Excursion Help for first time cruise on PG!

OnWeGo

Just booked our first PG cruise! It will be the 7 day Tahiti & Society Islands in Sept. 2017. Naturally I have turned to this forum to research and get ideas and help. I'm working on lining up our excursions and plan to do most independently. We do not want to rent a car and explore on our own. We are a group of 4 active adults (50's). Here is what we planned so far (but flexible to consider other ideas!):

Huahine - We have booked Mark's Combo Tour

Taha'a - Looks like the popular thing to do is head over to Motu Mahana and the beach BBQ.

Bora Bora - Have 2 full days here. First day we're thinking about the lagoon, snorkeling and 4X4 tour with Maohi Nui. Day 2 we will do the 2 hr. jet ski tour in the morning with Moana Adventure.

Moorea - Another 2 days here as well. First day we plan to do the ATV Moorea Tour.

Questions:

Any thoughts on what we can do for the afternoon on Bora Bora after jet ski tour (we'll be done around noon). Would this island be a good place for some souvenir shopping? Do most people go on shore the evening we are in Bora Bora? Has anyone done the sunset cruise offered by PG?

Same questions for Moorea. We'll have time in the afternoon on the first day and nothing planned yet for 2nd day. Any suggestions? Would Moorea be a better place to shop? Should we consider going on shore the evening we are there?

Where are the best places to look for souvenirs such as black pearls, Tifaifai quilts and of course the must have t-shirts!

I know...lots of questions but would welcome any thoughts, suggestions and advice! Thanks!

OnweGo-

I'm on the same cruise itinerary sailing this January... I was wondering the same!

Huahine-Day pass to Hotel Lapita

Ta'ha- Motu

Bora Bora- Lagoon Excursion w/Maohi Nui (rays and sharks)

Moorea- ATV Tour

Has anyone done a Day Pass to a resort in Bora Bora or Moorea? I work in the travel industry, and would love to see some OWB.. What about Bloody Mary's- has anyone visited?

Renting the car sounds fun-- what did you see/do?

WE found that very few people were off the ship in the evening at Bora Bora and Moorea. On Bora Bora you can go to the PG motu after your jet ski. If you want to see the lagoon vs. jet ski then I recommend the private snorkel excursion Pure Snorkeling which also circumnavigates the lagoon.

There is some shopping at the pier at Bora Bora but in all honesty 1 hour max is all it takes to look around.

On Moorea consider renting a car for the day. You can easily go up to the outlook, drive around the entire island, and stop at many shops (many more options than on Bora Bora) in about 4-5 hours. If you want to snorkel then start the morning at the lagoonararium and then tour the island.

Agreed, afternoon on Bora Bora head over to the private motu, breathtaking views, the classic vantage point for all the marketing pictures you see of the mountain.

On Tahaa many people do the drift snorkel in the morning offered by the ship and the excursion drops you off at Motu Mahana afterwords.

i-ZZHWp2j-L.jpg

On you tour in Moorea you will drive up to the Belevedre and stop at the AG school on the way up, enjoy their ice cream, pineapple is one of my favorites.

Day 2 on Moorea I agree that a rental car is a good thing to do. I know you said you didn't want to rent a car but we are stressing that it is a good thing. Lagoon-aquarium is a good choice to spend part of your day. They do have a changing area. I would stop and shop along the way. The bakery in the main community makes some wonderful French goodies. Walk on the long beach next to the Sofitel. Visit Les Tipaniers for a refreshment stop and enjoy the view. Drive around the south side of the island, beautiful views of the backside of the mountains and some nice old churches.

As far as a day at the beach and view an OWB you could do so on Bora Bora. The ships excursion for the Thalasso Resort is a good choice. Beautiful setting and views, lunch is provided.

i-GKDnxmq-L.jpg

Best shopping for souvenirs will be back in Tahiti at the Marche, easy walk from the ship, a good way to spend a few hours after breakfast on your last say and before you get off the ship.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Dr. Poole's boat tours on Moorea are great fun. He is a committed marine biologist, so you're supporting his good work. We've seen humpback whales, spinner dolphins, etc. Of course, what you see varies from trip to trip and also on the time of year. We've been with him 3 or maybe 4 times.

Once none of the wildlife were feeling cooperative, and we ended up cruising around the whole island. That all by itself was worth it: as you will discover the island is spectacularly beautiful.

Also, if you're physical fit, Mark Eddoes' walking tour on Moorea is reported to be spectacular, although I've never done it. He is a practicing archaeologist, so may or not be available. Similarly, he is sometimes on the PG itself giving lectures: if he will be there for your cruise be sure not to miss a single talk.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

Visit Les Tipaniers for a refreshment stop and enjoy the view.

Our last PG cruise included a few days pre-cruise at Les Tip. Lovely small hotel. The small resto on the water for lunch is indeed an excellent choice, and the bigger one near the road an excellent choice for dinner.

Close by, we also enjoyed lunch at Snack Mahana.

This is why I love doing my reasearch on this site! So much great advice! All sound great!

I'm now thinking we should consider getting a car on Moorea. But do so on first day so we don't have a huge time constraint on getting back to ship.

I'm assuming we will need to have an international license? How much would we be looking at cost wise for a day rental? Are there plenty of rental company options.

Afternoon on motu in Bora Bora sounds perfect!

This is why I love doing my reasearch on this site! So much great advice! All sound great!

I'm now thinking we should consider getting a car on Moorea. But do so on first day so we don't have a huge time constraint on getting back to ship.

I'm assuming we will need to have an international license? How much would we be looking at cost wise for a day rental? Are there plenty of rental company options.

Afternoon on motu in Bora Bora sounds perfect!

No international license needed.

If you book the car for 24 hours and there is a place for you to leave the car close to the tender location. Or ........ you can do 8 hours and return the same day.

Try Pacificar/Avis, figure $110 USD for 24 hours for a small car with A/C and auto

https://www.avis-tahiti.com/en/

I see that there are two possibilities of where we could dock in Moorea. Will Avis meet us at dock and take us to get our car? I see on their website they have pickup/drop off at Vaiare Ferry Dock. I take it we should purchase the SCDW Insurance?

Unfortunately to get a true tifaifai you need to go to the Cook Islands. That is where I got mine. It's 8 feet by 8 feet. It hangs in my quilt room. [ATTACH]400159[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I saw them in Tahiti when I went for Heiva. However Cook prices are likely better.

I see that there are two possibilities of where we could dock in Moorea. Will Avis meet us at dock and take us to get our car? I see on their website they have pickup/drop off at Vaiare Ferry Dock. I take it we should purchase the SCDW Insurance?

A few ways ....

Avis will shuttle you to their main office at the ferry to PU car, you will be shuttled back. They used to have the cars at the tender drop off no matter which bay the ship anchors at but about 2 years ago they stopped and started the shuttle.

If the ship anchors in Cooks you can walk down to the Club Bali Hai and PU/drop off a car there.

You may wish to contact the rental company Pacificar by email and ask if they still shuttle or have they returned to the delivering of the cars at the tender drop off location., things do change from time to time.

Buy the insurance ...

Where are the best places to look for souvenirs such as black pearls ...

I've not responded to this since my information may be dated. But since nobody else has jumped in, we found that there are a few good quality black pearl shops on Moorea. I would hesitate to buy pearls from any other place where you will be on this cruise. But, it has been a few years since I've been in a pearl-buying frenzy, so perhaps others have more up-to-date information.

Regarding Pearls it depends on what you want. A small pearl as a souvenir can be purchased anywhere.

If you are looking for a statement piece or a full strand I would recommend

Robert Wan for his unique designs

Tahia for her exquisite pieces

Island Fashion on Moorea for his advice and soft sell approach.

Check out these websites in advance,

I am sure others have their favourite shops.

You can also buy on board the ship, on Motu Mahana etc.

Pearls come in all shapes, sizes, quality and color. They can very greatly.

For souvenirs to giveaway you can find everywhere. A cheap one that looks fine from afar will be in the $26 - $75 range I'm talking about a raw pearl you can buy, take home and mount a stud for a earring. My better half enjoys going to this place as they are reasonable and will drill a mount hole if you ask, then you buy the mounting studs on-line and finish the jewelry yourself at home. You can pay less at little vendor places but you get what you pay for. For a decent looking pearly and you don't want to spend a bundle this is a good choice, located on Tahiti, a few blocks from the cruise ship marina, they have 3 stores all within walking distance.

i-CbkRCdC-L.jpg

If your looking to buy some finished jewelry I recommend 2 places though I assume there are other great places but I personally know these 2 to be honest and fair plus they do beautiful work and have won many awards, both a certified gemologist and grew up in the states, came to the islands and married local Polynesians. Both places are on the island of Moorea. Eimeo is located on the street going up to the Juice Factory. Eva is in the main town.

i-WqzHq5g-L.jpg

i-QBvD87n-L.jpg

For high end pearls I would concur to buy at Robert Wan or purchase on the Paul Gauguin which has some beautiful jewelry. As they say you often get what you pay for and if you want the very best you need to purchase from the very best.

There is good souvenir-grade shopping in Bora Bora, near the dock. But there are also some great pearl shops in town, and one shop at least that has all kinds of beautiful high-end jewellery.

When we were buying a pearl, which was many years ago now, it was on Moorea, at Tahia Collins. There are other vendors in the same area of Le Petit Village.

Be wary of some of the shell jewellery. I have bought beautiful black mother of pearl pieces in the past, but last time, in 2014, I bought a piece where the "black" turned out to be a veneer, one that had regular shell under it, and the veneer didn't last.

There is good souvenir-grade shopping in Bora Bora, near the dock. But there are also some great pearl shops in town, and one shop at least that has all kinds of beautiful high-end jewellery.

When we were buying a pearl, which was many years ago now, it was on Moorea, at Tahia Collins. There are other vendors in the same area of Le Petit Village.

Be wary of some of the shell jewellery. I have bought beautiful black mother of pearl pieces in the past, but last time, in 2014, I bought a piece where the "black" turned out to be a veneer, one that had regular shell under it, and the veneer didn't last.

Was this on a Motu Mahana? Anything I bought there has been fabulous.

Thank you for the tips on Pearls! I will add these to my notes. Since it looks like we will be renting a car in Moorea (thanks to the advice I got here) we will be able to check out both places.

In a previous post on this thread drift snorkeling in Taha'a was mentioned. I read about this excursion on PG website and they say it is only recommended for strong experienced snorkelers. A couple of us in our group are pretty strong swimmers but not too experienced at snorkeling (only have done on various cruise excursions). Has anyone else done this? Is this something one should not consider unless they are a very seasoned snorkeler and strong swimmer? Didn’t know if they are being overly cautious…. It does look amazing from Tahitianbigkahuna's picture!

Dr. Poole's boat tours on Moorea are great fun. He is a committed marine biologist, so you're supporting his good work. We've seen humpback whales, spinner dolphins, etc. Of course, what you see varies from trip to trip and also on the time of year. We've been with him 3 or maybe 4 times.

Once none of the wildlife were feeling cooperative, and we ended up cruising around the whole island. That all by itself was worth it: as you will discover the island is spectacularly beautiful.......................

We agree!

We saw two whales up close and several spinner dolphins on our Dr Poole excursion in August. We highly recommend this excursion IF it is whale viewing season.

I've done the drift snorkel many times, probably have made more than 12 passes.

I'm a decent swimmer and a seasoned snorkeler. If you feel you can maneuver yourself while in a 5 mile per hour current you will be OK. You really don't swim a whole bunch, you do however need to feel confident in your ability to stay lined up in the current and can steer yourself left and right a bit to stay straight in the current. It's when you lose control in steering that you might get scraped up a bit.

A fun excursion for sure ... I have some video of my fun last year, I'll try and put something together to share, give me some time.

FYI, the picture was taken from water level in the area at the end of the drift snorkel. Yes it looks like that, just beautiful. I say that because my better half has never done the drift so to her ability to maneuver but she loves it there ... just walks around the finish area and enjoys the fish and colors. So even for the person who doesn't want to chance it you can still enjoy this excursion.

We bought an 18" strand of black pearls from Ron Hall/Island Fashion black pearls. The experience was fantastic, no pressure. It's not a fancy place, but when you go to one of those, you pay for the high end decor. My pearls have been appraised twice by two different appraisers in two different states who had no idea what we paid for them. In both cases, they were valued at over four times what we paid for them. It is an easy walk from the dock in Moorea.

Ron has pearls in all qualities and price points. One strand he had me try on just for fun (even though he knew it was obviously out of the price range we were looking at) was the equivalent of $50,000 US. Maybe if I win the lottery. :). On a side note, 10% of his net profit is donated to Dr. Poole's research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's great to know about Ron Hall--I had no idea.

On the subject of drift snorkeling and snorkeling in general in deep water, I think it's more overall confidence and comfort in the water, rather than swimming ability. And then, confidence around coral. It takes time to get used to it, and there are circumstances where you're floating over coral heads, and that can be daunting. You can't step on them, so you have to keep floating, and steering yourself in the water, but you don't want to get scraped. Doing a less arduous snorkel first, where you can swim up to a coral head and get used to the idea of swimming near it would be good. That's where the current comes in with drift snorkeling, sometimes it's hard to control what's going on.

And if you're not completely comfortable in the water, don't do it. And if you're leery of snorkeling in general, buy yourself a flotation vest and wear it. The ship used to supply them, but they apparently do not now. I am comfortable in the water but there have been times when I could have ued one, especially two years ago when I was just recovering from heart surgery.

To the OP, September is definitely whale season on Moorea, so do think about the Dr. Poole expedition. Anyone know if it's still whale season in October?