The truth about the STAIRS

antsp

I have a health condition that makes stairs particularly painful, having almost lost my leg at the knee in an auto accident decades ago I was left with a somewhat less than perfect right leg.

I appreciate the stairs because they make the elevators a little less busy for people like me.

That said, climbing down I'd more painful than going up and even I will go up a flight or two because I simply need to keep my backside from getting any larger...

Glad to see we're not the only stair people! I agree, it's faster and helps keep the effects of cruise eating in check. It can be a bit tough, but it's a necessary part of life, being able to climb stairs. ;)

It is amazing how many healthy passengers will wait 5 -10min for an elevator to go up or down one or two floors. And the classic are those that go to the gym to work out...using the elevator. Even DW, who has had a total knee replacement, prefers the steps for 5 or 6 decks. But we will admit that when it gets over 6 decks...we sometimes cheat and use the elevator.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You honestly don't use the elevators to go to the Horizon from say deck 8 or when arriving back from a tour?

I give you credit- wish I had that much ambition at my age each day. ;)

Why not. I do. I don't use elevators on ship at all.

I think it's kinda funny that lots of people complain about no center stairs because they want to get the exercise but they don't want to walk to any of the stairs further away! Too much exercise, I guess.

I think most people complain about no center stairs because they want other people to use them and not crowd their elevators.

On the Royal? Balcony size. ;)

This mid-ship stairs issue is important to us. We never take the elevators on our cruises *ever*, with the possible exception of embarkation/disembarkation if we have heavy pieces of luggage with us. We hate waiting for elevators, we hate the slow pace of the elevators, and we like the exercise that comes with taking the stairs.

So... want to get exercise, and complain about lack of middle stairs... when walking to forward or rear stairs would actually increase your exercise! Hmmm.... so want to use the stairs for exercise, but don't want them to be TOO far... :p (I'm just pulling your leg, not trolling) I get the concern about the middle stairs, now, but felt it was worth a tease!

This is from a current thread from someone on board Royal Princess now,

Today, 04:00 AM

Cool Cruiser

Good morning from the beautiful Royal Princess. Since everyone seems interested, the center stairs are supposedly in place but the word is they won't be open for 3 days. Will update later.

Congratulations. You're among the few that never do. I vacation not for exercise (we get enough at home all year long) but for relaxation.

Why the hostility? The stairs benefit everyone (which is why I never understood the people who kept posting: "Get over it. The missing stairs are not a big deal.") They benefit those who prefer to walk up or down a few flights to get where they are going, and they benefit those who prefer (or need) to use the elevators by lessening the crowding of same. Win-win, and Princess figured it out. Does it really matter which of the two groups a particular poster fall into?

It is fun to read the hypocrisy of those who want the center stairway but don't want to walk to either the forward or aft stairway. If the act of going up or down a deck or two is so important, then why don't they book a cabin near the existing stairs?

We have booked the same cabin 5 times on the Royal class ships right off the aft stairs and take the stairs almost all the time with the exceptions of embarkation, disembarkation and formal nights. (I have a hard time doing stairs in 4" heels - but my wife can handle it just fine). :D

Gussy the crew stairway up will be fine with me if they end up doing it. To me the ship has so many good things about it that the lack of midship stairs is a non-issue.

It is fun to read the hypocrisy of those who want the center stairway but don't want to walk to either the forward or aft stairway. If the act of going up or down a deck or two is so important, then why don't they book a cabin near the existing stairs?

So by that logic a ship should just have one set of stairs situated all the way at the bow and anyone who wants to use the stairs can simply walk forward to use them and everyone should simply book a cabin near that location. Except that this is impossible. It's not hypocrisy to think that it makes sense for a ship to have stairwells that are evenly spaced around the ship if cabins are also evenly spaced around the ship.

Why the hostility? The stairs benefit everyone (which is why I never understood the people who kept posting: "Get over it. The missing stairs are not a big deal.") They benefit those who prefer to walk up or down a few flights to get where they are going, and they benefit those who prefer (or need) to use the elevators by lessening the crowding of same. Win-win, and Princess figured it out. Does it really matter which of the two groups a particular poster fall into?

No hostility from me. I just said congratulations that you can climb the stairs & not have to depend on elevators. I just don't like tiring myself out 5 or 6 times a day going from deck 8 to 14.

We often book deck 8 midship, to use the elevator to go down 1 deck to the promenade makes no sense at all. Midship stairs to me are essential to choosing a cabin location

Same here. Just to get coffee in the morning I would have to travel the length of the ship twice not using a elevator when I could use the stairs for a quick trip down & up. In the evening not having stairs when going to dinner means a real long wait.

Congratulations. You're among the few that never do. I vacation not for exercise (we get enough at home all year long) but for relaxation.

I walk to relax. I walk 5 miles a day and when I get on the ship the word "elevator" is not in my vocabulary. If you did take the stairs you wouldn't be too tired to eat, you'd be chowing down to replace the carbs you burned up. Exercising is like putting your underwear on each day, I just do it - vacation or not.

Edited by elliair

I walk to relax. I walk 5 miles a day and when I get on the ship the word "elevator" is not in my vocabulary. If you did take the stairs you wouldn't be too tired to eat, you'd be chowing down to replace the carbs you burned up. Exercising is like putting your underwear on each day, I just do it - vacation or not.

Agreed. To me walking and exercise helps me keep weight gain to manageable level that I can get rid of in a few weeks after the cruise

Sounds good ! See you on the sixth. :D

Agreed. To me walking and exercise helps me keep weight gain to manageable level that I can get rid of in a few weeks after the cruise

I feel horrible after eating a lot of food then go lay around. I manage to keep the weight off by taking the stairs and walking around the Promenade deck. If it's cold and windy out I usually find an inside deck and walk that around a few times. I've noticed more and more people doing this. On sea days I do several laps in the morning and several in the afternoon. Then that Fettuccine Bowl in the MDR doesn't hurt me. :p

I feel horrible after eating a lot of food then go lay around. I manage to keep the weight off by taking the stairs and walking around the Promenade deck. If it's cold and windy out I usually find an inside deck and walk that around a few times. I've noticed more and more people doing this. On sea days I do several laps in the morning and several in the afternoon. Then that Fettuccine Bowl in the MDR doesn't hurt me. :p

I will walk the promenade and walk thru horizon when not crowded. When ship is moving walking track usually too windy.

Wish they had a deck that went all the way around the ship like the Carnival Dream class does.

My goal on a ship is 15000 steps a day and usually make it.

For those with dodgy knees or a medical condition that precludes the use of stairs, the fact that there isn't currently a set of central stairs on Regal or Royal (...wait..) is a big deal, but for the rest of us I think this is a topic that can be filed under first world problems...

Good on Princess for making these conversions.

We have sailed about two months total on both the Regal and Royal. I run about 2.5 miles every morning, almost, and since the ship is 1000 feet long get plenty of extra in the corridors. But I walk with my wife a lot too and she has arthritis, so I keep in mind what is best for her as well.

We prefer mini-suites slightly forward of midship anyway, so it works out pretty good for us, on a normal sea day, since we are not at midship where those who only have to go up or down a deck or so have to contend with overcrowded elevators.

But trying to use any of the elevators, with some luggage, during disembarkation can be pretty stressful as they are not adequate. Being closer to the forward elevator tower where they do have a public staircase works out okay, if you don't mind walking down many deck levels that is packing large hand carries. Midship elevators are a nightmare during disembarkation.

There was a day, not long ago, where I could make three or four decks of stairs without breathing hard, and the next couple of flights, still not an issue. Now, I can make maybe one flight, and that takes a while. I don't mind taking the staircases in the atrium, but I wish they would make them out of another material instead of marble. I would be more comfortable of they would carpet them, make them less slippery.