If you want College Football, NASCAR, choose another line!

aliciag640

I love discussions like this.

I honestly don't understand why people can't see how ridiculous they sound when they start on "my sport is better than your sport" arguments, and roll out all the same old garbage, but it really is very entertaining. I am laughing at you all. :)

On topic, as a big sports fan who watches various sports throughout the year, when you go on holiday you miss some. For me that's always been the way it is.

I love discussions like this.

I honestly don't understand why people can't see how ridiculous they sound when they start on "my sport is better than your sport" arguments, and roll out all the same old garbage, but it really is very entertaining. I am laughing at you all. :)

On topic, as a big sports fan who watches various sports throughout the year, when you go on holiday you miss some. For me that's always been the way it is.

In my youth, I used to ride bulls. Have you ever tried to get the National Finals Rodeo on a cruise ship?

So you really know almost zero about football.

Almost like if I said ice hockey is a bunch of testosterone folks who use something that slides as an excuse to get in legal fights without cops showing up.

I know a lot about football, not so much about professional kickball other than you have to be able to ruin and kick a round ball. Then if you mes sup some guy waves a credit card in your face. 90% (maybe even 95%) of the game is running for kicking the ball the length of the field only to have some guy do the same thing the other way. So little goes on other than anticipation that maybe someone will actually do something exciting if I watch long enough. BTW your fighting comment should be made about baseball. There are far more bench clearing brawls in baseball every than there are in hockey. Besides you have to have several real skills to play hockey. Lets see if you can figure them out on your own. Professional kickball is the lamest game ever and is only "popular" because anyone who had a ball of any type can play it without need for any other equipment. I do not agree with others who say low scoring is part of the problem, some of the best sporting events I ever saw ended a 0-0 tie, but to end a game on penalty kicks is absurd. That is all just dumb luck of the goal keeper guessing right. Might as well draw straws, flip a coin, or have a round of scissor/rock/paper.

I think you are forgetting you are on a ship. They aren't purposely trying to deny you. They show what they are able to show. Yes, all the TVs use the same satellites, so they all get the same sports. That's why O'Sheehan's doesn't have it's own dish hanging above the atrium. :rolleyes: Have you ever noticed that the cabin TVs only have a few channels? It's because it's all they get!

This is not true. Last year we sailed on the day of the NCAA football National Championship game- aired on ESPN. Originally it was not on until enough Alabama and Clemson fans demanded it. Then all the sudden it came on. ESPN was not to be seen the rest of the cruise. They have a satellite and can get the channels. True, it may in fact cost them to have it, but if you do not want to pay the cost, then don't advertise yourself as a sports bar. They are docked in the US (mostly). If you want to claim to be a sports bar in the US you better at least have ESPN. You don't have to carry BTN or SEC network or NHL network. Sure they would be nice, but if you want to claim to be a sport bar at least have ESPN and be sure to have the sports that are being shown on NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox on the TV's. This place did not have that. They usually only had one option and most of the time it was some sport that most of the people were not interested in. If you don't want to show sports, fine, no problem, but don't advertise yourself as a place to come catch the game while you are on your cruise. It will not be on.

I know a lot about football, not so much about professional kickball other than you have to be able to ruin and kick a round ball. Then if you mes sup some guy waves a credit card in your face. 90% (maybe even 95%) of the game is running for kicking the ball the length of the field only to have some guy do the same thing the other way. So little goes on other than anticipation that maybe someone will actually do something exciting if I watch long enough. BTW your fighting comment should be made about baseball. There are far more bench clearing brawls in baseball every than there are in hockey. Besides you have to have several real skills to play hockey. Lets see if you can figure them out on your own. Professional kickball is the lamest game ever and is only "popular" because anyone who had a ball of any type can play it without need for any other equipment. I do not agree with others who say low scoring is part of the problem, some of the best sporting events I ever saw ended a 0-0 tie, but to end a game on penalty kicks is absurd. That is all just dumb luck of the goal keeper guessing right. Might as well draw straws, flip a coin, or have a round of scissor/rock/paper.

So, you confirmed that you are, not only absolutely ignorant about football, but also unable to understand something that you have watched more than once.

You do know that "to be a sports fan" you need something more than "just sit and look at the screen, don't you?

Exactly. The "I didn't get to watch my team" thread always mystifies me. Who cares? You're on vacation. Try something new.

Nothing important going on in sports until Russia 2018 anyway.

LOVE LOVE LOVE your sig. line ;) I wonder how many people ever read them

<snip> I do not agree with others who say low scoring is part of the problem, some of the best sporting events I ever saw ended a 0-0 tie, but to end a game on penalty kicks is absurd. That is all just dumb luck of the goal keeper guessing right. Might as well draw straws, flip a coin, or have a round of scissor/rock/paper.

That might be the dumbest comment you have made in this thread, and that's saying something, hockey guy. What happens in the National Hockey League when the teams are tied at the end of regulation? Hmmm...a few minutes of overtime and then when they are still tied?

Oh yea.....a shootout, i.e...penalty shots.

Yea. You lose. :rolleyes:

Based on your description, it is obvious that you and your group were exhibiting inappropriate behavior that drove the cruise staff to have to "break it up". Probably resulted in sufficient complaints from other cruisers that the cruise staff had to take action. Your own fault.

Such a dumb thing to say if you weren't there

That might be the dumbest comment you have made in this thread, and that's saying something, hockey guy. What happens in the National Hockey League when the teams are tied at the end of regulation? Hmmm...a few minutes of overtime and then when they are still tied?

Oh yea.....a shootout, i.e...penalty shots.

Yea. You lose. :rolleyes:

Never said I was a fan of the current way the NHL does that. I like the old way where a tie was a tie. Most real hockey fans do., Poor ASSumption on your part. You lose badly. However at least in the NHL the penalty shot is something that is not all pour luck where a guy gets to kick a ball into a net that is almost 200 square feet with just a single guy guessing which way he is going to kick. Not only that, it remains that 95% of kickball is guys kicking the ball back and forth form one end of the field to the other.

So, you confirmed that you are, not only absolutely ignorant about football, but also unable to understand something that you have watched more than once.

You do know that "to be a sports fan" you need something more than "just sit and look at the screen, don't you?

Nothing I said showed any ignorance what-so-ever about kickball or anything else. One, I never discussed football, but my team is horrible this year, the Eagles. Boring (non)sport where you have to 1) kick a round ball, and 2) run. Gee no wonder so many people 'enjoy' it. Can some of those guys do some neat tricks with the ball, yep. Does that mean the game is exciting, well I guess if you think watching a freshly painted wall dry just in case a drip forms and runs down the wall. I am NOT a fan of kickball. Lame (non)-sport.

Nothing I said showed any ignorance what-so-ever about kickball or anything else. One, I never discussed football, but my team is horrible this year, the Eagles. Boring (non)sport where you have to 1) kick a round ball, and 2) run. Gee no wonder so many people 'enjoy' it. Can some of those guys do some neat tricks with the ball, yep. Does that mean the game is exciting, well I guess if you think watching a freshly painted wall dry just in case a drip forms and runs down the wall. I am NOT a fan of kickball. Lame (non)-sport.

Ignoring advice about engaging the unarmed in a battle of wits....

Hockey is little more than a third tier sport for short and slow surbanites whose parents have the money for sweaters and ice time. There is little appeal for the game outside North America and Northern Europe.

I guess congratulations should be in order for out-drawing the WNBA, but that is as far as you'll ever get. There is exactly ONE World Game, and you can denigrate it to your hearts content but the reality is you will never have the draw and your players will never make Messi level $.

Please continue to enjoy your Ice Boxing occasionally interrupted with senseless skating in circles.

Edited by Cuervosar

Never said I was a fan of the current way the NHL does that. I like the old way where a tie was a tie. Most real hockey fans do., Poor ASSumption on your part. You lose badly. However at least in the NHL the penalty shot is something that is not all pour luck where a guy gets to kick a ball into a net that is almost 200 square feet with just a single guy guessing which way he is going to kick. Not only that, it remains that 95% of kickball is guys kicking the ball back and forth form one end of the field to the other.

No game that can be settled with a tie is worthy of anyone's attention.

No game that can be settled with a tie is worthy of anyone's attention.

Hey, we could bring cricket into this discussion, for the added entertainment of us amused spectators. :)

I'm sure that could start a few pages of people embarrassing themselves by fighting about the pros and cons of cricket and baseball. That's always one of the best. :)

Edited by KeithJenner

Hey, we could bring cricket into this discussion, for the added entertainment of us amused spectators. :)

I'm sure that could start a few pages of people embarrassing themselves by fighting about the pros and cons of cricket and baseball. That's always one of the best. :)

Cricket is a fine game.

Won't end in a tie, won't be settled with 'penalty shots'.

Here's a thing: Cricket, like baseball, doesn't give a team the option of taking a lead and playing keepaway. The team that isn't scoring MUST present the ball and say 'try to beat us'.

Best of all---Cricket has a position called Silly Middle. You just can't do better than that.

Best of all---Cricket has a position called Silly Middle. You just can't do better than that.

Sorry, but the pedant in me has to just say that it isn't "Silly Middle". There are a number of "silly" fielding positions. You are probably thinking of silly mid-on or silly mid-off.

The term is just an add on to normal fielding positions, which basically says that the fielder is very close to the batsman, which is a fairly silly place to be.

Obviously not as silly as the majority of this thread though. :)

Sorry, but the pedant in me has to just say that it isn't "Silly Middle". There are a number of "silly" fielding positions. You are probably thinking of silly mid-on or silly mid-off.

The term is just an add on to normal fielding positions, which basically says that the fielder is very close to the batsman, which is a fairly silly place to be.

Obviously not as silly as the majority of this thread though. :)

OK. Silly mid-off.

Nothing else has anything close to it for....silliness.

Except maybe calling golf or driving a race car an athletic event.

Which is ...., well, just silly.

I want to see more Curling , less Bowling / cricket . :rolleyes:

Curling would be a good sport to watch while on LSD.

Bowling. The only sport...oop! wait, include darts...where you can drink beer and smoke while you're competing and do it at a high level.

Curling would be a good sport to watch while on LSD.

Bowling. The only sport...oop! wait, include darts...where you can drink beer and smoke while you're competing and do it at a high level.

Fishin !!

Fishing's good for smoking & drinking. :D