Television on Epic

jems76

Depends if you are taling about the med or Carib.

In general you'll get three news channels, a couple of sports channels , a favorites movie channel with random movies, a favorites tv show channel. Not much more. Pay per view movies is available. No free on demand.

Pay per view is free if you are in the Havens.

I don't think the TVs take USB sticks? I could be wrong but they tend to be small and quite old. I usually take an iPad to watch things on. :)

I agree the TVs are very small and you are probably right about the USB. The idea isn't to encourage people to stay in their cabins. But I wouldn't call the TVs really old. The ship isn't even all that old

I agree the TVs are very small and you are probably right about the USB. The idea isn't to encourage people to stay in their cabins. But I wouldn't call the TVs really old. The ship isn't even all that old

Agreed! Sorry when I said old I didn't really mean old, I just meant not new as in not a super dooper ultra 3d curved whatever kinda TVs you can buy now :)

I travel and stay at a good # of hotels to know many hospitality TV system, in addition to the ones on cruise ships ... some USB ports are accessible while others are not, it is often firmware locked. If the Epic used a HDMI connection and you can safely reach it, disconnect & plug in your own HDMI cable (like we did ... with a 10' one & cast from the laptop - it will work) to play whatever.

Typically, it will play MP3 audio only but you cannot edit/configure your "playlist" but MP4 (video) being pretty much out of the questions due to different codec or hardware/software recorded standards from different media sources.

We are leaving tomorrow for a 7 nights trip and advantage of my Nexus tablet vs. DW's iPad, I am downloading about 5 movies for offline playback, easy & not having to worry to about not having WiFi access. Optionally, with a nano travel router, setup my own hotspot to Chromecast it on bigger HDTV screen (providing that I can access & tweak the input source & settings, etc.) On NCL ships, pretty much NOT to be expected, however.

I travel and stay at a good # of hotels to know many hospitality TV system, in addition to the ones on cruise ships ... some USB ports are accessible while others are not, it is often firmware locked. If the Epic used a HDMI connection and you can safely reach it, disconnect & plug in your own HDMI cable (like we did ... with a 10' one & cast from the laptop - it will work) to play whatever.

Typically, it will play MP3 audio only but you cannot edit/configure your "playlist" but MP4 (video) being pretty much out of the questions due to different codec or hardware/software recorded standards from different media sources.

We are leaving tomorrow for a 7 nights trip and advantage of my Nexus tablet vs. DW's iPad, I am downloading about 5 movies for offline playback, easy & not having to worry to about not having WiFi access. Optionally, with a nano travel router, setup my own hotspot to Chromecast it on bigger HDTV screen (providing that I can access & tweak the input source & settings, etc.) On NCL ships, pretty much NOT to be expected, however.

I can confirm that there's an empty hdmi port on the Epic TVs, and the remote has the switch button. All types of files played without problem. The port was easily accessible from the right of the screen, and in our balcony the telly was mounted above a counter directly above the power point. I just moved the coffee tray and put my laptop right beneath the tv and it was very convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Do the tv's tilt towards the couch?

Thank you.:)

Only slightly - not the kind of tilting one's accustomed to at home.

Comment about Epic's HDMI being easily switched is noted - that's apparently an exception, rest of the ships in the NCL fleet - I've yet to read/heard of being allowed to change the input source via the remote.

Typically travel with my Nexus tablet as it's easy to download movies, shows & MP4's ahead of time for easy playback; and, not to worry about WiFi or broadband access on a cruise or in hotels with slow 1Mbps speed ... surely, many travelers been experiencing those "free" WiFi at domestic hotel chains; and, get the upsell offer to upgrade to a faster speed package, LOL.

Edited by mking8288

One suggestion was to pick up a cheap universal remote and bring along the code list for all the tvs, that way you get the full features of the tv. I usually just unplug the current HDMI and use mine I have cables for my ipad and Android tablet and phone to hdmi. My wife works 60 hr weeks with 1 day off every two weeks so she likes to watch TV on the cruise and my job is to make it happen.

One suggestion was to pick up a cheap universal remote and bring along the code list for all the tv ... I usually just unplug the current HDMI and use mine I have cables for my ipad and Android tablet and phone to hdmi ...

HDTV's across the fleet had pretty much been upgraded with newer sets and these are hospitality sets and even high end Logitech Harmony universal learning remote are useless in overriding features, as my understanding was that they're firmware locked against being tampered with by the guests. Forget about bringing an universal one & save that money, use it for a few downloads instead.

Hotels & lodgings abroad are far more user-friendly as some of them provide easy access via HDMI, component & composite inputs, etc. - unlike cruising and one don't even need "club" level membership.

On the *Away class ships, the wall/panel mounted HDTV in the balcony staterooms are easiest in terms of plugging in one's own HDMI input source (6' as a minimum, 10' is better) but oceanviews & insides are a pain, they are nearly impossible to disconnect due to their location/mounting - in disconnecting & reconnecting the HDMI cables. It was reported on one of the newest ship coming out of a recent dry dock this year, that it has a locking ring or RG-59 type (cable style connection) & making it impossible to enable HDMI (can't remember which ship it was, sorry)

Gotta :D love that Sony Viao laptop of mine with HDMI output & "Big Blue" wireless bluetooth speaker - in addition to the tablet/iPad w. a decent headset (without disturbing the better half and others) ... on my radar - Pixel phone & VR, soon.

Might just wind up buying something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JVRCQ1I/ref=psdc_525464_t2_B01LZRUY6Q

then I can take my tv with me

But,,,, there are no flat walls on the Epic. They are wavy.

And,,,, there is only one electrical outlet located inside the cabinet.

Edited by BirdTravels

• 1 month later...
One suggestion was to pick up a cheap universal remote and bring along the code list for all the tvs, that way you get the full features of the tv. I usually just unplug the current HDMI and use mine I have cables for my ipad and Android tablet and phone to hdmi. My wife works 60 hr weeks with 1 day off every two weeks so she likes to watch TV on the cruise and my job is to make it happen.

fredflint, I want to make sure you found the correct roll call for the transatlantic in Nov. It says Nov. 4 although I thought CC had corrected that. Several had signed up on that one so I reposted the correct url.

As far as running videos go, yes, the walls are wavy, but as another poster commented, anything with an hdmi out will easily connect to the tv. You don't have to undo any cables. The provided remote will allow you to choose tv input. We use a mini ipad with adapter although I do have an adapter for an old Galaxy Nexus. Another shot. Many laptops have hdmi out built in (some do not). I can't say about the usb, though. I have this device which uses wifi direct (no internet required) to connect to a device and does accept usb drives; however, you still would need a means to to connect to the tv. Yes, only one outlet by that desk (one 110; one 220.) Another outlet is by the bed behind the sofa back. Bring a bar to create additional plugs.

Edited by Rhea98