Cruising Australia or New Caledonia

kalyn

I am looking at booking a cruise in Australia but I want some advice on which cruise I should choose. I am considering Australia and New Zealand or one that leaves Australia and goes to New Caledonia and Vanuatu. Thanks for any opinions.

If you haven't been to NZ before then I suggest the Aus/NZ one. Most NZ ones go to Auckland, Tauranga (for Rotorua or Hobbiton), Wellington, Akaroa (near Christchurch), Dunedin, and stunning scenic cruising through Fiordland. Other ports may include the Bay of Islands, Gisborne, Napier, or Picton depending on the cruise line and itinerary. Be aware that you won't see much of Australia on a cruise though - Sydney and maybe Hobart in Tasmania or Melbourne.

The South Pacific Island are lovely if you want a beachy cruise. Many of the port stops are at very small islands where the focus is mainly on swimming or snorkelling. There may be some local tours, usually a small market, possibly some food stalls. There are a couple of small city ports - Noumea, Port Vila, Luganville where tours are usually available.

I am looking at booking a cruise in Australia but I want some advice on which cruise I should choose. I am considering Australia and New Zealand or one that leaves Australia and goes to New Caledonia and Vanuatu. Thanks for any opinions.

I see you are from Oregon.

New Zealand will be similar in many ways to the Pacific Northwest in climate and scenery. Very beautiful but cool except in the height of summer. It's a first world country so everything is pleasant and comfortable.

New Caledonia and Vanuatu would be most like the Caribbean, but far less developed. Very tropical and warm all year round. If you were going this way, I'd see about a cruise that included Fiji as well.

It depends on how exotic you like it. Personally I like to go for warm, but NZ has a lot going for it.

To throw in another option, have you considered Papua New Guinea from Sydney or Brisbane? Even warmer and more exotic, but not to everybody's taste. Very third world.

All depends on your own preferences to what you want to see but if you are coming all this way, I would see Australia and New Zealand. So much more to see. I think you would be disappointed if you came over here and only saw the South Pacific. If you had the time and money it would be perfect to see it all of course. Keep in mind you still don't get to see much of the country while on a cruise so would be good to allow extra time to explore before or after the cruise.

Agree with the NZ suggestions. The AU/NZ cruises are more about the destination cities, towns and activities. The South Pacific cruises are more our equivalent of the Caribbean cruises - but are a lot less developed than there as well; mostly beaches, snorkelling and local sights.