Crystal Mozart River Cruise During Holiday Season

ClefsDor

We are considering booking Crystal Mozart next Dec for a 13 night return Vienna cruise which departs on 23 December. I would love to hear feedback from anyone who is about to embark on a similar journey this year. We have never done a river cruise and it's been a very long time since we had a cold European Christmas (we live in Sydney). I am torn as I think it would be lovely to do a European river cruise in the warmer months when we can utilise the gorgeous looking outdoor deck and perhaps sightseeing would also be easier, albeit more crowded? But I can also imagine the wonderful atmosphere during the festive season. Any comments, insights, reviews and feedback on how Christmas and New Year were on board would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Shirin

Happy to provide feedback since we are doing the holiday cruise next week. We fly to Vienna on the 21st and board on Thursday 22 Dec - 13 nights as well!

Looking at the weather at the moment thinking we must be crazy (well you call us Pommies). It is forecast go be barely above freezing (2C) during the day and below freezing at night(-4C). It will be very different to the previous blogs with warmer sailings.

Will either be posting on Cruise Critic or on a separate blog. Never done one before but will give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JohnKen3

Thanks JohnKen3, I am so happy to hear that you will be posting about your cruise! Can't wait to hear all about it. If you do post on a blog please let us know the the link. Hope you have a wonderful time despite the freezing weather - I guess it will add to the holiday atmosphere!

Hi, Ken,

It would be wonderful if you wrote a blog of your cruise on the Mozart!

The temperatures you are anticipating will be similar to what we experienced on NWP in summer, but you will have less daylight. :D

We wil be on a B2B in the spring and would appreciate your insights.

At this point we are waiting for the 2017 Michelin starred restaurant program to be released so we can adjust our time in Budapest and Vienna. We expect to go to a Vienna restaurant on the first voyage and a Budapest restaurant on the second voyage. We will try to get dinner reservations rather than lunch reservations, because it appears that one would have difficulty fitting in daytime shore excursions if one opted for a luncheon. Is that a valid assumption?

With the B2Bs we will have a fair amount of time in Vienna, which is one of the reasons we like Crystal's itinerary. Any guidance as to how to get into Vienna independently would be helpful.

Since those arriving at the ship independently were having difficulty finding the boat, my TA got some maps from Crystal. We can hand them to the taxi driver so he can find the "bicycle" path. I can email the maps to you if you would like.

Happy holidays to John and you! Have a great time!

Bon Voyage,

Rhonda

Although the Christmas markets are fun, by not doing that sort of cruise, you get to see more of what is important in the various ports. We did see most but not all.

I just got back from a Danube River cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it - very cold though - colder than the NWP in my opinion.

Peggy

We just got back also but you were still within the first four weeks of advent! December 24th start date will miss all markets - what a shame that would be especially this time of year![emoji319][emoji319]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it departs dec 23rd you will not get to experience the Christmas markets....definitely pick an earlier cruise - the 4 weeks of advent!

That is precisely the idea for me - I usually dislike Christmas markets. I suppose its because I see loads living in Europe. Love lights and decorations but never see much in the stalls themselves.

Since those arriving at the ship independently were having difficulty finding the boat, my TA got some maps from Crystal. We can hand them to the taxi driver so he can find the "bicycle" path. I can email the maps to you if you would like.

Thanks for reminding me about this Rhonda. Must get the snapshot of the map on my phone or on paper for the driver. Might arrange for a car through the hotel. We got a nice suite at the Hotel Imperial to start the trip in style.

At this point we are waiting for the 2017 Michelin starred restaurant program to be released so we can adjust our time in Budapest and Vienna. We expect to go to a Vienna restaurant on the first voyage and a Budapest restaurant on the second voyage. We will try to get dinner reservations rather than lunch reservations, because it appears that one would have difficulty fitting in daytime shore excursions if one opted for a luncheon. Is that a valid assumption?

With the B2Bs we will have a fair amount of time in Vienna, which is one of the reasons we like Crystal's itinerary. Any guidance as to how to get into Vienna independently would be helpful.

Planning the same river cruise for my parents next Sept, many of the excursions offered by Crystal, particularly those in Budapest are very different to the ones offered on this Christmas cruise. Something we could not fit in this time is one of the various concerts around town (mainly in the evenings). Have you since this website? http://www.viennaconcerts.com. Do keep at eye on the Opera as well. All opera is sung in the original language but you have personal subtitles at your seat in German and in English. The setting is magnificent.

Do consider lunch at Steireck. Its a three Michelin star restaurant not offered by Crystal (which offer one Michelin star venues). I say lunch since, the restaurant is set in a park so looking out is nice. Still we lack time, this time around, we can only fit in a dinner on the night we arrive this Wednesday.

Getting around Vienna? Uber exist and central Vienna is fairly walkable.

Edited by JohnKen3

Hi, Ken,

I have emailed you the two maps of the Mozart's docking location.

We have booked tickets to the opera for the night before we embark the Mozart.

We may also want to book concert tickets for the 2nd time Crystal offers the excursion to Belvedere Palace. As nice as the outing is, we probably don't need to participate in it twice within a 3 day period on our B2Bs. We may also want to enjoy a concert in Vienna on the embarkation night of the 2nd leg of our B2Bs.

Steirereck would be nice for lunch before our 5 hour opera, but it is closed on holidays so we will have to find a different option.

We do not get too much overlap in booking the two different itineraries as a B2B. It does give us more time in Budapest and Vienna, which was one of the attractions of Crystal's itineraries, and we intend to make the most of it.

Have a great trip! :)

Rhonda

I would love to hear from anyone who has done these cruises, as well. We originally booked the Dec 13, '17 Xmas markets cruise because I have always wanted to see the markets. But my partner just got a new boss at work who expressed his displeasure with all of our vacation time, and will now only allow us two weeks off over July 4th and two weeks off over Xmas. So we moved our trip to the Dec 23 sailing, still giving us the Vienna Xmas market but changing the dynamic of the rest of the cruise. We are excited about the overnight in Budapest for NYE, but I really want to hear what the cruise will be like in winter. If the whole Xmas markets concept is now out the window, will the freezing temps be worth it?

Michael

Jruns,

All these River trips are listed as Christmas Market Cruises.

We visited 2-3 markets per port every day in port. Plus a couple, some evenings as well.

I was not on the Mozart so can't speak abut her itinerary specifically. Did I enjoy my trip? Yes.

Peggy

We returned December 2nd. Slightly different than the trip you are talking about, but I am happy to answer questions if you have any. We loved the Christmas markets, though we are not shoppers and I do agree that we might have had more of a focus on sights than shopping with a different time of year. For one thing we cruised through the Wachau Valley at night (a change from the itenerary we booked) to get to Bratslavia early. So people could do more shopping? I don't know, but I do know that everyone toured town, hit the market and got back to the boat for dinner, so that extra time was a waste. I think it was just a rookie mistake by Crystal's corporate office, who made the change.

It's very easy to find the boat in Vienna. Take the train to Handelskai station. Get off the train, turn your head slightly to the right, and that is your boat. Worked for us. I know others had issues finding it in a cab. I'd recommend taking the train if possible.

The beginning of our trip was unseasonably warm. But it was bitterly cold by the end. I don't get cold. Never wear a coat, including while skiing. But it was COLD. Uncomfortable. Bitter. Cold. And it was drizzly. That upped the fun. At the Christmas markets we would enjoy some gluhwein to warm up. Without the markets, I think you'd just be cold. I wouldn't do it without the markets. We'll cruise the Danube again, sort of have to since Crystal screwed us out of the Wachau valley. But I won't do it in winter. Loved the Christmas markets cruise, but don't see the point of just doing it in winter.

Susan