Lounges to sleep at night on Norwegian Pearl?

mamasylvia

Okay, this is going to sound like I am making stuff up, but I swear I am not. I can't sleep through the night in a bed. I wake up after 2-5 hours of sleep and need to change position to something sitting-up-like. At home, I have an extremely comfortable recliner in our bedroom. Our first cruise, I rented a recliner (wasn't as comfortable as the one I have at home, but it was better than killing my back staying in bed). But our upcoming Pearl cruise, we will have 4 adults in our cabin, so there won't be room for a recliner.

Are there any other places I could slip to around 2-4 am with comfortable lounges or recliners? Are the heated ceramic lounges in the spa available 24 hours if I buy the spa pass? This is an Alaska cruise in May so I'm thinking outdoors isn't going to work, I'd freeze. I know I can quietly get on my scooter and go somewhere but it would help to have some ideas from those who are familiar with the ship.

Okay, this is going to sound like I am making stuff up, but I swear I am not. I can't sleep through the night in a bed. I wake up after 2-5 hours of sleep and need to change position to something sitting-up-like. At home, I have an extremely comfortable recliner in our bedroom. Our first cruise, I rented a recliner (wasn't as comfortable as the one I have at home, but it was better than killing my back staying in bed). But our upcoming Pearl cruise, we will have 4 adults in our cabin, so there won't be room for a recliner.

Are there any other places I could slip to around 2-4 am with comfortable lounges or recliners? Are the heated ceramic lounges in the spa available 24 hours if I buy the spa pass? This is an Alaska cruise in May so I'm thinking outdoors isn't going to work, I'd freeze. I know I can quietly get on my scooter and go somewhere but it would help to have some ideas from those who are familiar with the ship.

The Spa closes at 10pm -

Perhaps you need to book a second cabin just for you? An inside maybe across the corridor? 4 adults is a lot inside one room? If its feasible then might be worth seeing if you can pick up a deal on an extra cabin.

I have cruised Alaska in late May - and yes, it will be cold out for sure. Beautiful though - but bring the woollies :)

5 hours sleep can be adequate - perhaps catch 40 winks late afternoon in the Spa - then your 5 hours at night. Spa pass is wonderful - If the SPA has floor to ceiling windows then will make for great viewing in Alaska. After a busy port day, nice to come back to a nap in the warmth of the Spa.

The 24 hour diner (O'sheehans or Blue Lagoon) will be open for the wideawakers? If you cant sleep - perhaps keep an easy jogging suit handy to dress easily to go to the 24 hour diner. Grab a cup of tea and a light bite, have a wander around on your scooter - and then back to bed.

And ask your cabin steward for a series of pillows which you can prop up in the bed to create "your recliner" - Its easy enough to do- pillows for the upper back and neck, and pillows under the knees

I get it - Have had spinal surgery (thank God!) and understand how laying in one position can be painful after a few hours.

Think about taking with you one of those "^" shaped pillows - one of those combined with two ordinary pillows will be your upper back rest, and two pillows under your knees for your lower legs.

On another note - before you even go to sleep try sleeping on your side, well supported neck, and place a fairly large pillow between your knees. This will put your spine in a flat line position - and ease for further comfort.

Some acupuncture at sea might do you the world of good too - Ships tend to have some of the most fantastic Chinese therapists - watch out for specials.

Edited by Blondie008

Lounges and recliners? Not sure if you are going to find any inside the ship, but here's some places to scope out when you board.

The Library on deck 12 FWD. Sure to have some couches, or at least two chars which could allow a feet up position.

Bliss Night Club 7 AFT. I don't know how this one looks, but I have seen some which had couches and even "bed type" lounges. Assuming of course that the party is not still going on.

Atrium/Java Cafe area 7 MID. Probably some comfortable padded chairs which could be pushed together.

Be aware some of these areas may be invaded by cleaning crews in the wee hours, so I don't know how restful they might be.

And I do believe you. At home I often wake after 4 or 5 hours, and if I remain in bed it is only to toss and turn. If I simply go to the living room couch however, I instantly fall asleep again.

Edited by punkincc

I understand your pain. I sleep on an infinity chair at home full time. On cruises or hotels I request extra pillows and make the best of things.

Thanks for the understanding comments and suggestions. A second cabin isn't financially feasible. I routinely sleep on my side in bed - trying to sleep on my back I only manage 10-15 minute sleep spurts, and forget trying to sleep on my front. Propping up with pillows is my fallback plan when I have to stay in hotel rooms (and on my first cruise) but it never worked very well - more 10-15 minute sleep spurts. I have several triangular pillows, but they never worked well either and I have no idea how I could fit one into a suitcase and still have room for clothes. The 24-hour diner is an idea, not ideal but worth trying. I'll also check out the suggested areas for comfortable lounges.

Yes, Spinnaker on 13 FWD might be the perfect solution. I was thinking they had removed the forward lounge on the Pearl to make room for more suites, but it's still there!

Yes, that Spinnaker Lounge would probably be just perfect for you, except perhaps for cleaning crew.

It was the Dawn (and one other) where this section was renovated into Suites.

On our first NCL cruise, on the Dawn, we had one of those outside DOS, with the same amazing view as the front corner of the Spinnaker Lounge - because that's what it used to be.

We heard/read all sorts of complaints about passengers who missed that lounge, but we didn't understand.

THEN... we were on the Pearl, and stopped by to see the Spinnaker Lounge, and we definitely understand why it is dearly missed.

I would hope that because this ship goes to Alaska that NCL would NEVER consider removing that lounge and view!

Same for the Jewel.

(And ditto for the Sun, although that isn't the same ship design. But it has a similar lounge forward.)

I was in a sleep deprived dilemna on the Jewel. My mom got bronchitis and I went in search. I found those similar spinnaker chairs. Lifesaver.

I Hope it works out for you. I have chronic knee pain. I sometimes wake up and have to shift. Lately it has not been to bad. But in a small way I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My mother can't sleep laying down either. She asked for a lounge chair and they brought one to her cabin and made it up like it was a bed. Also they sell wedges she sometimes brings.

You may consider trying something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051ZWGJW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cannot sleep lying down, so I have this as a back up for when I have to sleep in a bed. I usually put a blanket over it and/or pillows, but I find it better than just pillows. The ratings are "middle of the road", but I've used mine for two years now.