Couple of deaths on Solstice

Cruise Junky

How awful One passenger dead and a bus load witnessing another death.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty-times/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503343&objectid=11753112

Yes, sadly this happened in my city, and the town is reeling from an unpredictably tragic day, during the Solstice's first overnight stay in Tauranga. Our thoughts are with the family of the woman who lost her life in a very unlucky event on a harbourside cycling tour, and also with those who were on the bus which collided with a car in a separate incident whilst returning from Hobbiton. We are relieved that the bus passengers were able to return to the ship, but sadly the local driver of the car was killed.

We hope that the rest of the journey is uneventful for those on board and thinking of you all right now.

Very sad and a tragic memory for those who witnessed the deaths, but it might be good to mention that these deaths occurred in port and not ON the Solstice as the thread title implies.

I was on my phone when I posted and unfortunately you can't edit a title

Yes, sadly this happened in my city, and the town is reeling from an unpredictably tragic day, during the Solstice's first overnight stay in Tauranga. Our thoughts are with the family of the woman who lost her life in a very unlucky event on a harbourside cycling tour, and also with those who were on the bus which collided with a car in a separate incident whilst returning from Hobbiton. We are relieved that the bus passengers were able to return to the ship, but sadly the local driver of the car was killed.

We hope that the rest of the journey is uneventful for those on board and thinking of you all right now.

So very sad/ :( Glad no one on the bus was injured. A timely reminder to be careful while on cruises...or anywhere!

Does anyone know if the cycle tour was ship sponsored? Wonder how the accident happened.

newbie2013 - You should write for your newspaper! Your explanation of events is much easier to decipher. Thank you. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

So very sad/ :( Glad no one on the bus was injured. A timely reminder to be careful while on cruises...or anywhere!

Does anyone know if the cycle tour was ship sponsored? Wonder how the accident happened.

newbie2013 - You should write for your newspaper! Your explanation of events is much easier to decipher. Thank you. ;)

Thank you iamthesea,

The cycle tour was a small group organised via Shore Excursions. I understand it occurred at an intersection whilst crossing from one cycle lane to another, to head back over the harbour bridge. Investigations are ongoing, but from accounts it appears to have been a tragic contact with a logging truck passing by, with no evidence of any individual's fault.

Our relaxed, beautiful harbourside city looks forward to cruise ship visitors every year, and the 2016-17 season has only recently begun. To have this random event happen on our doorstep has made us very sad indeed.

Thank you iamthesea,

The cycle tour was a small group organised via Shore Excursions. I understand it occurred at an intersection whilst crossing from one cycle lane to another, to head back over the harbour bridge. Investigations are ongoing, but from accounts it appears to have been a tragic contact with a logging truck passing by, with no evidence of any individual's fault.

Our relaxed, beautiful harbourside city looks forward to cruise ship visitors every year, and the 2016-17 season has only recently begun. To have this random event happen on our doorstep has made us very sad indeed.

Oh my goodness, that's horrible. Thanks for letting us know - so sad for everyone involved

This was how we wanted visitors to remember our town- links from the day before yesterday's events:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty-times/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503343&objectid=11752288

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty-times/video/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503351&gal_cid=1503351&gallery_id=168244

Prayers going out. Cycling has become a very dangerous sport. My sister was injured badly in a bike accident and I was almost killed by a crazy dog. I only ride on our greenway now. The streets are simply too dangerous. Stay safe folks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were to be in your town this coming February, but cancelled our cruise and have rebooked for Feb. 2018. Looking forward to seeing your part of the world. :)

We were to be in your town this coming February, but cancelled our cruise and have rebooked for Feb. 2018. Looking forward to seeing your part of the world. :)

Sorry we aren't going to welcome you to our part of the world this upcoming southern summer, but glad that you have rebooked for the following season. Please let me know if there is any information I can provide about the Tauranga/ Bay of Plenty region, or indeed NZ as a whole. For Tauranga, the ship docks at Mt Maunganui which is a pleasant seaside town, and from the dock it's a stroll along Pilot Bay to the base of "the Mount" which has a lovely 40 minute base walking track, or a decent trek to the top for superb views. Hobbiton and the thermal region of Rotorua are within an hour's drive. Where are you based?

My condolences go out to both of their families

Thanks cazzi,

It was reported in the local paper this morning that the husband of the woman killed cycling has been overwhelmed with support here, and he now begins the sad journey back to New York. As was said above, this is not the way to end a holiday- and this has really saddened the local community.

Enjoy each day. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

It was reported in the local paper this morning that the husband of the woman killed cycling has been overwhelmed with support here, and he now begins the sad journey back to New York. As was said above, this is not the way to end a holiday- and this has really saddened the local community.

It is so sad; no one wants to have a vacation like that.

She may have been Canadian or American, and looking for traffic that drives on the right is an ingrained habit for us. I had a close call in Ireland many years back looking the wrong way for oncoming traffic while crossing the street.

I hope he had travel insurance as well to remove at least that financial part of the equation. Repatriation of remains can be very expensive, and it's often a surprise cost that comes at the worst possible time.

It is sad whenever anyone dies or gets injured anywhere. It is especially bad when it happens while people are traveling. I have been on 2 cruises recently where a person we were traveling with died. There was no accident. Both men were less than 70 and in good shape. Sudden heart attacks. Celebrity made the widow disembark at the next port. The body was removed from the ship. Celebrity staff were very helpful making arrangements. Celebrity trip insurance paid for everything. The 2nd guy died on different cruise line. The excursion was an included activity. Again, the widow had to disembark and make transit arrangements.

Other times, I have seen people get hurt riding bikes and hiking. Some people try doing things on a vacation that they do not do at home. Out of shape for an activity can be a problem. If you don't ride a bike at home, don't do on a vacation. Wear protective gear.

The real threat is being a passenger in a vehicle driven poorly. In many places, buses and taxis are not well maintained. Some drivers shouldn't be driving. I was recently on an excursion bus in Germany on the AutoBan when I noticed that we were swerving. WE were going very fast and the driver was texting. I was very upset. When I got back to the ship, I told the cruise director about the texting. I also showed him photos of the driver texting. The response was that I shouldn't complain. Obviously I will not sail on that line again.

I was on this cruise and we heard about the accidents from the captain while we were at dinner......everyone fell silent and I think it made us all reflect on how fragile life really is. at our next port, Auckland, a priest/minister was bought on board and a service was held. Unfortunately I don't know how many attended as our shore tour didn't get us back to the ship in time. but I think it was a wonderful gesture and I hope it helped. Celebrity was very good and offered the services of their care team to anyone who was in any way affected by the accidents. hats off to them.

my thoughts and prayers are still with those involved.

cheers

Belinda