To book a precruise stay with PG/Avoya or independently

kellig

We want to do a pre-cruise stay in an OWB for 3 days. PG/Aroya will only book the Intercontiental hotels for this, which limits our options. I had them price a stay at the Bora Bora intercontinental hotels since I didn't want to stay for 3 days on tahiti or Moorea. Price is about $700 higher for that add on than if we booked it ourselves with a 3 day pkg with flights through an online vendor (taking into account the $200 deviation fee). Twelve years ago was the only time I ever really used a TA, and the experience wasn't really a good one then, so I am wondering if you think the benefit provided by the TA's is worth $700 and do you use a TA for booking your PG trips?

I use a TA and she accesses a wholesaler if you don't want to use the IC properties.

A knowledgeable TA cannot be replaced. However I use different TAs depending on the area I am travelling to so local specialization can come into play.

A good TA is invaluable. Sadly, it is not permitted to name TAs on this board, which is a policy I agree with.

They are typically free to the passenger, usually provide added perqs, and know the ships well enough to tell you "I won't book you into cabin 12345 because there are problems with it. I suggest that I book you into 12543 instead."

I always have booked the PG through a TA with extensive experience with the line, but only for the cruise portion, not for independent flights or hotels. The main advantage for us at this point is that we receive a cash rebate from the TA for all cruises.

I have booked hotels in the past using the PG packages, they seemed to be priced fairly, but now that we book our own flights it doesn't make much sense financially, and booking our own hotels feels right--the world is a much smaller place since 2000, when booking on the internet was still fairly fraught.

The only real downside to booking your own is that you lose the last morning on the ship, and the transfer to the dayroom that PG provides, and then the transfer to the airport for a late flight. So cab fares must be factored in.

The upside is that if you book your own air (or do it through a TA), you don't incur the deviation fee.

Why don't you want to stay on Moorea? It's quite different from Bora Bora, but quite wonderful.

TA's can be valuable, if you use one you need to ask them a few questions. As things can change quickly in FP you want a TA who is up to date. I would recommend using one that frequents FP. So the questions to ask are:

1. How many times have you been to FP?

2. When was the last time you went to FP?

Though you may pay a bit more booking via the cruise line keep in mind you do have some protection. They become somewhat responsible if there is a snag in your pre-cruise vacation ............ and you have a local contact if a problem does arise. There is something to be said about having the arrangements made by the same company, they have all the pieces and it's easy to just sit back and enjoy, especially if this is your first trip to FP.

I've booked both ways, all I'm saying is there are trade offs either way.

I concur with Wendy ............ Moorea is beautiful and easy to enjoy for 3 days prior to your cruise plus the savings is enormous. Easy to get there and when you get back you simply walk a few hundred feet from the ferry to the PG.

Just my 2 cents worth ...........

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

For People who want to make a once in the lifetime trip to FP , BB has the most cachet and is the "it" place.

Today I received a travel report that was recommending the all inclusive nature of the Brando with its daily massages.

For People who want to make a once in the lifetime trip to FP , BB has the most cachet and is the "it" place.

Today I received a travel report that was recommending the all inclusive nature of the Brando with its daily massages.

But the originator of the thread will already be on Bora Bora for 2 days on the cruise, they will enjoy the "it" ...

For many seasoned travelers to FP we love Moorea equally, for different reasons but equally :D

Thank you all, this has been helpful. I have my first call with the TA who responded from the "request a quote button" on the PG website. I am gathering they are contracted by PG to respond to quote requests, but they have a different company name (which I inadvertently mentioned in the post header not knowing that was so taboo here and not sure if they were actually part of PG or not).

We are pretty well traveled, been to 24 countries in 14 years, and book our own travel and purchase travel insurance from some of the big name insurers. Usually we don't go back to the same place twice, so I am looking at this as a once in a lifetime trip most likely. Thus, why I wanted to explore good value and memorable options for an OWB pre-cruise. I will clarify with the TA if they really can only book the IC resorts, but that is the impression I was given. Looking at the IC in Moorea, it seemed to me that the OWB's weren't really the same experience as many of the others since they were on the edge of a motu rather than out there in the water farther.

In considering that we will have two days in Moorea and 2 in Bora Bora on the cruise, we started looking a little closer at the more remote and more natural looking option of Le Taha'a Island resort. I found a really good deal on a travel wholesaler that bundles the room and flight. So all in all right now it seems as if doing it on my own will be about $2k less than using the TA if I'm stuck with an IC resort for BB. I'll keep you posted as to what I decide after my conversation with them.

Thanks again for your help, I love the folks on CC! (used to love fodors forums too, but haven't used them much in recent years.)

FYI, there are 5 OWB at the IC Moorea that are completely over water, the remainder on partially over water.

Le Taha'a Island resort is very nice. If you go there they have a free shuttle that will take you over to the main island where a few restaurants will pick you up for dinner.

Another thing to know is the Le Taha'a Island resort is right next to the drift snorkel location that so many talk about doing when the PG is at Motu Mahana for the day. Fabulous place to enjoy for a few days.

Thanks Tahitianbigkahuna! I wondered if that was the same drift snorkel, thanks for confirming my tAHAA moment! We could do it for free while at the resort and just enjoy the motu picnic the day the PG is on Taha'a instead of missing some of that and paying to do it as an excursion. (That was my husbands attempt at making a pun out of the situation... he's punny.)

I just finished the call with the TA. They definitely won't book any pre-cruise hotel other than an IC resort, so we will be on our own with booking Taha'a.

Seems the price to book our own flights vs them to book the main international leg from LAX is about $300 cheaper, but I assume we'd lose the post cruise day room as a result. I tried asking them about the whole flight confirmation thing as I had read posts here that said you don't find out what flights you are on until 3 months beforehand??? She said that we would know in about 3 days, but that flight times can always change if the airline makes a change, which we understand. Given that, I wonder if booking our own flight to LAX to be on the same reservation with the international leg might actually be better rather than waiting a few days or months to know for sure what our flights are. Thoughts?

Depends on which date your cruise is and which airline. ATN flights to LAX are typically around same time, usually 11:00pm to 11:59pm, thias is true even if there are 2 flights the same day. Everyone gathers around the same time at the airport nno matter if your on the 'early' flight or the late flight.

When you do book your own flights you do have the option of taking Air France which is an early morning departure.

Keep in mind that when you book your own flights you not only do you lose the day room but the transfers. You will need to take a cab. Be aware that cabs are expensive in FP and 50% higher between sunset and sunrise.

While you get tons of great info here the one thing lacking is the ability to contact people privately and directly. If that option was available then specific travel agents, how much others paid, rebates, etc. could be discussed. Since you can't do that here consider posting on http://www.tripadvisor.com . They do have a private message feature through tripadvisor which can be very helpful.

How true that is! Our TA arranged enough OBC so we had all our excursions (PG offered) covered! We will be using the same TA again in 2018!

There are times that PG offers large shipboard credits directly ......... such as right now ;)

I would assume a TA can pass that same credit on ... a few TA's toss in a few extra bucks of their commission ... the ol' give a discount and go for more business to offset ...

Either way it's nice to have the credit to help off-set excursions ...

This is a picture of the Tahaa Resort next to the drift snorkel area with the majestic mountain on Bora Bora 13 miles away in the background. The snorkel area is just behind the OWB's. Taken last year as the PG was cruising inside the lagoon of Tahaa heading to Motu Mahana.

Of course there was some creativity when I took the picture ;)

i-jXxn3JS-L.jpg

We just confirmed our air with Paul Gauguin. They originally had us arriving at night (9:45 pm) so we paid the $100 air deviation fee so we could arrive in the morning (5:00 am). We are staying for one night in an OWB in Tahiti and we did not want to arrive so late that we could not enjoy a full day there. I also noticed that flights were about $300 lower if we were to do on our own but as Tahitianbigkahuna said we would have to pay for our day hotel and transfers. I was quoted $190 pp for day hotel if we did air on our own. Between that and the transfer, there isn’t too much of a savings. We also booked our OWB on our own and saved a ton of money doing so!

Tahitianbigkahuna - your picture of Tahaa resort is beautiful!

I prefer the morning arrival, good choice ;)

Thanks for the kudos on the picture. Actually the 'subject' was Mt. Otemanu on Bora bora, the Tahaa Resort just happen to be in the foreground which just happened to be an 'extra'. Mt. Otemanu 13 miles away reaching to the heavens is sort of how it is portrayed in so many holly films, bigger than life ...