Last minute passport renewal at regional agency questions?

Jesyth

So, My passport expires in 10 days and my cruise is in 12. Oops. As it's the Panama Canal, NCL insists on a passport not just a birth certificate (and I don't like to travel with one anyway). Here's my question:

I have made an appointment at the Philadelphia office for this Thursday. There are appointments closer to my travel date available, but it freaks me out to wait until the VERY last minute. My two concerns are this: since they probably won't do same day that far out, will they mail it instead/in time? I'm not going to drive 7 hours back to pick it up - do they take into account if you're out of the area? If not, I should probably just wait until closer to my travel date and get an early morning appointment right before my departure.

More importantly: they maintain you MUST have proof of travel in the form of an airline ticket ONLY on the hotline number, for any passport agency. Surely that isn't true? I have proof of travel, and I need a passport. I am just not FLYING out of the country.

Has anyone dealt with either of these issues? Did it work out?

We have a passport agency 18 miles from us and it's our understanding that you either walk out with a passport or they express ship it to you. My son did that (no immediate travel plans)- he applied on Monday and had his passport on Friday. If you have an appointment I am sure the person processing your paperwork will take your mode of travel into account.

More importantly: they maintain you MUST have proof of travel in the form of an airline ticket ONLY on the hotline number, for any passport agency. Surely that isn't true? I have proof of travel, and I need a passport. I am just not FLYING out of the country.

Bring your cruise summary and/or boarding pass showing both embarkation and disembarkation ports as proof.

At the Miami office if you are not travelling later that day or the next they will usually not print your Passport on the spot, they will set a time for you to come back and pick it up in the interim. Perhaps they will be more compassionate in the City of Brotherly Love. Or more responsive to begging and pleading (you may want to bring an onion in your purse ;))

Thanks all. the Philadelphia agency seems actually very nice compared to others, based on what people have to say. It's about the same distance from me to that one or DC, and the consensus was DEFINITELY go with them over DC lol. And in no circumstances go to Miami's, ever, unless it's life or death ;)

Still deciding if I'll go this Thursday and let them mail it, or next Thursday, in which case they should do it same day since I need it on Saturday when they're closed. Will probably just depend when I can get out of town lol. I'm in part of NC that is coping with the aftermath of the hurricane, and with all the flooding, today I can't even get up I-95.

I also finally held long enough to get the option to speak with an operator at the main regional agency appointment hotline number, who said that any travel docs did count, he "didn't really know why the recording says it has to be an airline ticket". I assume to cut down on confusion with people trying to bring not quite legit documents. I figured that was just a formality and any proof of travel somewhere that would require a passport was okay, as long as it was an actual paid itinerary/ticket, but you never know with government agencies anymore lol.

I'll update the post regardless so in case anyone thread searches one day they'll know how it goes.

Bring your cruise summary and/or boarding pass showing both embarkation and disembarkation ports as proof.

Both in Miami, so that isn't the part they'd need to look at lol. But because it is not a Mexican only, Canadian, or Caribbean itinerary, a passport is required. We have stops in Panama, Columbia, etc.

Both in Miami, so that isn't the part they'd need to look at lol. But because it is not a Mexican only, Canadian, or Caribbean itinerary, a passport is required. We have stops in Panama, Columbia, etc.

Bring a copy of your itinerary since those foreign ports are why you need a passport.

As long as your trip is less than 2 weeks you can make an appt at the regional office. My daughter went to Philly office when her employer decided to send her to Canada in 2 days. She got a next day appt. went in am and picked up passport that afternoon. You pay dearly for this service but sometimes it is necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your cruise summary (at least the ones for Princess cruises do) might contain the itinerary. It will also say that a passport is required.