Singapore to Hong Kong ... Advice please

welshfamily

Just starting planning for our November the 30th cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong.

Ko Samui, Bangkok, Ho chi Minh city are our ports of call.

Firstly could anyone advice me on Dress code particularly for religious sites and temples for both women and men.

I have read that feet should be covered. Does this mean closed shoes with socks as opposed to stockings. I am assuming shoulders should be covered but what about arms and legs?

Would anybody like recommend their " must see " sites in any of our ports of call including Singapore.

Thank you.

Just starting planning for our November the 30th cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong.

Ko Samui, Bangkok, Ho chi Minh city are our ports of call.

Firstly could anyone advice me on Dress code particularly for religious sites and temples for both women and men.

I have read that feet should be covered. Does this mean closed shoes with socks as opposed to stockings. I am assuming shoulders should be covered but what about arms and legs?

Would anybody like recommend their " must see " sites in any of our ports of call including Singapore.

Thank you.

E your shoulders must be covered, the shawl works . Some places hair and showered, no you do not cover feet. It is rude to cover feet. I walk no socks. Some people do. But I think it is rudel just where or carry loose blouse Ronald or use shawl.. my way. Many tamples give shawls

Sandals are ubiquitous as I remember--shoes come off in all the temples in Thailand I know, so the closed shoes don't make sense to me.

Women can't wear shorts or even capris. I took a sarong-style wrap skirt that worked well. But I wore sandals everywhere. No problem with a top with short-sleeves.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

On entering the Grand Palace in Bangkok I had to remove the large scarf that I was draping around by upper body (to protect me from the sun) to demonstrate that I was wearing a short sleeved top - it seemed that a sleeveless top, even covered by my scarf, was not acceptable.

We enjoyed the Reunification Palace in HCM and the War Remnants Museum made a big impact on us. We explored both of these on our own, rather than as part of a tour. It was easy to do - once we mastered the art of crossing the roads....!

Singapore is also easy to negotiate on your own and we found the locals very friendly and helpful when we appeared lost. We took a bum boat tour from Clarkes Quay, visited Raffles, wandered through Little India (fascinating market stalls/cafes) and the Arab Quarter. We also went to Gardens by the Bay which was lovely (esp the light show in the evening).

We were on a similar Azamara itinerary to this last November and had a wonderful trip. I hope you have a fantastic time too.

(ps. In Koh Samul we did the ship's 'eco trip' which included an elephant ride. I cannot recommend that one although other people had enjoyed their ship's tours. I would not have ridden the elephant if I had known then what I understand now about the treatment of the elephants)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thailand is not so much a problem except If entering the Grand Palace in Bangkok they will furnish you...at a refundable price...with a sarong that they deem suitable!! If you enter any temple in Thailand you leave your shoes or sandals or whatever you wear on your feet...outside on the steps with everyone else.

If you are fortunate enough to get to the tomb of Ho Chi Minh what you wear doesn't matter as long as you do NOT smile...at all!!

Thank you very much Koalapanda. Your post made me look at the British Foreign office site which states there is a period of official mourning for one year. Dark colours are advised as a mark of respect.

This lead me the the site for Tourism in Thailand.

A lot of the main Tourist sites are closed to the public until tomorrow 1/11/2016.

My original question was based on a note in the Azamara land discoveries

please read below;

There is a dress code at the temple. No sleeveless or collarless shirts/blouses, no see-through or tight blouses, no shorts (including Bermuda shorts), no tight trousers or miniskirts, no divided skirts. Feet must be fully enclosed, no sandals or slippers, men must wear socks. Shoes must be taken off when entering the chapel.

However I can find no other references to the no Sandals ...socks part which is why I have posted because there is nothing better than actual expierance.

My personal experience having visited beautiful Thailand many times wearing open sandals has not been a problem. Bangkok these days is a very modern City. We love visiting Bangkok and have been into Klong Toey and Phuket ports on Azamara Quest on one of our visits in the past.

We'll be on Journey December 23, 2016 on a round-trip Singapore/Bali Indonesia cruise. From my research on Singapore, and in talking to friends who've been there, the Singapore Zoo Night Safari is a top attraction in Singapore. One of my guidebooks says it is the #1 place Singaporeans take out-of town visitors. I'm sure your cruise offers an excursion there, mine does, and we're going on it.

We'll be on Journey December 23, 2016 on a round-trip Singapore/Bali Indonesia cruise. From my research on Singapore, and in talking to friends who've been there, the Singapore Zoo Night Safari is a top attraction in Singapore. One of my guidebooks says it is the #1 place Singaporeans take out-of town visitors. I'm sure your cruise offers an excursion there, mine does, and we're going on it.

As we embark in Singapore, I don't think there are any excursions offered there. The brochure doesn't show any.

We're spending 5 days in SIN before we board and though we have a few things we know we want to do, we're not booking any tours -everything I've read shows Singapore easy to get around and DIY, which is our preference normally anyway:D (I have to work one day, we're going to be doing LOTS of eating, definitely visiting the Botanical gardens. Skipping the zoo, actually, as I hate zoos....)

Edited by Hoyaheel