Star azipod propulsion problem

Circusboy354

Similar to what some others from the 22nd sailing have posted, after calling NCL, I tweeted on their page. I recieved a prompt response and asked follow up questions. They said they are working through itinerary responses based on port availability. Once the revisions are confirmed, they will notify passengers. They also confirmed a 100% refund and 25% off a future cruise if you don't sail, and a 50% refund and. 50% off a future cruise if you do sail.

I know this is still not official and is subject to change, but I thought I'd share.

Tempting to book this cruise just to get the discount!

I think the best itinerary we can hope for (aside from the original itinerary) would be the following:

Dec 22 - Hong Kong

Dec 23 - Hong Kong

Dec 24 - Hong Kong (depart morning or aft)

Dec 25 - At Sea

Dec 26 - Halong/Hanoi

Dec 27 - At Sea

Dec 28 - Da Nang (morning)

Dec 29 - At Sea

Dec 30 - At Sea

Dec 31 - Phu My (Ho Chi Minh)

Jan 1 - At Sea

Jan 2- Sihanoukville (short stop)

Jan 3 - Koh Samui

Jan 4 - At Sea

Jan 5 - Singapore

The MS Europa is also in port for the Dec 28 and Dec 31 stops, so that may cause an issue though. Likely those two port stops could be substituted for Nha Trang on Dec 29 or 30. Not a whole lot of other options unless the Star heads straight for Da Nang out of port skipping Halong/Hanoi.

Edited by rowdypfeifer

I think the best itinerary we can hope for (aside from the original itinerary) would be the following:

Dec 22 - Hong Kong

Dec 23 - Hong Kong

Dec 24 - Hong Kong (depart morning or aft)

Dec 25 - At Sea

Dec 26 - Halong/Hanoi

Dec 27 - At Sea

Dec 28 - Da Nang (morning)

Dec 29 - At Sea

Dec 30 - At Sea

Dec 31 - Phu My (Ho Chi Minh)

Jan 1 - At Sea

Jan 2- Sihanoukville (short stop)

Jan 3 - Koh Samui

Jan 4 - At Sea

Jan 5 - Singapore

The MS Europa is also in port for the Dec 28 and Dec 31 stops, so that may cause an issue though. Likely those two port stops could be substituted for Nha Trang on Dec 29 or 30. Not a whole lot of other options unless the Star heads straight for Da Nang out of port skipping Halong/Hanoi.

By my figuring, its 45 hours from Koh Samui to Singapore, so you could take one day out between Da Nang and Phu My (that's only about 1.5 days at 18 knots) and put that between Koh Samui and Singapore.

By my figuring, its 45 hours from Koh Samui to Singapore, so you could take one day out between Da Nang and Phu My (that's only about 1.5 days at 18 knots) and put that between Koh Samui and Singapore.

saigon will probably be removed also

It's funny they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they release a revised itinerary, give people the option to cancel and then get it fixed they will be killed for being pre mature and if they don't say anything Hoping it will be fixed and it isn't then they are killed for not being forthcoming. I agree something from the like we are working on it and hope to have it resolved before the next sailing which by the way I am on would be nice to hear from them.

That's the whole point. They know what the problem is. If it involves the azipods themselves it will not be resolved by your cruise or any thereafter until they get the ship out of water. Azipod internals cannot be repaired by divers. If it doesn't involve the internals then say what it is.

No damned if you do or damned if you don't. There is only one answer--what is wrong. Be straight and disclose it and how and where it will be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

saigon will probably be removed also

I hope they will leave some ports ! We booked this cruise for the 22nd as the ship specifically, went to Ha long bay, Ho Chi Minh and Bangkok , this is so disappointing. The thought of having two weeks at sea with only a few ports is not appealing! Especially as there is likely to be many kids on board as it's the Xmas holidays !

We have a hotel booked for Hong Kong and Singapore before and after the cruise so we have no other option but to do the cruise as other flights and hotels in between will be too expensive.

My theory is a dry dock will occur between the cruise going out on the 22nd Dec and the 5th Jan. Yesterday for the first time a new 7 day itinerary was added. Bangkok to Hong Kong leaving 9th Jan. Too much of a coincidence. Where? Unsure if there's dry dock facilities in Bangkok or whether it will be done in Singapore. If Bangkok maybe both the next two cruises will be shortened to allow for time in dry dock. This is just me guessing.

My theory is a dry dock will occur between the cruise going out on the 22nd Dec and the 5th Jan. Yesterday for the first time a new 7 day itinerary was added. Bangkok to Hong Kong leaving 9th Jan. Too much of a coincidence. Where? Unsure if there's dry dock facilities in Bangkok or whether it will be done in Singapore. If Bangkok maybe both the next two cruises will be shortened to allow for time in dry dock. This is just me guessing.

Norwegian also has listed a new 4 day itinerary before that new 7 day.

I hope they will leave some ports ! We booked this cruise for the 22nd as the ship specifically, went to Ha long bay, Ho Chi Minh and Bangkok , this is so disappointing. The thought of having two weeks at sea with only a few ports is not appealing! Especially as there is likely to be many kids on board as it's the Xmas holidays !

We have a hotel booked for Hong Kong and Singapore before and after the cruise so we have no other option but to do the cruise as other flights and hotels in between will be too expensive.

I think it's unlikely you'll go to Bangkok, it was explained that due to it's location it made more sense to go straight to Vietnam. For our sailing we're passing Saigon and going straight to Nha Trang, this is to allow enough time to reach our next port - Chan May. As your sailing is 14 days you might make Saigon but i doubt Bangkok.

Don't read too much into the 7 day from Bangkok. It's been about for a week or more from time to time along with a 4 day from Singapore - Bangkok. I think they've been selling it into different markets, I met someone on this sailing a few days ago who was meant to disembark in Bangkok, so I think they may have been selling segments on this sailing pretty late on to fill the ship.

still no word from Ncl about a revised itinerary for the our sailing on the 22nd, they have confirmed it will be revised but wont say what. We are headed to the airport in a bit on the way to Hong Kong. it would be nice to know what the changes are so we can adjust our plans. This is crazy.

On the good side, NCL did confirm (to me, a few moments ago via Twitter) that the Star would embark out of Hong Kong on the 22nd and arrive in Singapore on January 5th. That may not be much to go on while you are flying but know this: there are a number of others who feel your pain! Hopefully see you soon.

RGLcruise

Sent from my iPad using Forums

still no word from Ncl about a revised itinerary for the our sailing on the 22nd, they have confirmed it will be revised but wont say what. We are headed to the airport in a bit on the way to Hong Kong. it would be nice to know what the changes are so we can adjust our plans. This is crazy.

Bon Voyage.

Have fun & Safe Travel's. :)

On the good side, NCL did confirm (to me, a few moments ago via Twitter) that the Star would embark out of Hong Kong on the 22nd and arrive in Singapore on January 5th. That may not be much to go on while you are flying but know this: there are a number of others who feel your pain! Hopefully see you soon.

RGLcruise

Thanks for sharing your updates. I don't suppose you could ask them (I have never used Twitter) if they are also guaranteeing the departure from Singapore in the 5th? Or are they only planning up to that arrival?

Cheers

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

My Twitter comment this morning, (12-15-2016), to NCL; I am cruising on the NCL Star, leaving Sydney Australia on Feb 06, 2016 to Auckland, New Zealand on Feb 18th 2016. Given the Azipod difficulty that the Star is currently experiencing; 1) Will it be fixed by Feb 06th? 2) If not what will the itinerary change to on that cruise??? I do not want to travel 20 hours on a flight one way and sit on a boat stranded at sea...

Their Reply; Hi. We expect to have the ship repaired by then. If not, we'll notify you via phone or email.

Doesnt sound very promising if they don't know 50+ day's out!!!

Thanks for sharing your updates. I don't suppose you could ask them (I have never used Twitter) if they are also guaranteeing the departure from Singapore in the 5th? Or are they only planning up to that arrival?

Cheers

Under other circumstances I would be glad to ask a question for you on Twitter. However, this is a very difficult time, not just for us (cruisers) but I imagine also for a number of people within NCL.

They did let me know a few minutes ago that there would be a revised itinerary for our December 22nd cruise. I asked them if it was alright to share this information with our friends (Cruise Critic) and they said, 'sure'. They also said that they would be contacting us with the revised itinerary as soon as they could via phone or email.

RGLcruise

Under other circumstances I would be glad to ask a question for you on Twitter. However, this is a very difficult time, not just for us (cruisers) but I imagine also for a number of people within NCL.

They did let me know a few minutes ago that there would be a revised itinerary for our December 22nd cruise. I asked them if it was alright to share this information with our friends (Cruise Critic) and they said, 'sure'. They also said that they would be contacting us with the revised itinerary as soon as they could via phone or email.

RGLcruise

No problems, completely understand. Again thanks for the updates.

Looks like it is an electrical problem. From the letter it appears they knew problem won't be solved in Singapore ("speed will be restricted"). Hopefully they found the problems, ordered parts to arrive in HK, and will fix it during the 2 day at dock.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/

scroll down to this one:

NCL's Norwegian Star Stuck in Singapore

Posted on December 12, 2016 by Jim Walker

My Twitter comment this morning, (12-15-2016), to NCL; I am cruising on the NCL Star, leaving Sydney Australia on Feb 06, 2016 to Auckland, New Zealand on Feb 18th 2016. Given the Azipod difficulty that the Star is currently experiencing; 1) Will it be fixed by Feb 06th? 2) If not what will the itinerary change to on that cruise??? I do not want to travel 20 hours on a flight one way and sit on a boat stranded at sea...

Their Reply; Hi. We expect to have the ship repaired by then. If not, we'll notify you via phone or email.

We are on the same cruise. Thanks for the info. I hope NCL is just being very cautious in its predictions.

Looks like it is an electrical problem. From the letter it appears they knew problem won't be solved in Singapore ("speed will be restricted"). Hopefully they found the problems, ordered parts to arrive in HK, and will fix it during the 2 day at dock.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/

scroll down to this one:

NCL's Norwegian Star Stuck in Singapore

Posted on December 12, 2016 by Jim Walker

First mention of an "engine being down". This may or may not have had an effect on the itinerary. Getting technical information from non-technical crew is always difficult to "translate", as most even if friendly with the engineering staff don't understand what they are being told.

With 4 diesel generators, one will need to be "out of service" for routine maintenance at frequent intervals. This limits the power available to the azipods (propulsion is the largest user of power onboard), but typically maintenance is scheduled around the itinerary, as 3 generators can get 20 knots out of the ship, that last entire engine needed for the last couple of knots. The engine could even have been down during the previous cruises that took the ship to Singapore, for an extended overhaul (2-3 weeks), and no one knew it as the itinerary was designed with this in mind. So, I'm discounting that the diesel engine was a causative factor in changing the itinerary, it just coincided with the azipod problem.

Thanks for checking on this. We too are on this sailing, but we leave 11 days early to explore Great Barrier Reef, Sydney and a few other sights before our sailing. Hope they get this solved soon.

I received an official email (from NCL corporate) regarding a revised itinerary for the December 22 sailing.

Depart Hong Kong as scheduled

Overnight in Da Nang (subject to change)

Overnight in Phu My

One full day in Bangkok

Arrive in Singapore on Jan 4 8pm.

Taiwan, Ha Long Bay, Sihanoukville and Ko Samui ports have been cancelled.

I am just curious whether the problem with really with the Azipod or with the diesel engines that generate power to the electric motors of the Azipods, which drive the propellers. The Star is much like a Chevy volt hybrid car - the gas/(diesel) engine runs a generator for the electric motor that drives the wheels, or in the case of a ship, the propellor.

The Star has 2 Azipods and 4 diesel engines, according to Wikipedia. Can someone on the Star go to the stern of the ship and see if they think both propellers are turning? (I don't if you really can tell, but it is worth a try). If it is clear both are operating, then the problem is not with the Azipods.

I was on the June Baltic cruise with the Star when it departed Stockholm late because of a technical problem. As I recall, the problem was with for one of the diesel engines and I thought they said it was a electronic module that was bad. This is something I think can be fixed or replaced while the ship is still in the water.

If the problem is not with the Azipod, then they don't need to drydock. Drydocking will have a profound effect on the itinerary. I don't know how they would accommodate passengers going off and on the ship while drydocked.

I will be boarding the NCL Star Dec. 22 in HK. Will bring a lot books to read.