Mobility Scooter

Londongirl8

We are sailing on the Celebrity Eclipse to Baltics next year. This is only our second cruise ever and our first with a Mobility Scooter. How have people found a standard balcony cabin is with a mobility scooter. Mine is a Pride Go Go Traveller Plus. Is there somewhere it can be put in the cabin in a corner it can be left in so you are not tripping over it all the time. I don't need to use it in the cabin I just need it if walking any distances. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There really isn't enough room to comfortably put a scooter in a balcony room (or fit many through the cabin door) & you can't leave it in the hallway or balcony. Have you looked into an accessible cabin? They're set up for scooters/wheelchairs

Definitely try to get an accessible cabin. When I broke my foot with a Disney cruise only three weeks away, I called and inquired whether I could transfer to an accessible cabin and I was. It was wonderful. Plenty of room to move about and the shower was outfitted for a handicapped person, also. I don't know how I would have managed in a regular cabin.

Edited by Kmangel

We've done it before but it is very cramped. My DH also has a Pride Go Go elite traveler plus - three wheel configuration. It fit in the door but not by much.

The problem is the room configuration. The scooter cannot get past the bed when the bed is near the door. You have to have a room where the couch is near the door. That way you can leave the scooter in front of the couch.

I strongly recommend you call and see if there are any mobility rooms left. They are so much better. My DH loves the fact that there is an automatic door opener so that he can get in and out by himself.

We are going on Celebrity again in two weeks and had to settle for an inside cabin because there weren't any mobility balconies left. My DH would rather have the inside cabin than a non-mobility room. The rooms are quite a bit wider and you have plenty of room to drive right in - plus a place to plug in the scooter without having the scooter in the path of traffic.

Don't forget that you might need an extension cord to make plugging in the scooter easier.

Thanks for the replies. We have booked a cabin with the couch nearest the door in the hope this will make it a little easier.

TSC That's amazing the inside cabins are larger that's a really good tip to know and an extension cable good idea.

Adammara. Can't get that link to work

Awhfy & kmangel thanks for the information I should really have booked a disabled cabin but I felt I should leave it for somebody else who could not manage without it as there are so few of them but I am thinking now that is a mistake.

This is only my opinion but just because someone like my mom who only needs a mobility scooter due to the inability to walk long distances secondary to severe arthritis does not make her technically disabled and require an accessible cabin. I always feel that these cabins are for people who are wheelchair dependent and require extra room for transfer equipment and the like. We have always been able to find a corner in a regular balcony cabin for "Rosie," her GoGo Elite Traveller scooter.

Wendychloecruiser.That's exactly why I felt bad about booking an accessible cabin because some people cannot travel if they don't have an accessible cabin. I only need my scooter for long distances. But I got very concerned looking on You Tube at the cabins there would not be room but it sounds like you have found it fine. What a lovely name for her scooter I must name mine.

Definitely try to get an accessible cabin. When I broke my foot with a Disney cruise only three weeks away, I called and inquired whether I could transfer to an accessible cabin and I was. It was wonderful. Plenty of room to move about and the shower was outfitted for a handicapped person, also. I don't know how I would have managed in a regular cabin.

You would have been fine in a regular cabin. I broke my foot this past February in the first port on a 21 day cruise on the Equinox. Definitely not fun but survived in balcony cabin. The wheelchair folds up and the crutches get thrown in frustration in a corner.

The accessible cabins are for people who need the extra room to maneuver. Not being able to walk long distances certainly is a disability that you have to contend with and you need an aid to go on the trip. Not sure why you want to cram your scooter in a smaller room when there are accommodations built specifically for mobility-challenged customers. And any other passenger who needs an accessible cabin has the opportunity to book a room before you do; they don't hold them until sailing just in case someone with a hard luck story pops up wanting to board. It is perfectly acceptable for you to have an accessible room.

You would have been fine in a regular cabin. I broke my foot this past February in the first port on a 21 day cruise on the Equinox. Definitely not fun but survived in balcony cabin. The wheelchair folds up and the crutches get thrown in frustration in a corner.

I had a scooter. Not a wheel chair. No folding up a scooter and sticking it in a corner! It made my being able to keep the scooter near me much easier on other family members having to relocate it in order to plug it in.

Plus, the accessible cabins are for persons such as I was at the time! It was available and I took it. Otherwise I would have managed, but not quite as comfortably. Just taking a shower would have been very difficult. The accessible cabins have seats in the shower. A much safer way to shower IMO than balancing on one foot!

Edited by Kmangel

I had a scooter. Not a wheel chair. No folding up a scooter and sticking it in a corner! It made my being able to keep the scooter near me much easier on other family members having to relocate it in order to plug it in.

Plus, the accessible cabins are for persons such as I was at the time! It was available and I took it. Otherwise I would have managed, but not quite as comfortably. Just taking a shower would have been very difficult. The accessible cabins have seats in the shower. A much safer way to shower IMO than balancing on one foot!

Believe me...I sooo agree and understand.