Drink package Cheaters??

carlp

Actually, it is different. Depending on the situation as to where you are, other traffic, etc, going the speed limit when everyone else around you is speeding can actually be dangerous. Or how about an emergency situation. There are plenty of other circumstances where exceeding the speed limit is the right thing to do. I can not think of any circumstance where sharing your drink package is the right thing to do.

I know two different people here in AZ who have been pulled over and cited a ticket (and not a cheap ticket) for impeding the flow of traffic (aka going too slow) on the freeway. Both were doing 85+ mph in a 75 mph zone.

On to the topic: Cheating on the drink package is not a crime. However, just like a crime, there are potential consequences if you are caught and they choose to enforce their policies. The potential consequence regarding the drink package is to be cut off for the rest of the cruise with no refund. I suppose in a very extreme case, a violator could be put off the ship at the next port of call. Like anything else, it is a risk and each person has their own risk tolerance.

*pounds on the equine corpse some more* :cool:

But you are justifying breaking the law. When the law you are breaking can cause DEATH. "Everyone else is doing it" is a valid excuse to you?

Going to slow for traffic can also cause death. Let's be real: just about anything can cause death. As a former firefighter/EMT and 911 dispatcher, I've seen plenty of nasty accidents at high rates of speed and low rates of speed. I used to get calls about people going too slow for traffic; causing a hazard. Unfortunately, they were not going below the legal limit, and were not breaking the law. They were, however, putting others at risk. I just don't see the speeding analogy and the sharing of drink packages as apples to apples at all! There are a MILLION different variables in any traffic situation. (Do you need to speed up to safely pass a semi, do you need to speed up to merge without causing an accident, do you need to pull to the other side of the intersection to let emergency vehicles through?) There are NOT a million variables when it comes to whether or not your friends and family members paid for their drinks, or got them from a package that was meant for you and you alone.

Edited by payitforward

I know two different people here in AZ who have been pulled over and cited a ticket (and not a cheap ticket) for impeding the flow of traffic (aka going too slow) on the freeway. Both were doing 85+ mph in a 75 mph zone.

On to the topic: Cheating on the drink package is not a crime. However, just like a crime, there are potential consequences if you are caught and they choose to enforce their policies. The potential consequence regarding the drink package is to be cut off for the rest of the cruise with no refund. I suppose in a very extreme case, a violator could be put off the ship at the next port of call. Like anything else, it is a risk and each person has their own risk tolerance.

*pounds on the equine corpse some more* :cool:

Haha, I liked the sense of humor in your last line. I once received a speeding ticket and the judge when I went to court (hoping to get the fine reduced, which I did) asked the issuing officer first whether I did in fact exceed the speed limit, and then asked whether my speed was in keeping with the other drivers (I was pretty much alone on the road in question, so that was a "no.") The point being that it might be possible to be speeding but keeping up with traffic. This is one of those "did you break the rules" versus "did you endanger anyone" questions. I have an ethical issue with sharing drinks when it's against the rules, but that's just me. I don't want to have to worry about getting caught. I enjoy my vacation a lot more that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think prices go up because people are sharing drink packages. If RCI raises prices, it's because they can. It's the same reason food and drink at an amusement park costs more. They have a captive audience. Long ago, you could get pop when eating in the dining room. They no longer do that. Is it because it was such a huge expense? Seriously? McDonald's will give you 32 ounces for a buck and give you free refills. When people stop purchasing drinks because of the cost, whether through a package or individually, RCI will stop raising prices.

Soda is pretty cheap, but the reality was, it was included in your fare so not that analogy doesn't work. They don't offer "free" soda anymore because they don't include it in your cruisefare. It's that simple.

Interesting thread. Read all of it. I don't see it as beating a dead horse. I found it all very interesting and ty to everyone for posting.

The point about speeding caught my attention. I see a lot of people who don't just speed but speed in school and construction zones, roll thru stop signs when pedestrians are present, transport children without proper restraints and etc etc etc and many of these people consider themselves morally righteous and 'good' people. They wouldn't steal a dime nor take a swing at anyone but in a car, watch out. Funny how some people are wired.

Re the topic at hand, yeah, it's better for everyone if people abide by this rule. I personally wouldn't violate it because it's inconvenient to try and get away with it and ever since I had kids I've been determined to be a good role model all the time. Even when they are not around, if that makes sense. But I wouldn't condemn anyone for breaking this rule. Rather I would just think it's odd.

Threads on this topic come up quite often and it's the same argument all the time - including the speeding analogy.

Then why bother participating? If you don't want to talk about it, stay out of the conversation. Do you walk up to strangers in public and tell them their conversation is pointless and they should stop?

Funny you would bring up Trump when I mentioned no names specifically. There's plenty to go around for everyone in and out of politics. I was making a general statement about our society. Maybe you missed it but I did include myself in my criticism.

I was just joking, hence the smiley face. Whats more pointless then a cheating drink package thread then bringing in politics? :D

I was just joking, hence the smiley face. Whats more pointless then a cheating drink package thread then bringing in politics? :D

I guess I did miss that. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Then why bother participating? If you don't want to talk about it, stay out of the conversation. Do you walk up to strangers in public and tell them their conversation is pointless and they should stop?

There's nothing wrong with pointing out that a topic has been discussed to death. Most of us that read the posts on a daily or semi-daily basis over a long period of time, do eventually get annoyed at hearing the same things discussed to death, but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't open the thread, because you just never know, mayyyyybe just maybe someone will have a new view on the topic to enlighten us with.

If not, it's not really a big deal to jump in and express the frustration, or in Biker's case, I think he's just trying to add some comedy to the discussion, after seeing it go on and on and on for days at a time. To me, comments like that are part of the discussion and just another viewpoint really. You're doing pretty much the same thing he's doing by telling him not to join in (mentioning the obvious I mean). It's all part of the discussion as far as I'm concerned; his memes don't bother me, I find them funny and often agree with the sentiments.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

If not, it's not really a big deal to jump in and express the frustration, or in Biker's case, I think he's just trying to add some comedy to the discussion, after seeing it go on and on and on for days at a time. To me, comments like that are part of the discussion and just another viewpoint really. You're doing pretty much the same thing he's doing by telling him not to join in (mentioning the obvious I mean). It's all part of the discussion as far as I'm concerned; his memes don't bother me, I find them funny and often agree with the sentiments.

Its funny once, but then when its repeated multiple times it borders on insulting. We get it, YOU think its pointless. Okay already.

That may be true, but what about the situation where you have two people on a cruise, both of whom get the package but one of them drinks a lot more than the other? What is an "average" number of drinks to one person might be far different to another, yet both people pay the same for the package. Personally, I'd rather see packages offered that allow you, say, five mixed drinks per day and offer it for much less than the $55 per day currently being advertised. My wife drinks significantly less than I do, and I don't drink all that much to start with, but we both pay the same price for that package as someone who might drink 15 drinks per day.

One hopes that you have done the math and have worked out that the lighter drinker is still drinking enough liquid to justify the cost of the package. Otherwise either don't buy it OR consider it payment for "the convenience" and be done with it.

I missed out on the 30% off that brought the new refreshment (old replenish) down to a dollar less than the last time we bought replenish for DH. Oops. He can't even hit the "even" level with that cost, let alone at $26/day. So we won't get it for him. Definitely not getting it for DS. And I was really reaching to hit the "even" level for that same 30% off deluxe. At the current 20% cost I see I definitely can't break even.

So it's two water packages (ship water messes with DH and my systems terribly) and I'll use the "buy one get one" beers on my account (and DH will no doubt use his for me too since he doesn't drink), and I'll probably bring two bottles of wine and we will use our OBC for the espresso drinks for the adults, and fresh squeezed OJ and the virgin piña coladas for DH and DS every so often.

And we will be happy and will have paid less than with a package, and no one will be sloshing to make a package worth it. :)