help regardless of your condition. We use stairs as much as possible not just for exercise, but for the convenience.

They did a nice job on the Royal stairway and the same will be done on the Regal when she goes in for her scheduled drydock. Now everyone can concentrate on complaining about the location of the TP holder in the bathroom and the size of the balconies. We still love these ships and any other we are on at the time.

I agree that the addition of the passenger friendly stairs will be a help regardless of your condition. We use stairs as much as possible not just for exercise, but for the convenience.

They did a nice job on the Royal stairway and the same will be done on the Regal when she goes in for her scheduled drydock. Now everyone can concentrate on complaining about the location of the TP holder in the bathroom and the size of the balconies. We still love these ships and any other we are on at the time.

Lets not forget the deafening noise of the Piazza & Show lounge. :D

Lets not forget the deafening noise of the Piazza & Show lounge. :D
But the noise can be fixed while design defects can't be fixed. We stopped by Passenger a Services on the Regal and commented that DW and I could not have a conversation on the Piazza because the music was so loud. The response was that the music was so loud so people that could hear the music over people's conversations [emoji849][emoji849] We have never had that problem on other Princess ships.

But the noise can be fixed while design defects can't be fixed. We stopped by Passenger a Services on the Regal and commented that DW and I could not have a conversation on the Piazza because the music was so loud. The response was that the music was so loud so people that could hear the music over people's conversations [emoji849][emoji849] We have never had that problem on other Princess ships.

So that's the reason they gave for the extra LOUD music. LOL :D:D

Turn up the volume so loud that no one can hear a thing. :rolleyes:

Try talking to the Captain Circle host on deck 7 while the music is blaring & neither of us could understand each other while shouting. You would think they would at least partition off her section so people could actually have a conversation.

This next cruise I've got my sound level meter ... just for kicks to see what the levels are.

We would have just smiled and told that employee that we would forward their comment as part of our letter to Ms. Swartz :).

Hank