Questions for Ventura experts

BMT

Please help me to decide on a cruise on Ventura.

Does the indoor pool have sunloungers?

Can you get cappucino after dinner in the MDR? If so, is there a charge?

Is there a piano bar? ie A 'lively' pianist?

Do they ever offer drink packages included as an incentive?

I would be grateful for advice. Not been P&O for 50 years but hearing good reports re Ventura.

Thank you

Been on a few times and hopefully I have my facts right.

Yes, there are sun loungers at the pool that has a cover.

There is a pianist in one of the bars, but I think it's more sedate than lively.

No drinks package as you mean it. They have a wine package but not really worth it. IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are sun lounges in the indoor pool - the one with the sliding roof.

You can get any kind of coffee or tea after dinner in the MDR - no charge.

There is a piano bar. Whether you consider it lively or not depends on the pianist at the time and your preferences.

The only drink package is on a wine package but the saving is not great.

Brian

On P&O you can take your own booze on board. Well a reasonable amount. They won't take it off you as you board. But this is for drinking in your cabin. If you brought it to the dining table, they would charge you 'corkage'.

Regarding coffee, there's also a Costa on board. You do pay for your coffee there, but I presume (not being a coffee drinker) that they may do a better cup? Although you pay for the coffee, and cake you have to go with it is included in the price of the coffee.

There are sun lounges in the indoor pool - the one with the sliding roof.

You can get any kind of coffee or tea after dinner in the MDR - no charge.

There is a piano bar. Whether you consider it lively or not depends on the pianist at the time and your preferences.

The only drink package is on a wine package but the saving is not great.

Brian

Brian, is the coffee comment correct, I have always assumed that any coffee other than the standard, or decaf, was charged for, similar to the Costa coffee prices.

We like the piano bar (The Red Bar) but a lot depends on the pianist at the time. We've heard American songbook style pianists and singer-songwriter style. There's a good selection of entertainment onboard other than the theatre IMO. We prefer bars and lounges to full blown stage shows

Brian, is the coffee comment correct, I have always assumed that any coffee other than the standard, or decaf, was charged for, similar to the Costa coffee prices.

I think there was a time a few years ago when charges were made but I have not known anyone be charged recently.

Brian

I always ask for a cappuccino after dinner in the main dining room and have never been charged. One of the waiters has to go and get it specially and sometimes takes a while - so I don't know how far they have to go! The staff are so good that after the first evening, they usually get it without being asked.

Michele

Well, thank you one and all. Great responses. Hoping for an 'American Pie' type of piano man!!

Looking good on the cappucino front:D:D

Oh oh another question rears its ugly head:eek:

Is the main dining room open every day for lunchypoo? Love that on Cunard.

As well as being open for lunch every day, the MDR is open for afternoon tea at 4pm.

Incidentally, there is always a curry on the menu at lunchtime.

Brian

Uh oh.....curry? Do we Brits really have such an obsession with curry as the cruise lines believe? Celebrity Eclipse chefs really seem to believe this and that we want food from Goa etc. Only have to look at the plates of the somewhat bemused elderly passengers in the buffet, to see that chips and a bit of salad smacks at desperation ......as in our case!:D They used to have excellent fish'n'chips every day, but it proved too popular - they had to keep refilling apparently!

Such a nuisance, we Brits:eek::D:D Self indulgent chefs seem to be everywhere. A buffet on a ship out of the UK, now that we are Brexiteers (some of us!), should have a British section - fed up with Mexican etc. Bring on bangers (Cumberland of course!) and mash, lovely pies, fish'n'chips, not forgetting sticky toffee pudding.

And what has happened to Chinese food? We oldies still love that - not smelly curry.

I feel the flames arising out of the ashes of this post........................

Seriously, thanks for all your help - we love to be served at lunchtime and will be in the MDR every lunchtime. We don't get off at ports anymore and hate fighting in the buffets - so excellent news - another star for P&O.

Saffron restaurant - hopefully not all Indian curry lunch:D

Is that where open/select dining takes place in the evening?

How many Main Dining Rooms are there? Plus the usual pay options of course;)

There are three main restaurants. Saffron and Cinnamon are Freedom dining and Bay Tree is Club (fixed time) dining. All three have the same menu and dress code and the food comes from the same kitchen for all.

This only applies in the evening. At other times anyone is free to use whichever restaurant is open.

Brian

So, if you are in anytime dining for the evening meal, are you allocated one or t'other dining locations, or just go to whichever takes your fancy?

Its quite important that we don't have to run around, as I am accompanied by a young 101 year old, who doesn't like to sit in the wheelchair:D:eek:

They were so nice on NCL and always gave her a little priority to get seated. Ditto Celebrity. Especially if the ship is moving a little!;)

The only drawback on Ventura is the cabin - we need a walkin shower as she can't get out of the bath - which seems to exclude cabins above HA balcony. Still, we can park the wheelchair on the balcony overnight I suppose!! And at least HAs are close to the lift (I assume its a lift on Ventura and not an elevator)!?

So, if you are in anytime dining for the evening meal, are you allocated one or t'other dining locations, or just go to whichever takes your fancy?

Its quite important that we don't have to run around, as I am accompanied by a young 101 year old, who doesn't like to sit in the wheelchair:D:eek:

They were so nice on NCL and always gave her a little priority to get seated. Ditto Celebrity. Especially if the ship is moving a little!;)

The only drawback on Ventura is the cabin - we need a walkin shower as she can't get out of the bath - which seems to exclude cabins above HA balcony. Still, we can park the wheelchair on the balcony overnight I suppose!! And at least HAs are close to the lift (I assume its a lift on Ventura and not an elevator)!?

You are normally allocated a dining room and they prefer that you stay with that, but since they are both identical its not really an issue.

The MDR waiters will wheel the chair to your table and help the user to transfer to a dining chair, or remove the chair to accomodate the whhelchair. They will also move the whelchair back to the entrance for storage and bring it back when you are ready to leave.

Assuming the wheelchair folds it will easily fit into the walk in wardrobe area for overnight storage.

You are normally allocated a dining room and they prefer that you stay with that, but since they are both identical its not really an issue.

The MDR waiters will wheel the chair to your table and help the user to transfer to a dining chair, or remove the chair to accomodate the whhelchair. They will also move the whelchair back to the entrance for storage and bring it back when you are ready to leave.

Assuming the wheelchair folds it will easily fit into the walk in wardrobe area for overnight storage.

It does not take long for waiters to twig that a wheelchair user is going to turn up every night. Under these circumstances they hold back on an easier access table near the entrance.

Is there any way you can take a fold up chair, like people use for fishing and put it in the shower to sit on?

Regards John

On previous cruises we were allocated a dining room for Freedom Dining, but earlier this month it was a question of go to whichever you like. And one was open 5.30 to 9.00 and the other 6.00 to 9.30. Also, they were quite willing to give a table for 8 or 10 for exclusive use of a couple. Since we always like a table for 2 and like to eat relatively early, these were great improvements for us and a good move by P&O. (And the food was, overall, better than in Cunard Princess Grill on an earlier cruise - although Cunard scores in other ways).

It does not take long for waiters to twig that a wheelchair user is going to turn up every night. Under these circumstances they hold back on an easier access table near the entrance.

Is there any way you can take a fold up chair, like people use for fishing and put it in the shower to sit on?

Regards John

Well, I am hoping that they will supply a shower stool - many ships do, but that is a great suggestion - I have one of those seats already to take if necessary. I will give them a call.

Thanks again everyone.

So helpful....so here's another one y'all!! In the theatre, do they have wheelchair access at the front of the theatre? On Celebrity there is a special elevator backstage for wheelchairs and on Cunard a passage straight to the front.