Chasing Constellation from Rome to Arabian Nights November 2016

need2bespoiled

Jenna, glad to hear that Tuscan redeemed themselves, it's a great restaurant that has gotten some bad reviews on CC. We've decided to give it a try on Silhouette based on reviews on the TA thread.

Can't wait to hear what Celebrity did for you on change over day. Enjoy this next segment.

Jenna, glad to hear that Tuscan redeemed themselves, it's a great restaurant that has gotten some bad reviews on CC. We've decided to give it a try on Silhouette based on reviews on the TA thread.

Can't wait to hear what Celebrity did for you on change over day. Enjoy this next segment.

I think the best thing we get at Tuscan is the filet and it seems to be the best cut for our liking on the ship. The main courses are plated with no sides or garnish, which isn't our preference but you can order sides, and have them changed like having spinach steamed or a baked potato (not on the menu).

I doubt I will share how change over day was handled, or some of the other, unique special touches we have received. What makes them special to us is their uniqueness to what we enjoy. It’s not that I don’t think others wouldn’t enjoy them, but that I don’t think I should set the expectation that special touches Celebrity provided us on this cruise should be provided to everyone in a similar situation. Kind of like a Captain’s Table. We have not been invited to dine with the Captain or at one of the new officer’s tables being hosted in a specialty restaurant on this cruise as we have on our previous sailings in the Penthouse or when we were in upper level suites and/or top cruisers and that is OK. I only bring this example up as I know there have been many discussions of this here on the forum.

Jenna, if you happen to notice any, can you post about any drink package specials? We're doing this one next year

Thanks

I have not looked or noticed but I will ask around.

I am going to work on a Suez canal post in a bit, but it was amazing for a number of reasons, but very different than Panama last year.

This was near the end of the crossing; how can this be topped? It's a bit longer than I normally would post and I had to add music to get rid of audio that included a background conversation that I didn't want to post, so not sure it is great music so mute if needed.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

I doubt I will share how change over day was handled, or some of the other, unique special touches we have received. What makes them special to us is their uniqueness to what we enjoy. It’s not that I don’t think others wouldn’t enjoy them, but that I don’t think I should set the expectation that special touches Celebrity provided us on this cruise should be provided to everyone in a similar situation.

For those who do not get special touches, how was change over day handled in Piraeus?

I am loving sailing along with you on this trip. Thank you so much for posting. We are in a suite in January on the Constellation. Will the current Michaels club concierge still be there at the beginning of January or will they be going on vacation?

Is the afternoon tea service to suites still happening on Constellation?

I'd be interested to know any excursions planned in Muscat and Abu Dhabi.

Enjoy your trip!

OMG. I am so loving this.

We are on our third Connie cruise but on in a Concierge cabin, in September

A couple questions for you: obviously you are a foodie but not a shopper? So far I've only heard about sandals on Amalfi Coast and some other little thing. Come on, we shoppers need to know!

Your tours sound amazing. When you are back home would you be able to make a list of the tour companies? That would be so helpfu.

Continue enjoying the Connie.

Jenna, I have just read the first 9 pages in one page-turner sitting. Great review!

Thanks for taking so many excellent photos to share. Which camera were you using?

The kayaking in Venice looked like an amazing way to see the city.

Much appreciated!

Norris

For those who do not get special touches, how was change over day handled in Piraeus?

I am not sure. There were transit passes provided, but we stayed onboard util later in the morning and were provided our new key cards so we didn't have to use them. There was a meaning to explain it, and from what I can gather it wasn't bad.

I am loving sailing along with you on this trip. Thank you so much for posting. We are in a suite in January on the Constellation. Will the current Michaels club concierge still be there at the beginning of January or will they be going on vacation?

Is the afternoon tea service to suites still happening on Constellation?

I'd be interested to know any excursions planned in Muscat and Abu Dhabi.

Enjoy your trip!

Ilde, the current Micheal's Club Concierge is going on vacation at the end of the month. I doubt she will be back in January. I believe she is covering a vacation for someone else, but I am not sure. Check the Who's Onboard thread for more information on who it was / will be.

Daily tea servie is still happening.

In Muscat, we are simply planning on spending the day at Al Bustan Palace which is a Ritz Carleton now. Many in our roll call have excursions planned but I am all toured out I think. We do have a 1/2 day tour planned in Abu Dhabi, but much of our time will be spent at the F1 Grand Prix finals and the surrounding concerts and events.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Another question.

How full is the ship on this re-positioning voyage?

There are no empty cabins. There were a few last minute cancellation, but I know for a fact those have been filled. There are very few kids and or "upper" bunks used. The ship does not seem crowded to me, but I don't spend much time in crowded spaces like the pool (been in once, through 2 or 3 times), Ocean View Cafe (never been in), or Main Dining Room. Shows are well attended but if you come 5-10 min early seats are always available.

OMG. I am so loving this.

We are on our third Connie cruise but on in a Concierge cabin, in September

A couple questions for you: obviously you are a foodie but not a shopper? So far I've only heard about sandals on Amalfi Coast and some other little thing. Come on, we shoppers need to know!

Your tours sound amazing. When you are back home would you be able to make a list of the tour companies? That would be so helpfu.

Continue enjoying the Connie.

I am a foodie and a shopper. Dee has done a bit of shopping and I have done some, but less. I need to be "moved" by what we buy. Souvenirs made in another country don’t do much for us. I tried and REALLY wanted to bring something (jewelry in particular but also Judaica) home from Israel, but didn’t find something. Chania had some great shopping but we toured there the first time, and the second time MUCH more was closed. I still have Abu Dhabi and Dubai so all hoe is not lost!

We can share our guides, I've done this at the end previously. I will be sharing our guide in Petra and Wadi Rum when I post on Petra as he will get special credit. Incidentally he also does tours in Dubai. Best guides we've had on any trip. All of them are amaizng with one exception but her flaw was TOO much information and the mis-coordination/communciation described above.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna, I have just read the first 9 pages in one page-turner sitting. Great review!

Thanks for taking so many excellent photos to share. Which camera were you using?

The kayaking in Venice looked like an amazing way to see the city.

Much appreciated!

Norris

Thank you!!

The pictures in Venice were almost exclusively taken by the guide using a small point and shot.

ALL other pictures posted so far were taken by an iPhone 6 with a Waterproof LifeProof Case. Since this case covers the entire phone including both camera lenses I try and keep it clean. Some of the pictures during the Suez Canal were taken using a Nikon D5100 with a 200mm lens but I won't be able to identify which ones at this point (This post will be going up shortly in many sections). Nothing really special but some of the things were further away so I wanted a nicer lense.. I used to take many more with the Nikon but it is even more of a pain to pull the memory card, go through the super larger pictures and post. My iPhone makes it so easy to share and post. Truth: CruiseCritic is last in linle for posting. Facebook friends and family get more pics and faster as the 6 pics per post limit here drives me nuts.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I’m a few days behind, having way too much fun onboard, so please forgive me. I’m working on catching up but there is a lot to over between the Suez Canal, Petra and Wadi Rum which made for an epic, but also epically long day in port. This post is also extremely long. While the Panama Canal fascinated me to know end, prompted by the book Path Between the Seas which I highly recommend, I was less prepared for what to expect. While you don’t have the engineering marvel the locks provide, and the remaining natural beauty of Panama, there is quite a bit to see. The crossing was narrated but for some reason it was not available on the TV Bow Cam channel so we couldn’t hear any of it. I’m not sure why but I was told the captain chose to do this. Since the crossing, I was invited to dine with him (last night in Tuscan Grill), but I didn’t remember to ask or bother him with this question (though I am sure I asked my fair share).

We’ve had been spending quite a bit of time on the aft deck, how could you not? As we watched the sun set on the day before we would arrive at the start of the Suez Canal, we noticed this ship patrolling off in the distance. We also noticed a US Navy ship USS DDG=64 Carney in Athens. This looked like the same ship, but hard to tell from so far away. Even as it got dark, there were NO lights on and of course, no AIS information.

30290268084_7b5fef97bd_c.jpg

Last night six of us enjoyed a really nice meal in Sushi on 5, complete with Saki tasting, lots of sharing and great company. We MUCH prefer it to Bistro on 5 where I doubt we would have as nice a dinner.

30781791620_c90937b34e_c.jpg

I stayed up a bit late last night, enjoying some time as we floated (anchored for about 4 hours according to the captain) waiting for our convoy to head into the canal in the hours of the morning (3am) or so. At about 6:30a I was woken by a train as we had started our transit. This allowed me to get a few great shots of the sunrise.

30985741081_08a20137e5_c.jpg

30957195212_02c72fba18_c.jpg

It was an amazing day, mostly spent on our balcony, except for a brief trip to progressive trivia and a quick stop at the end of the F1 Talk.

We were followed by a huge container carrier (with a few of our own tugboats that most ships didn’t have.

30985041911_86b014b7f9_c.jpg

Later I found out this was “one of the largest container ships in the world”. I haven’t confirmed this, but I know it was 400m long or about 1300ft as per MarineFinder.

30984961901_5f1fe52c4d_c.jpg

To be continued . . .

As the haze lifted we could see some small towns and larger cities along the way. Most of these were on the west side of the bank.

30957197632_9fc8de1c88_c.jpg

Lots of sand on the east side

31099638815_476cceb56d_c.jpg

And passed under “the Mubarak Peace Bridge, also known as the Egyptian-Japanese Friendship Bridge, Al Salam Bridge, or Al Salam Peace Bridge, is a road bridge crossing the Suez Canal at El Qantara. The bridge links the continents of Africa and Eurasia” My unique location and access to both sides, and looking forward down the side, and aft allowed me to get a number of angles. I am not sure why this is so interesting to me, but it fascinates me.

30985751011_57687eaf56_c.jpg

31099372525_ab9592d76d_c.jpg

30732541960_9082e27e4e_c.jpg

30957211292_ec242e654d_c.jpg

To be continued . . .

This may be my favorite

30985789351_335a1ba684_c.jpg

But this one isn’t bad

30985794761_a6036115b4_c.jpg

And this one shows it going into the distance for a long way

31063757246_08a03395bc_b.jpg

Further down the canal we passed by a new, double swing bridge which looks like it is nearing completion.

30732270810_a92915742a_c.jpg

The weather steadily improved all day and is now WARM. There are many little fishing boats and ferries which connect the sides of the canal

30956505272_a8fa4a8c4c_c.jpg

30292623393_e74a53b0db_c.jpg

To be continued . . .

There are lots of “signs” along the way, some we could read

30291173134_e95e55258e_c.jpg

30732237070_f1e24f801f_c.jpg

And some we couldn’t

30985244671_8518f39b98_c.jpg

30732209440_c2a3dfb555_c.jpg

This one was near the end, between the old canal and new channel allowing two-way traffic, which would hopefully allow an earlier arrival and start for cruise ships.

31098765665_ef3f9b3732_c.jpg

There were construction projects on shore and along the canal, including what looks like an outdoor theater or mosque

30290393694_3888344a13_c.jpg

To be continued . . .

Finally, the dolphins (same as link I posted above

). I think due to our location, being the lowest aft deck and the fact they were surfing our aft wake, we had the best view

30293047323_6d29aa047b_c.jpg

30292860963_574792c327_c.jpg

Celebrity went all out for us in providing special touches during this transit, really nice! No pics or further descriptions as stated above, I don’t think it is my place to share this publicly and have other except the same things. Celebrity does a great job to individualize experienes in our opinoin.

As I started this post, we were at sea, due in Aqaba where we were heading to Petra, but this is finished as we cruise at the fast speeds of the entire ship to make the 2500 mile journey to Oman. It is being posted from somewhere in the Red Sea. We have been to so many amazing places since the start of this journey, and while I am sure it is different for everyone, for me, Petra and Wadi Rum may be the absolutely highlight. It may take a day or two to do the post as there is much to share, almost two tours in one day. Finally, I will do a post on our “Save Haven” drill, what that entailed and what has been shared with passengers in terms of additional security precautions that start at sundown tonight as we pass the Bal al-Mandab straights Djibouti, Yemen, and enter the Gulf of Aden and pass by Somalia and head up to Oman.

Happy sailing,

Jenna