Pirates attack Seabourn Spirit! For Real!

Coral

It's sad that the humanitarian ships that have been attacked, not to mention all the other ships attacked in the region, never got a bit of press. Well, maybe this will get some help to the region so that they can at least deliver the food shipments.

I'm just guessing, but the acoustic boom is probably an air cannon like what they use at airports to scare off birds. The pirates probably thought they had real howitzer aimed at them.

StoneHarborLady - do you own a house at the shore? My wife and I got married in Stone Harbor! (Golden Inn, so technically Avalon)

And once again everyone, what's an onboard acoustic boom and why would it deter gunmen?

Dont I wish!!! My family has vacationed in Stone Harbor and Avalon for nearly 30 years now. Unfortunately, we just rent for a week or two. What a lovely place to get married!!

That was a scary story! The “pirates” or whatever name they should be called have been active for some time and on the news. I certainly would not think they would attempt to take over a large cruise ship. They may have thought they could get money etc and tried to see if they could actually get away with it. I am glad the captain handled it well.

Norm - from the Seabourn CC board is currently on the Spiritand took some pictures of the pirates - his pictures are on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=251873&page=2

Saw him on FoxNews last night...scary pictures! He had some cojones (sp?) to stick around and take those pictures! My skinny white butt would have been hiding under a table in the dining room.

My skinny white butt would have been hiding under a table in the dining room.

I would have been under the table also. Just reading his comments - I think he is now surprised he did what he did..... Just glad everyone is safe!

I taped fox news last night - I will have to watch it this morning.

"It used an on-board loud acoustic bang to deter the gunmen. "

Further info provided in the British newspaper 'Mail of Sunday' (Nov 6) read:-

WALL OF SOUND THAT KNOCKS ENEMY OFF HIS FEET

"The acoustic blast waves used to prevent the pirates getting on board the Seabourn Spirit are at the cutting edge of non-lethal weapons technology. The attackers would have felt the force of a high-powered blast of air blowing them off their feet. The equipment is built into the side of the ship. The USAF Institute for National Security Studies describes the technology as 'energy generation from a pulsed laser that will project a hot, high pressure plasma into the air. It creates a blast wave with variable but controlled effects on hardware and troops. American forces have developed these ear-splitting weapons to deter small boats approaching its warships".

There was a photo accompanying the article showing someone stood by a circular frame on a tripod of some sort. The frame was covered in tightly stretched fabric or rubber (by the looks of things).

Interestingly, my husbands recalls seeing something similar on the deck of the Grand Princess when we were docked in Istanbul earlier on this year... that and a huge banner strung from the side of the ship warning other vessels not to approach. A security speedboat was also patrolling the area at all times.

Laura

Archived