Quick Specialty Dining Question

Mississippi1

I'm in the early planning stages of deciding which restaurants and entertainment to book when I get to the 90-day mark for our Breakaway cruise. On one night, we are going to try to do specialty dining and a show. Which would be the shortest dining option (time-wise), Cagney's or Moderno?

I'm in the early planning stages of deciding which restaurants and entertainment to book when I get to the 90-day mark for our Breakaway cruise. On one night, we are going to try to do specialty dining and a show. Which would be the shortest dining option (time-wise), Cagney's or Moderno?

I think they would be close to the same time wise. I was very happy with the serving time in Cagneys last month. We went twice and it never took more than maybe an hour. Having said that, we are pretty quick eaters and I think the servers adjust to your style.

With Moderno, you kind of set the pace yourself. For example, if you spend an hour munching on salad bar stuff before saying "yes" to the meat that is constantly passing by, it will take longer.

We've always gotten out of specialties in about 90 minutes or less when we tell the server we have a show to attend. They will speed it up. Skipping dessert helps a lot, too. We've noticed that any time we want dessert, it seems to add about 45 minutes to time spent in a restaurant. That's why we very, very rarely eat any.

Just be aware that the system blocks out a certain period of time when you reserve a restaurant. You wouldn't, for example be able to book a restaurant at 7.30 and then a show at 9.00 (it may be possible if you phone).

I don't know the amount of time which is blocked, and I'm sure someone who has done it will be able to confirm, but that may effect your planning.

I think that when you are onboard that restriction doesn't apply, and you may be able to get round it by calling.

I would think Cagneys. Moderno you have to wait for the different meats to come around, whereas Cagneys has set plates. Whichever you choose, I would suggest an earlier sitting so you're not rushed. On several occasions we did a 530-6pm seating with the 930 show and we had plenty of time to get a drink, and find good seats for the show, without having to rush through any of the courses of dinner. You could also mention to the waiter that you have a show to go to, and you want suggestions on plates that wouldn't take too long to make. That way they'll also be aware to close out your tab as soon as you're ready. If you want a drink for the show, you could order it at the restaurant and bring it with you so you don't need to stop at another bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Moderno is definitely the fastest dinner option. I'm not sure why there would be a wait for meats to come around. I saw it go by constantly while eating the salad bar. The only annoying part is they won't stop even if you have your green card turned up until the waiter brings you the dinner plates, so make sure to ask for those right away if you are in a hurry.