P&O dissatisfied with our facilities

They are just greedy. There is no need to be making huge ports to cater for these monster floating hotels. I like cruising, however, the ship sizes are getting way too big for my tastes.

I agree. I am not interested in sailing in ships carrying more than 2,500 passengers. These mega ships don't even look like ships. But my major concern is that the bigger the ship (usually height), the higher the centre of gravity.

In addition no new ships over the last 30 years to my knowledge, have been built as ocean liners. i.e. ocean liners have deeper keels and stronger hulls to assist stability and sit lower in the water. Mega cruisers while not unsafe cannot be as stable as an ocean liner. The only regularly used passenger liner today is Queen Mary 2.

Edited by Ship Drongo

I agree. I am not interested in sailing in ships carrying more than 2,500 passengers. These mega ships don't even look like ships. But my major concern is that the bigger the ship (usually height), the higher the centre of gravity.

In addition no new ships over the last 30 years to my knowledge, have been built as ocean liners. i.e. ocean liners have deeper keels and stronger hulls to assist stability and sit lower in the water. Mega cruisers while not unsafe cannot be as stable as an ocean liner. The only regularly used passenger liner today is Queen Mary 2.

And that is a sweet ride.:D

I really don't think it's appropriate to use megaships for cruising around New Zealand. Several of the ports have access that is difficult for ships of that size and, since the cruising season is not much longer than 3 months, it seems arrogant to expect the ports to alter for these ships.

In any case, I thought that the megaships were designed as floating resorts, where you would want to spend much of your time on board. With NZ, much of the point of cruising here is to see the country, not the ship.

I really don't think it's appropriate to use megaships for cruising around New Zealand. Several of the ports have access that is difficult for ships of that size and, since the cruising season is not much longer than 3 months, it seems arrogant to expect the ports to alter for these ships.

In any case, I thought that the megaships were designed as floating resorts, where you would want to spend much of your time on board. With NZ, much of the point of cruising here is to see the country, not the ship.

The problem with the megaships is that most of the Pacific island ports are not suitable for them. In some cases the very big ships cannot dock resulting in slow tendering and in other cases, the large number of passengers just swamps the place. If anything, NZ is more suitable.

Regarding the stability of the big ships in rough seas - These ships are wider and have generally been built with flatter 'bottoms' for the Caribbean. Contrast this with the great ocean liners built for the trans-Atlantic: they have a deep V keel. I remember that on the old Fairstar one of the officers remarked that she handled rough seas very well because she had a deep keel. If they build the newer larger ships with a deep keel, they require deeper water to dock and this reduces the number of ports they can access. Then they have to tender passengers ashore - a slow and expensive process.

I can recall over the years that some people on this forum have kept saying that they want the bigger ships. Now that the Ovation is here, they can see what some others of us could see all along - the really big ships are not very suitable for this part of the world. (In my opinion!!) :)

I agree.

Look at the Caribbean . I believe th Oasis of the Seas "floats between only 3 or 4 ports.....each one designed for docking and moving a swarm of humanity in a very short time.

I shudder to think of the reports and reviews that will flood in from disgruntled passengers after the visit of Ovation to Auckland, where they have to tender ashore to the Viaduct area.:eek:

Build it and they will come.

Yep!

In this region of the world, we seem to have a total negative, re-active way of building things that are needed, rather than a pro-active way as seen in other parts of the world.

Anyone that has cruised the Caribbean or Med has seen the many concrete docks/ports used to tie up all size ships safely. Some of them have no fancy shops or shelter, but hey they work as far as getting passengers on and off quickly and safely. Authorities should be building these all around Australia and the Sth. Pacific.

Build it and they will come. !! Look at Dubai, they are on track to make more money from Tourism and innovative technology by 2025 than what they have ever made from Oil.

Yep!

In this region of the world, we seem to have a total negative, re-active way of building things that are needed, rather than a pro-active way as seen in other parts of the world.

Anyone that has cruised the Caribbean or Med has seen the many concrete docks/ports used to tie up all size ships safely. Some of them have no fancy shops or shelter, but hey they work as far as getting passengers on and off quickly and safely. Authorities should be building these all around Australia and the Sth. Pacific.

Build it and they will come. !! Look at Dubai, they are on track to make more money from Tourism and innovative technology by 2025 than what they have ever made from Oil.

Good examples.:D

In a practical sense I agree. However, this is about marketing, and the revenue opportunity to the cruise line.

A fair segment of people want the newest and flashiest, and this appeals to them, and also allows RCL to standout in the market as a point of difference, and get the promotions that have been on the media. So it helps get customers and helps their brand.

On the revenue side, they're basing these ships out of China, but this enables a revenue boost compared to staying over the off peak season there.

So it's not about the destinations really, but just the marketing, brand exposure and dollars.

On the revenue side, they're basing these ships out of China, but this enables a revenue boost compared to staying over the off peak season there.

So it's not about the destinations really, but just the marketing, brand exposure and dollars.

Yes, it's too cold to cruise out of China at this time of year so "let's send the new megaship down to Australia so the locals think they're getting a great deal. Sorry we can't go to many ports but hey, you're on our wonderful ship spending money and that's all that counts." :rolleyes: :p

Yep!

It's about building in touch with the environment. Do we need massive concrete docks added to say Venice? Sydney Harbour has similar limitations as the city is built around the harbour and is now developed with the commercial side already mostly kicked out.

Whereas the Med maintains a heavy commercial focus since there are so many countries around a much busier body of water used for so much trade. The traffic there is so much greater, so the docks and water facilities remain.

The Caribbean is different in that it hasn't been as fully populated so has more space, and they have found a massive tourism market next door (NA) and used tourism to boost their economies. That isn't the case here. We're not going to get 20,000 cruise passengers a day calling into our ports as they do, so it isn't appropriate either.

As for Dubai, they have oil issues with revenue falling badly, and future supply also falling so they know they have to plan for a different future. Tourism is an ideal but whether it happens with the limited landscape and hot temperatures is a big question mark. Yes, they're trying to "build it and they will come" because what alternative do they have?

I am not so worried about that unless there are numerous ships all in port on the same day.

I did a Caribbean cruise one year and there was 7 ships in one of the ports :eek: Horrendous. Some had to tender cause simply not enough room.

Rome is another port stop you need to check how many are in port cause it can determined how crowded all the sites will be in Rome that day and maybe pick somewhere locally to go.

Edited by icat2000

I vote for tearing down the Sydney Oprah house and building another OPT, thats positive ;)

and yes its spelt that way because it always been a drama.

As for Dubai, they have oil issues with revenue falling badly,

I would be happy having just .1% of their falling revenue .

Edited by 6666oz

So what is your limit then Sarah, 3200?

I think for me it really depends on the ship, some smaller (less passengers) ships feel more crowded than the larger ones with more passengers.

I think the Ruby Princess is the largest I have been on and that just over 3000 passengers. I don't think I've cruise on any bigger I have to check my cruising history. I prefer around 2500 passengers. Next cruise is on the Island Princess in May I don't think that is bigger than the Ruby.

Edited by icat2000

I think the Ruby Princess is the largest I have been on and that just over 3000 passengers. I don't think I've cruise on any bigger I have to check my cruising history. I prefer around 2500 passengers. Next cruise is on the Island Princess in May I don't think that is bigger than the Ruby.

Caribbean Princess had 3200, I thought it felt a bit crowded compared to the Diamond and the Golden as they are sister ships but with slightly differing capacities.

I did a Caribbean cruise one year and there was 7 ships in one of the ports :eek: Horrendous. Some had to tender cause simply not enough room.

Rome is another port stop you need to check how many are in port cause it can determined how crowded all the sites will be in Rome that day and maybe pick somewhere locally to go.

Barcelona also, lots of room though. We had 14,000 pax at Barcelona last April with 5 ships and 16,000 pax at Civitavecchia with 7 ships.:eek:

Barcelona also, lots of room though. We had 14,000 pax at Barcelona last April with 5 ships and 16,000 pax at Civitavecchia with 7 ships.:eek:

This is exactly what I'm worried about for our Med cruise. :eek:

But it's a bucket list cruise and it probably isn't going to get any better. Luckily we're starting in Barcelona so will have time before and after the cruise to sightsee, and we've been to Rome and Florence/Pisa before so will probably just explore the port towns on those days.

• 2 weeks later...
The problem with the megaships is that most of the Pacific island ports are not suitable for them. In some cases the very big ships cannot dock resulting in slow tendering and in other cases, the large number of passengers just swamps the place. If anything, NZ is more suitable.

Regarding the stability of the big ships in rough seas - These ships are wider and have generally been built with flatter 'bottoms' for the Caribbean. Contrast this with the great ocean liners built for the trans-Atlantic: they have a deep V keel. I remember that on the old Fairstar one of the officers remarked that she handled rough seas very well because she had a deep keel. If they build the newer larger ships with a deep keel, they require deeper water to dock and this reduces the number of ports they can access. Then they have to tender passengers ashore - a slow and expensive process.

I can recall over the years that some people on this forum have kept saying that they want the bigger ships. Now that the Ovation is here, they can see what some others of us could see all along - the really big ships are not very suitable for this part of the world. (In my opinion!!) :)

I agree with most of what you wrote. However, they could still build liners that are say no bigger than 70,000 tonnes. This would make them quite accessible to most destinations. Extra cost is the reason they don't build liners.:D