Reasonable safe Hotel near Oahu Honolulu Cruiseport

pdsqueen

We will be heading to Oahu 2 days before our cruise. Are there any suggestions for a safe, reasonable hotel we can stay at near the cruise terminal?

Or we can stay further away and take a taxi to the Cruiseport. Thank you

If you look over at the Hawaii board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

You will find there is very little near the port in terms of hotels. Instead, with 2 days, you will most likely want to be in Waikiki, which is a fairly short taxi ride away. Tons of hotels there, lots of things to do. We stay at the Embassy Suites, but there is probably 100 hotels to chose from.

We will be heading to Oahu 2 days before our cruise. Are there any suggestions for a safe, reasonable hotel we can stay at near the cruise terminal?

Or we can stay further away and take a taxi to the Cruiseport. Thank you

Don't know of any dangerous areas on the island. I agree with other post Waikiki would be nice if you have 2 days. We stayed at the Marriott there. Across from the beach, nice breakfast buffet.

Public bus right to the Cruiseport is an option if you book in Waikiki near Kuhio St. The 19 and 20 bus drop you off across the street from the port entrance.

Bus fare is $1.00 with a Medicare card and otherwise $2.50. Same bus numbers also service the airport.

Luggage has to fit under the seat and there is ample room for a medium suitcase. Buses were empty in April on a weekday between 10 and 2.

Public bus right to the Cruiseport is an option if you book in Waikiki near Kuhio St. The 19 and 20 bus drop you off across the street from the port entrance.

Bus fare is $1.00 with a Medicare card and otherwise $2.50. Same bus numbers also service the airport.

Luggage has to fit under the seat and there is ample room for a medium suitcase. Buses were empty in April on a weekday between 10 and 2.

TheBus (the bus system in Honolulu) doesn't allow checked suitcases on their buses. Carry ons yes.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I am with the group that thinks you want to stay in Waikiki. Yes, there are numerous hotels, there.

In my prior (i.e., pre-retirement) life, I traveled regularly to Honolulu on business. Sometimes, I was able to choose from multiple hotels. Sometimes many of my regular choices were booked up and I took whatever was available.

The Ala Moana hotel on Atkinson Dr. is pretty reasonably priced--mostly, because it is on the fringe of the Waikiki neighborhood and not in the tourist-heavy area where the big resorts are located. I have to say, this hotel seems to cater to Asian travelers. If you like Japanese food, it has an excellent restaurant. However, the hotel is also adjacent to the Ala Moana shopping center. There is a walkway from the hotel to the shopping center parking lot. The shopping center has numerous retail stores--both Hawaiian touristy stores (e.g., Reyn-Spooner and the ubiquitous ABC Stores) and typical mid-America chain stores (e.g., Sears, Macy's)--and restaurants--again, local places and national chains. Oh, the shopping center does have a food court with several low-dollar options, but do not try the Shave Ice there--it is not the real deal.

Now, you should also be forewarned that Honolulu has a pretty large homeless population. (Why not? If you're homless, you want to be someplace where it's warm.) If you are uncomfortable with that, you probably want to avoid the Ala Moana beach area--right across the street from the shopping center.

I'm a walker. I can walk to the Ala Moana in 30 or 40 minutes from the Aloha Tower, where the cruise ships dock. However, dragging luggage that far is not an option. So, unless you are renting a car, take a taxi.

When I stayed in the more touristy section of Waikiki, it was, usually, at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. It is, certainly, not the fanciest hotel in the area, but it was, usually, reasonably priced. It has a great Waikiki location, and they have a nice outdoor Hawaiian show every evening.

I have stayed at the Marriott and the Hilton in Waikiki, and they are both outstanding.

If you are renting a car, my experience is that all the hotels have parking for you, and there will be a nightly fee.

When I used to travel there, the local rep with whom I worked was an Elk's Club member. After making our calls, we would occasionally go to the Waikiki club for late afternoon cocktails and pupus. If, by any chance, you are a member, you definitely want to consider dropping in there. :)

"Safe" is not a word I like to see when talking about a hotel. Like "basic, but clean"...

I honestly cannot think of anything down near the ports. Everyone stays down on Waikiki for a quick stay pre-cruise. It's maybe 2-2.5 miles or so from the cruise port. At that end, you start with the Ilimi, the Modern, the Hawaii Prince, a Ramada, the Aqua Palm (I've heard of some CCers staying there), a Doubletree, and Hilton Hawaiian Village. Those should give you a start to your research.

Don't think of going the other way and staying between the port and the airport - that is a sketchy area...

Not really anything near the port (aloha tower) best bet if you feel you MUST be near is Waikiki or as previous poster said is Ala Moana area. I believe all would be considered "reasonably safe" which is odd phrasing I must say. There is a large homeless population but you usually don't need to worry about them as much more than a nuisance. Personally I never liked going to Waikiki area because it is VERY touristy. Given a choice I would say stay on windward side near marine base Kaneohe- that's the side that looks like everyone's image of Hawaiian island. Plus that side is where most movies and TV spots except Hawaii 5-0 were filmed that feature Hawaii. Honestly it just depends on what you want to do and see while you are there and what time of the year you are going. I highly recommend Pearl Harbor it is phenomenal. I also recommend renting a car and just driving. You can actually go around the entire island in a day and just stop as you want to see the sites, don't need to pay for tours as this is one place I think just driving on your own is more interesting and economical. BTW I lived on Oahu for five years and visited Kauai and Maui so you know what my Hawaii experience is like.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by jmckay331