MSC Havana, Jamaica, Grand Caymans, Mexico

Funny65

We want to do the Dunn River Falls, bobsled, and zip line in Jamaica. I think we'll do the stingray tour that stops at the yacht club afterward while in Grand Cayman, and we are absolutely going to see one of the Mayan ruins while in Mexico. Now I have to see if I can find better rates for these tours online rather than through MSC, because I also like to find great deals! I've heard about a website that specializes in shore excursion deals, but I can't remember what it is. I'm hoping Google will help me find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

Just come back from this cruise. There were quite a few US citizens on board and a few flights to Fort Laurderdale. We are Brits and have always had Cuba as a vacation destination so did not expect anything other than a usual Caribbean destination.

We cruise a lot but noticed a few different things in Cuba. We NEVER buy the ships transfers, we would rather do our own thing, I got really stressed getting a taxi to the port, no 'proper' queues, a free for all, there are 2 money exchanges at the airport with HUGE queues, but the port building had 2 very calm small queued booths. The taxis did take Euros, 35 to the port from the airport. They probably will take US dollars as well. Get an MSC transfer if you do not like argy-bargy in the taxi queue. I got cheeky and stood in front of a taxi which had to brake, that was after an hour or so, Phweeew. Taxis picking up 1 or 2 fares waited for a 3rd or fourth to join them.

Check in was fine, soon got to get on the ship but the Cuban Border security booths were really slow. Some booths looked empty but there were officers in them, they just did not want to tell you they were open.

The ship was great, it was our 4th time on Opera,she is a beautiful ship although the cabins are smaller than any other ship we have sailed on apart from P and O. The NYE party was wonderful as were all the staff, especially the Animation team. We had a little issue with some fellow guests lighting up their 'Cuban' cigars on the non smoking side of the ship. A quick word in their ears sorted it. It is a shame the staff onboard are not allowed to tell them off.

We thought the Opera had a livlier ambience than the other sailings on her.

Duty Free, shops and slots were open the whole time in Havana, a real 1st for us in port. Cuba must have different rules. Cuba also requests you to have a visa for re-entry, the visa you had to enter at first has gone. Another 30 dollars.

Food was OK ish, had better, but our waiters and service were fab.

When you disembark they will ask various 'colours' to stand away from the doors. That is a red flag to a bull. The colours they asked to stand away will be banked up along the exit doors and on the landings, not a pretty sight. They are blocking every exit because they want to be off first. You cannot even get to a toilet without hitting someone out of the way. I do not mind any of that but what pees me off is that MSC will not tell a customer off. We were told no food to go ashore in Cuba, the 2 US citizens in front of us decided to take a few messenger bags of pizza off with them. WHATS UP X.Are you stupid as well as fat. You silly folk held us up for an hourrrr. We nearly mised our flight because you are studidly greedy. Sorry just so angry at the inanity of some folk.

The airport. Very Basic. Please take tissues in your purses ladies. I was offered toilet paper by a lady before and after border control. She wanted a few US dollars for a wrap of toilet paper. She had taken all the toilet rolls out and switched off the hand driers. I do not mind giving but I have paid for my flight and expect certain basic facilities as a norm.

Loved Cuba and the people, hope Havana does not turn into another Globalised Macdonald and Starbucks city.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Just come back from this cruise. There were quite a few US citizens on board and a few flights to Fort Laurderdale. We are Brits and have always had Cuba as a vacation destination so did not expect anything other than a usual Caribbean destination.

We cruise a lot but noticed a few different things in Cuba. We NEVER buy the ships transfers, we would rather do our own thing, I got really stressed getting a taxi to the port, no 'proper' queues, a free for all, there are 2 money exchanges at the airport with HUGE queues, but the port building had 2 very calm small queued booths. The taxis did take Euros, 35 to the port from the airport. They probably will take US dollars as well. Get an MSC transfer if you do not like argy-bargy in the taxi queue. I got cheeky and stood in front of a taxi which had to brake, that was after an hour or so, Phweeew. Taxis picking up 1 or 2 fares waited for a 3rd or fourth to join them.

Check in was fine, soon got to get on the ship but the Cuban Border security booths were really slow. Some booths looked empty but there were officers in them, they just did not want to tell you they were open.

The ship was great, it was our 4th time on Opera,she is a beautiful ship although the cabins are smaller than any other ship we have sailed on apart from P and O. The NYE party was wonderful as were all the staff, especially the Animation team. We had a little issue with some fellow guests lighting up their 'Cuban' cigars on the non smoking side of the ship. A quick word in their ears sorted it. It is a shame the staff onboard are not allowed to tell them off.

We thought the Opera had a livlier ambience than the other sailings on her.

Duty Free, shops and slots were open the whole time in Havana, a real 1st for us in port. Cuba must have different rules. Cuba also requests you to have a visa for re-entry, the visa you had to enter at first has gone. Another 30 dollars.

Food was OK ish, had better, but our waiters and service were fab.

When you disembark they will ask various 'colours' to stand away from the doors. That is a red flag to a bull. The colours they asked to stand away will be banked up along the exit doors and on the landings, not a pretty sight. They are blocking every exit because they want to be off first. You cannot even get to a toilet without hitting someone out of the way. I do not mind any of that but what pees me off is that MSC will not tell a customer off. We were told no food to go ashore in Cuba, the 2 US citizens in front of us decided to take a few messenger bags of pizza off with them. WHATS UP X.Are you stupid as well as fat. You silly folk held us up for an hourrrr. We nearly mised our flight because you are studidly greedy. Sorry just so angry at the inanity of some folk.

The airport. Very Basic. Please take tissues in your purses ladies. I was offered toilet paper by a lady before and after border control. She wanted a few US dollars for a wrap of toilet paper. She had taken all the toilet rolls out and switched off the hand driers. I do not mind giving but I have paid for my flight and expect certain basic facilities as a norm.

Loved Cuba and the people, hope Havana does not turn into another Globalised Macdonald and Starbucks city.

The burning question is if you had to book an excursion through MSC to get off the boat in Cuba or not? MSC says you do and others say you don't, what is the answer?

The burning question is if you had to book an excursion through MSC to get off the boat in Cuba or not? MSC says you do and others say you don't, what is the answer?

I imagine it will depend on your nationality. It is only US citizens that have any travel restrictions pertaining to Cuba. Others can fully enjoy the country, the All Inclusive resorts, etc. The OP said that they were Brits. Brits have no travel restrictions in Cuba. Looking at other boards for other cruises to Havana, it seems like for the first few cruises, people ARE required to have excursions booked, but then as time passes, things get more relaxed.

Everybody needs a Tarjeta Turistica, just some nationalities get it for free. On our cruise a couple of weeks before MSC delivered the tarjetas to the cabin two days before arriving Havana and deducted the costs from our accounts. If you don´t want to go off the boat you have to return the tarjetas to the reception desk, then you will get the costs also off your account.

Everybody needs a Tarjeta Turistica, just some nationalities get it for free. On our cruise a couple of weeks before MSC delivered the tarjetas to the cabin two days before arriving Havana and deducted the costs from our accounts. If you don´t want to go off the boat you have to return the tarjetas to the reception desk, then you will get the costs also off your account.

Thank you! you are the first one to answer this who has recently been on the cruise! Were the Tarjetas Visas? And what did they cost? Did MSC bug you about booking an excursion because I would rather do one through a third party.