Noumea - Walking to Lemon Beach

Hi Everyone,

We are going on a cruise to Noumea and am wondering if anyone has walked to Lemon Beach.

I know there is a Bus and HOHO Bus to get to Lemon Beach but we would prefer to walk.

I realise it will be hot. I have Google mapped the walk and it's about 4 KM. We walk about 6 - 8 KM every day so the distance is not a problem.

I have searched these boards but can find no reviews or post about people walking to Lemon Beach.

Just wondering if anyone has done it and how it was or is there some reason it is not doable.

Thank you to all you posters out there. This is a great site for information. I love getting my daily Cruise Critic Fix :-)

Haven't walked that route, but having walked other parts of Noumea and as I recall the roads in that area, it should be doable. Main reservations would be distance and heat, but if you're comfortable with that, I can't think of any other major concerns.

Depending on what ship if it is at the terminal in town.

Just follow the water past the markets and where the yachts moor, halfway through the Campari head up to the road there is a driveway, on the way back stop at Le Bout de Mode for a beer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And stop at La Barca for the sea food platter and an Ale.:D

...... on the way back stop at Le Bout de Mode for a beer.

And stop at La Barca for the sea food platter and an Ale.:D

Methinks the walk is getting longer all the time, but more and more enjoyable :) Maybe we'll stop for a drink on the way to the beach as well, and then catch a bus back :)

Methinks the walk is getting longer all the time, but more and more enjoyable :) Maybe we'll stop for a drink on the way to the beach as well, and then catch a bus back :)

La Barca is at Lemon Beach, so a nice lunch stop, but a bus back may be advisable.:D

welcome sally , We walk all the time there is one hill rest is flat , use traffic lights to cross roads as they drive on the wrong side of the road . look both ways before stepping of sidewalk also there is one way streets :eek: if you have maped it already you can see the street that[ Route De L'Aquarium] take's you to Anse vata beach https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Lemon+Bay/@-22.3021387,166.4401587,18.1z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x6c27e2689fcd1ddd:0x92ad423d0e9519b9!8m2!3d-22.295642!4d166.437335

been there many times since Fairstar {long long time ago}:)

Trouble

Forgive me for asking but are there any safety concerns walking there?

Should any areas be avoided?

I wouldn't think so but you should always be aware of your surroundings and if something looks a bit dodgy, avoid it.

I'm considering this too, so apologies for hijacking the thread with my own questions:

Is it a pleasant walk, worthwhile doing? Anything interesting to see along the way? (other than the bars mentioned above :))

Again, I wouldn't think it is a nice scenic walk but then I suppose it depends on how much you like walking.

We've walked it many times. It's an easy walk if you regular walkers. I think the aquarium is not far off the route too. The walk can take you up to where Club Med used to be and, if you are feeling energetic, you can take a walk up to the hill for some great scenic views. There's a big gun up there that's interesting. I made thevwalk up the hill last time there and I'm in my mid 60s. As others have mentioned there are some great cafes and restaurants along the way that could slow your progress. We never had any concerns about it safetywise.

welcome sally , We walk all the time there is one hill rest is flat , use traffic lights to cross roads as they drive on the wrong side of the road . look both ways before stepping of sidewalk also there is one way streets :eek: if you have maped it already you can see the street that[ Route De L'Aquarium] take's you to Anse vata beach https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Lemon+Bay/@-22.3021387,166.4401587,18.1z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x6c27e2689fcd1ddd:0x92ad423d0e9519b9!8m2!3d-22.295642!4d166.437335

been there many times since Fairstar {long long time ago}:)

Trouble

We've walked it many times. It's an easy walk if you regular walkers. I think the aquarium is not far off the route too. The walk can take you up to where Club Med used to be and, if you are feeling energetic, you can take a walk up to the hill for some great scenic views. There's a big gun up there that's interesting. I made thevwalk up the hill last time there and I'm in my mid 60s. As others have mentioned there are some great cafes and restaurants along the way that could slow your progress. We never had any concerns about it safetywise.

Thanks Hogbay & Lyndarra,

Great to hear from people who have walked it :-)

We walked to Anse Vata beach (via Lemon Bay) and return on a previous vist. A pleasant enough 12 klms all up but nothing very exciting" - but it was a Sunday morning so nothing much was open. Couldn't have bought a beer even if I had wanted to.