Drink Package

ScottC4746

I just saw an offer for $44 per person per day for a deluxe drink package.

Is this worth it? That comes out to $308 for a 7 night cruise. Worth it?

Please detail what drinks you will average daily so we can evaluate "worth".

That would depend on how much you drink...do the math...not always a good deal.

Cheers :p

Generally sodas, coffee and water in the day time .

ME: Martini before dinner wine with dinner after dinner drink willing to try the drink of the day.

DH: Pretty much the same as I less the after dinner drink, but he could surprise me.

ME: Martini before dinner wine with dinner after dinner drink willing to try the drink of the day.

DH: Pretty much the same as I less the after dinner drink, but he could surprise me.

If you are saying 3 alcoholic drinks per day, I don't think the Deluxe package would save you money.

At that price, you'd need to drink about 5 alcoholic drinks per day for it to be worth it. If you have a couple by the pool during the day, a couple before/during dinner, 2 or 3 in the evening it pays off for sure! I easily do this over the course of a day, but if you don't drink that much it won't be worth the extra cost.

i will get berated for saying this but you can pretty easily share one...theres many bars on board. My wife an I drink the same things anyways. And if we don't I'll just run to a different bar to get her something. Seems kind of backwards if she drinks 2-3 a day to pay for them when you already have a package. Just have to get your drinks before dinner!

Edited by atnolan94

I got out the folio from our last cruise and added up what we spent on alcohol and specialty coffee. I figured that the deluxe package would be worth it to us at around $42/day + gratuities. When the price dropped to $43/day, I pulled the trigger. With bottled water and fresh-squeezed juice, we should come out a little ahead. Even if we don't, not having to think about how much we're spending while on the cruise will be a nice fringe benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I got out the folio from our last cruise and added up what we spent on alcohol and specialty coffee. I figured that the deluxe package would be worth it to us at around $42/day + gratuities. When the price dropped to $43/day, I pulled the trigger. With bottled water and fresh-squeezed juice, we should come out a little ahead. Even if we don't, not having to think about how much we're spending while on the cruise will be a nice fringe benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The red is one of the best benefits. Pre-budget, pre-spend, don't worry.

Also if you go to Labadee or CocoCay, you drink package will work, so bear that in mind in your calculations...

I know it's hard to answer the question if the drink package is actually worth it. I can't compare what I may normally drink on a cruise because I'm watching my drink budget. I would really just buy those drinks I know I would really want and those I really like because I'm for real paying for those if I didn't have a package. If I did have one, I would most certainly have that afternoon frosty and those one or two during a show. I would certainly taste test other drinks that I would not have otherwise tasted. Those are the things that adds to the lure of a drink package. That being said, I have not purchased a package but I would like to die one of my upcoming cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Also consider your itinerary. We are cruising from San Juan in a couple weeks, with only 1 sea day and lots of private excursions planned that include drinks. So for this cruise in particular, I would think it would be rare that someone would come out ahead with a drinks package.

At that price, you'd need to drink about 5 alcoholic drinks per day for it to be worth it. If you have a couple by the pool during the day, a couple before/during dinner, 2 or 3 in the evening it pays off for sure! I easily do this over the course of a day, but if you don't drink that much it won't be worth the extra cost.

i will get berated for saying this but you can pretty easily share one...theres many bars on board. My wife an I drink the same things anyways. And if we don't I'll just run to a different bar to get her something. Seems kind of backwards if she drinks 2-3 a day to pay for them when you already have a package. Just have to get your drinks before dinner!

So you only pay for one when you visit a buffet restaurant and just get food for everyone else without paying for them? However you slice it its stealing and the only people it affects are the people who abide by the rules with higher costs.

No berating necessary, you know its wrong but still do it.. Classssssy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I didn't create this Spreadsheet (someone else on this Forum did the hard work), but I have "modified" it to the New Deluxe/Refreshment Pkgs.

Enter the number of Pkgs you intend on buying (and the Price of 1 Pkg), and for each Day, "Guess" what you might consume. At the end of the Spreadsheet, you will see if it makes sense to Purchase or not, based on your Best Guess.

Drink_Package_Calculator-2017 (1).xls

It used to be if you drink 5 or more drinks a day package was worthy it, now with discount its down to 4, we will have 2 glasses of wine with lunch and another 2 with dinner, and a few more during the day, already paid for drink package for April cruise sand thinking about buying it now for November 2017 cruise

I didn't create this Spreadsheet (someone else on this Forum did the hard work), but I have "modified" it to the New Deluxe/Refreshment Pkgs.

Enter the number of Pkgs you intend on buying (and the Price of 1 Pkg), and for each Day, "Guess" what you might consume. At the end of the Spreadsheet, you will see if it makes sense to Purchase or not, based on your Best Guess.

Thanks I forgot to double it. That answered my question. No, we cannot drink $363.44 worth of drinks in a week per person.

Run your habits through RCLFan's purloined spreadsheet, just to be sure. ;)

Can you provide a little more detail on your soda and coffee intake?

That can drastically change whether or not it is 'worth it.'

If you're buying cans of soda and/or specialty coffee plus your 3 drinks a day, you will probably be ahead at the end of the cruise with the discounted package.

Edited by ewenix

just count the package cost, you will pay gratuities either way.

If you drink the coffee drinks or soda, that will help get you there too.

Do not forget the water, free bottle water sparkling or plain is also part of package, we always pick up a bottle or 2 when we order a drinks

Do not forget the water, free bottle water sparkling or plain is also part of package, we always pick up a bottle or 2 when we order a drinks

I agree, everyone always just factors in the amount of alcoholic drinks. But the water, soda, specialty coffee's, fresh juices. All of these count. On a cruise I drink 4-5 bottles of water per day at $2 each that is $10 per day just for water. That essentially brings the alcoholic cost down from $44 per day to $34 per day. Now I only need 3 drinks per day to hit that break even

I agree, everyone always just factors in the amount of alcoholic drinks. But the water, soda, specialty coffee's, fresh juices. All of these count. On a cruise I drink 4-5 bottles of water per day at $2 each that is $10 per day just for water. That essentially brings the alcoholic cost down from $44 per day to $34 per day. Now I only need 3 drinks per day to hit that break even

The whole bottled water thing doesn't really make sense unless you're a person who refuses to drink the water they give you on the ship, which is free. It works to count bottled water if you're trying to justify the price of the package, but it doesn't work for someone who is trying to make the best use of their money, because that person would probably choose the free option to minimize cost if possible.

Also, while the convenience factor of having a package does have some value, everyone has to evaluate what that value is to them personally. If you don't drink enough to break even, but are only coming in slightly below the package price (let's say $30), maybe the package is still worth it because you're willing to pay $30 for the convenience factor. If you're coming in way below, let's say, $150, then maybe the convenience factor loses its appeal because you don't see $150 of value in the convenience factor.

If you've factored $10 a day in bottled water to your drink total, you're giving yourself $70 towards that break even that wouldn't really count if you were fine drinking the free water in the first place. So even if you break even, if you deduct that $70 from it, you've come $70 below the break even; does the convenience of the package have $70 of value to you? Or, put another way, wood you pay $70 so that you don't have to drink free water out of a cup instead of getting it from a bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Making the comment that drinking bottled water does not make sense is just an opinion. In today world more and more people drink bottled water, its everywhere. And its very convenient when going ashore to grab a bottle or two of water. Dont forget the coffee and juices. Yes you can drink the regular coffee, but lets be honest, its crap! Here is a chart I got from a website talking about the drink package and value:

Breakfast 1 Iced Latte $4.50

Mid morning 2 Bottles of Water $4.50

Lunch 1 Frozen Cocktail $7.50

Afternoon 1 Froze Cocktail $7.50

1 Bottled Water $2.25

Pre-Dinner 1 Bottled Beer $6.00

Dinner 1 Glasses of Wine $10.00

Pre-Show 1 Signature Cocktail $12.00

Late night 2 Signature Cocktails $24.00

Before Bed 2 Bottled Waters $4.50

Total $82.75

Now even if you take away 2 alcoholic drinks that is $15-$20 less. Its still a value with the package. I know everyone has different budgets, but this is a vacation. We indulge on vacation, that is part of cruising.

My original point was there are other factors when deciding the value of the drink package, then alcohol alone.

Making the comment that drinking bottled water does not make sense is just an opinion. In today world more and more people drink bottled water, its everywhere. And its very convenient when going ashore to grab a bottle or two of water. Dont forget the coffee and juices. Yes you can drink the regular coffee, but lets be honest, its crap! Here is a chart I got from a website talking about the drink package and value:

Breakfast1 Iced Latte $4.50

Mid morning 2 Bottles of Water$4.50

Lunch1 Frozen Cocktail$7.50

Afternoon1 Froze Cocktail$7.50

1 Bottled Water $2.25

Pre-Dinner1 Bottled Beer$6.00

Dinner1 Glasses of Wine$10.00

Pre-Show1 Signature Cocktail$12.00

Late night2 Signature Cocktails$24.00

Before Bed 2 Bottled Waters $4.50

Total$82.75

Now even if you take away 2 alcoholic drinks that is $15-$20 less. Its still a value with the package. I know everyone has different budgets, but this is a vacation. We indulge on vacation, that is part of cruising.

My original point was there are other factors when deciding the value of the drink package, then alcohol alone.

Maybe I didn't write my post clearly enough, because that was my point exactly; that each person has to evaluate for themselves whether the bottled water factor actually makes financial sense for them.

For me, I would not factor in the bottled water to the break even point because if I didn't have the package, I would not buy the bottled water. I drink the ship water because I find it to taste fine and the cost of their bottled isn't worth it to me, even though at home I am a bottled water drinker. I have bottled water and 5 gallon jugs of filtered water delivered to my door every month, but even that only costs me $30 a month, not $70 a week.

I have brought my own bottled water on the ship to take with me when we go onshore, at the cost of $6 per 24-bottle case. If they didn't allow me to do that I would bring a reusable bottle and have it filled up on the ship to take with me, because I simply don't see spending $70 a week on water a good use of my money (I'd rather use it to scuba dive or leave it in my vacation account to go towards a future vacation). Some people do, which was the point of my post. Determine whether that bottled water calculation is just to help you get to the break even point, and if the bottled water is what is getting you there...is it worth that much money to you? That was my point.

EDITED TO ADD: I do see your point though, that it isn't just alcohol that counts. My point was more about focusing on the water as the one thing that brings people to break even. Also, if people are mainly drinking non-alcoholic drinks, they should also evaluate whether they'd be better off with the refreshment package and then just buying alcohol out of pocket. For people like me who don't drink coffee very often, and rarely if ever drink juice, and am ok drinking ship water, the package would be just for the alcohol, which I couldn't drink enough of on a daily basis to make it worth it, and adding in bottled water to justify the price of the package isn't really worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl