Vaccinations for Southern Caribbean?

Ineke

Just got our cruide docs -yay! - and I'm actually reading the fine print! That's the sort of thing you do when you've actually retired, I guess.

In any case, there's an item there to go visit your doctor or travel health clinic about any vaccinations needed at least 6 weeks before cruising. I've never seen this before, have I just missed it? We've done this cruise in various forms at least 8 times, haven't heard of it before. Can someone enlighten me, please, I'm sure one of the experts will have the answer. If we do need something, we'd better get on it because we sail in 6 weeks. Oh, and we have had the recommended Twinrix vaccinations. Thanks for your help!

Just got our cruide docs -yay! - and I'm actually reading the fine print! That's the sort of thing you do when you've actually retired, I guess.

In any case, there's an item there to go visit your doctor or travel health clinic about any vaccinations needed at least 6 weeks before cruising. I've never seen this before, have I just missed it? We've done this cruise in various forms at least 8 times, haven't heard of it before. Can someone enlighten me, please, I'm sure one of the experts will have the answer. If we do need something, we'd better get on it because we sail in 6 weeks. Oh, and we have had the recommended Twinrix vaccinations. Thanks for your help!

I think that's always been there in some form. That said we've cruised extensively in the Caribbean and never had to take any vaccinations just for cruise purposes. I don't consider flu, pneumonia, or shingles vaccinations cruise specific.

The CDC recommends vaccinations for Typhoid and Hepatitis A for Caribbean stops as you get these from contaminated food or water.

Talk to your family medical care provider. When we did the Canal cruise several years ago I talked to my doctor and he said we didn't need any shots, just be careful of eating and drinking while onshore.

I would be a lot more worried about parasitic infestation and there are no vaccines for those (yet). Prevention centered around assuring safe water source (bottled), avoiding raw food and not swimming in fresh untreated water that might get ingested are the best way to avoid. Cruise doc language may just be boiler plate protection for the cruise line. I would ask my primary care provider.

I would be a lot more worried about parasitic infestation and there are no vaccines for those (yet). Prevention centered around assuring safe water source (bottled), avoiding raw food and not swimming in fresh untreated water that might get ingested are the best way to avoid. Cruise doc language may just be boiler plate protection for the cruise line. I would ask my primary care provider.

I would check with the CDC, which is the authoritative source. I don't think that our primary care providers are necessarily up to date on what countries require what shots. They have too many other areas of concern.