Eclipse Transatlantic - Oct Nov 2016

ighten

We've been to Bermuda twice now with Celebrity. I've never been able to capture the colour of the water as your pictures have. Very nice.

Glad you had a nice trip around the island. It isn't too hard to see the whole (every inch) of the island as it's pretty small but is it a pretty island. We find it is similar to Prince Edward Island (We're originally from Nova Scotia).

Thanks for all the lovely pictures and the details of the TA trip. I would love to do this trip some time and visit some of my father's relatives from the UK while I'm at it.

Thnx for your kind words.. Though DOH again... heres the rest. I really need to stop being so easily distracted.

We have another private trip here with Winsome Transport organised by Pam from Nova Scotia, who put the whole thing together using the roll call feature from Cruise Critic. Debbie (or Socks) is our driver and guide and takes us on a pretty intensive full day excursion that covers what feels like every inch of the islands that make up Bermuda.

DSC01783.jpg

DSC01793.jpg

The weather stays nice for us and we climb lighthouses, collect glass from beaches, visit historic towns and churches, wander around heaven like golf courses and wade through the crystal clear waters on hot pink sand beaches - though from Jacks reaction I'm guessing the water isn't as warm as it looks.

DSC01843.jpg

A late lunch (2pm and we're all starving - if you take this tour have a big breakfast first) and a nice cool beer is taken in Swizzles Bar; after running through the menu we decide on a lovely huge fish sandwich.

DSC01856.jpg

Bermuda has just been hit a few weeks ago by a hurricane so a lot of trees have lost their green flush but even so it still looks as beautiful as you imagine and is certainly as expensive as you would expect.

After lunch we head to St Georges where we bump into the Mayoress (who Socks knows - then again I dont think theres a person on the island who doesn't know Socks) before paying a visit to the tiny town hall of this pretty UNESCO town.

DSC01866.jpg

Now time for a quick history lesson - If you remember what I said earlier about the reefs that suround the island they played a significant role in how St Georges came to be the first capital of Bermuda. In the 17th Century Admiral Sir George Somers was leading a fleet of settlers over to Virginia from England. They hit a storm and realizing they were about to loose total control of the ships took the decision to deliberately run them aground on the reefs around Bermuda so they could walk on to the Island and from here settled and created the capital here calling it New London.

DSC01876.jpg

DSC01816.jpg

We return back to the ship at a pitch black 5.30pm, its been a full and enjoyable day. The "Ecstasy" has already left leaving just the "Eclipse" at the pier for tonight.

Tonight its the MDR again where Moses (possibly the coolest waiter known to man) informs us it will be 'Evening chic' night tomorrow. He has a wonderful deep Caribbean accent so chic is pronounced as 'chick night' and I'm half expecting a band of steel drummers to accompany him as he describes tonight's recommendations from the menu. There's a lot of beautiful ceviche style scallops and tuna that's just been shown the griddle for a second or two on tonight's menu - its all fantastic.

OK coming to the end.. Again I'll post in a couple of sections to keep in the forums pic limit - cant work out how to transfer the horn battle vid on here though so bear with me...

Fri Nov 12th (day 15) Nassau , New Providence, Bahamas

DSC01924.jpg

Clocks back again or was it forward this morning (I'm starting to get as confused as the poor lady on day 2) so we are up and on the balcony at 6.30am watching the sun rise slowly over the Island of New Providence whose name I didn't even know (Excuse my ignorance but I just thought the island was called Nassau). We slip in through the narrow harbour entrance, spin around gracefully 180 degrees and back slowly into the pier. We are followed by 3 other ships a couple more old Carnivals - Elation & Victory - and Disneys Dream which at the moment sounds more like a Tim Burton Nightmare than a peaceful Dream as it seems to be 90% screaming children ; ) on board.

DSC01931.jpg

DSC01933.jpg

Gemma brings us our final breakfast this morning so we thank her and tip her a little extra for what has been a truly delightful service every morning. By 9.00am its already passing 80c so we decide to head out before it gets even hotter and have a little exploration of the more historic areas of Nassau.

DSC01941.jpg

DSC01940.jpg

Once free of what seems like a million taxi drivers touting for business we have a look at the Cathedral and the cloister gardens, the Governor's House before then circling back to Parliament square. These areas are quite pretty compared to the frankly grotty high street and the light is superb this early in the morning.

DSC01942.jpg Governor's Mansion, Nassau, Bahamas.

DSC01949.jpg

It is now just a little too hot for my pale English skin, we are back on board by 11:30 and sitting round the pool slowly frying. Splendour of the Seas - which I think wins the ugliest boat in todays selection (hey lets just drop a rock wall on the top) - has arrived and is now doing the 180 degree spin in the harbour bringing the total here today to 5 ships. Glad we got out and about nice and early.

I think we must be more city tourist people as to be honest, I'm not sure what on earth I would do on a Caribbean cruise if the Bahamas is anything to go by (Nassau in particular) Then again I suppose I'll have answered my own question when I'm digging the lane to the Barn out from under a snow drift this winter!

We leave at 5.00pm pulling out with horns blazing to tempt the Disney Dream to respond. Of course she cant resist and gives us a send off with several of her tunes.

//

DSC01982.jpg

Great dinner tonight and a final show featuring Christina from

band as Adele, just fantastic & the Jersey Boys tribute band December 63 also do a short set, great entertainment all round.

Following along and many thanks for your review up to now. We'll be doing the exact same itinerary new year on Eclipse and celebrating my birthday at the same time!

Excellent B'day present..

Last day (well not quite due to TC and there inability to find a tyre for an Airbus but that as they say is another story)

Celebrity Eclipse - Transatlantic Broadway and Boardwalks - Day 16 arrive Miami

Sat Nov 13th (day 15) Miami, FL, USA

DSC01993.jpg

Miami - end of the line -culmination -the last port; I prefer finale, it has a slight sense of grandeur that befits crossing the Atlantic Ocean at an average speed of 21mph.

DSC01994.jpg

We arrive early morning and admire the billion dollar yatchs & watch the coastguard boats cruising up & down. In Europe, we tend to go for the walk off with our bags, self service style, but as our flights don't leave till late this afternoon we decide to spend the morning on the ship bag free - we are among the last group to leave.

DSC01992.jpg

Its hot, it's too hot - if that wasn't bad enough its also horribly sticky. We have spent many a Christmas in Orlando at WDW and had nice warm days and cool evenings but this is just a little uncomfortable. Does one month and a few degrees south really make so much difference. The irony is the last time we were in Miami we strolled along the beach on a grey cloudy day in July whilst being battered by a sharp breeze and all I could think was "Jesus.. its just like Morecambe"

If the heat wasn't bad enough Miami Port's curbside chaos is enough to put you off embarking/disembark here ever again. We have a car booked to drive us to the airport but our finding it or him finding us takes at least 30 minutes of patience, a hefty phone bill and descriptions of what we are wearing before a black sedan finally pulls up.

Safely bundled inside and with bottles of cold water we are on our way to the airport. The driver asks what time our flight is due (little does he or we know at this point) but on discovering it's in the evening he makes the suggestion we should dump our bags at the terminal and take a local cab to a seafood restaurant a mile from the airport.

DSC01997.jpg

A flight of local beers and glasses of Sauvignon, we tuck in to some lovely spiced shrimp and fish. Catch of the Day is a great find, full of locals and very tasty. We have ' Cuban' coffee to finish. Woo, now I'm awake!

DSC01996.jpg

Reluctantly, we take a taxi back to the airport and check in. Having only ever flown with Thomas Cook once before on a long haul, I remember it being late and non existent for customer service. This time we didn't choose TC, the flights were included with the cruise. Well the planes here but needs a tyre replacing. It takes another 36 hours until that tyre is replaced - we spend the night and the following day in the nearby Sheraton.. and 2 days in Miami airport! What a fiasco TC. We will never willingly book you again.

Good to be home anyway - we can finally start watching that Breaking Bad box set.

In Summary apart from the useless airline full marks to Celebrity. An unforgettable trip in lots of ways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

DSC01816.jpg

Tonight its the MDR again where Moses (possibly the coolest waiter known to man) informs us it will be 'Evening chic' night tomorrow.....QUOTE]

Hi Ighten, we were also served in the MDR by Moses and his assistant Mario, but we can't remember the name of the Sommelier in that section (probably because he plied us with so much wine!). Do you happen to know it?

Chris

• 2 months later...
Thank you so much for sharing. I have just lost an evening reading it.

We depart from Miami on her Eastbound crossing next Saturday. It is our first cruise.....and to say we are excited is an understatement.

8 more sleeps!! ;)

Im sure you'll love it - Have a good trip

Love your review and your fabulous pics! I totally agree with you that the portions are too big in Qsine!

It wouldn't be so bad if the gimmicky ipad guide actually gave you some idea or there was consistency. The foods good (and worth a try) but I feel they really have got this part a bit wrong.