Couple of deaths on Solstice

Cruise Junky

As bizarre as it sounds an average of 3 pax pass away on cruises over 10 days. Probably due to a more elderly crowd that frequents longer trips.

Yep, but this was different in that both were accidental deaths.

Last year we did 34 days, ave age was 70 something we lost 2 a week.

I was on this cruise and we heard about the accidents from the captain while we were at dinner......everyone fell silent and I think it made us all reflect on how fragile life really is. at our next port, Auckland, a priest/minister was bought on board and a service was held. Unfortunately I don't know how many attended as our shore tour didn't get us back to the ship in time. but I think it was a wonderful gesture and I hope it helped. Celebrity was very good and offered the services of their care team to anyone who was in any way affected by the accidents. hats off to them.

my thoughts and prayers are still with those involved.

cheers

Belinda

Thanks for that information, and I'm most reassured that Celebrity provided such good support. So true about how fragile life can be. I'm glad that you got home safely. There have been significant subsequent discussions in town here about improving cycle safety- which is always an ongoing task- but often a sad random element to these events.

Thanks for that information, and I'm most reassured that Celebrity provided such good support. So true about how fragile life can be. I'm glad that you got home safely. There have been significant subsequent discussions in town here about improving cycle safety- which is always an ongoing task- but often a sad random element to these events.

let me add that I thoroughly enjoyed our visit to your area...while I didn't get in Tauranga itself I enjoyed a shore tour on our first day here, and had a wonderful time shopping and wandering around Mt Manganui the second day. a truly beautiful place.

cheers

Belinda

let me add that I thoroughly enjoyed our visit to your area...while I didn't get in Tauranga itself I enjoyed a shore tour on our first day here, and had a wonderful time shopping and wandering around Mt Manganui the second day. a truly beautiful place.

cheers

Belinda

Thank you Belinda- you definitely experienced the best part of town by staying over at Mt Maunganui. As a city, we love having cruise ship visitors and hence why the recent accidents have hit the town so hard. Thanks again for your kind comments. Calum

Sad news.

I see that one of the deceased was a bike rider. That always hits home with me, since I am an active bike rider and do long rides as a part of my exercise program.

When I plan a bike ride, especially while on a cruise, it is usually with a tour company and the routes are in areas without heavy traffic.