Is the internet fast enough to actually work on?

nutterbutter818

For low volume email, sure. Low volume = no large attachments. Low volume = no need for continual real time interaction with your server (I.e., not checking documents and source code out of centralized libraries).

Anything dealing with large volumes of data, streaming, realtime interaction,,,, not so much. You are sharing a small pipe over a satellite link. The system is tailored to smart chaching of web pages, not being a pipe for a vpn connection.

Guess it depends on what work you're doing.

I was OK on both the Breakaway and the Gem doing work across an SSL VPN ( Didn't try IPSEC ). When the internet connection was up.

Although I did do more command line work than GUI.

There are NO towers in the ocean.

You are on a moving ship that has to try and capture a satellite that is also moving around the world.

The satellites are in a geostationary orbit.

I found that it was quite comparable to a satellite internet connection on land.

High latency and low bandwidth is to be expected. But, it seemed to me that not enough people used it to make the bandwidth very poor ( relative to a regular satellite connection ), and normally the connection quality was good ( not a lot of packet loss ).

Of course as a satellite connection it's vulnerable to weather.

There are NO towers in the ocean.

You are on a moving ship that has to try and capture a satellite that is also moving around the world.

Actually, the ship turns on its cell tower as soon as you are away from land. You get cell service and data service from the ship's tower just like on land. The fact that the ship's tower is backended by a satellite link is a matter of infrastructure. Just like a terrestrial tower can be backended by copper, fiber, microwave, or satellite.

The satellites that the ship use are in geostationary orbits. They "move" at the same speed as the rotation of the earth so they appear to be stationary in the sky. They do not "move around the world". The ship uses dual antennas to minimize blockage from the ship's superstructure and rigging. Those antenna are very accurate in their tracking of the satellites using gyroscope and signal peaking inputs, and are not "trying to capture the satellite". The satellite signals are subject to rain and snow attenuation, and the occasional bad look angle in parts of the world where the satellites are low to the horizon or in a position where they are right in front of the sun.

Edited by BirdTravels

We found the Internet on the Jade very usable for work. Our stateroom came with a laptop and the Internet speed was not very good on it but for our own devices it was better than we expected. Husband was able to work and I was able to FaceTime audio and video without the lagging voice, could watch videos... we noticed a slowdown on sea days midday but that was our only complaint. It's not high speed home fast but close enough for a ship.

Wow, it's weird that the opinions are so varied. On the Breakaway, I thought it was almost as fast as what I have on land. My husband even took a conference call via WebEx on a sea day. I worked a ton of email and went to a handful of websites.

Wow, it's weird that the opinions are so varied. On the Breakaway, I thought it was almost as fast as what I have on land. My husband even took a conference call via WebEx on a sea day.

Breakaway internet has always been great for me - streaming video, WebEx, connected to work all day via VPN without a blip, emails with large attachments, etc. I am also surprised that folks have so much trouble with it! I am usually in aft-facing cabins, so I don't know if that makes a difference.