Our Holiday Antarctica Adventure

Chairsin

Chairsin, many thanks for your posts.

What is the temperature range that you have experienced on this journey?

Does one need to use the Seabourn Parka and boots, etc., or can one bring personal protective equipment along?

Notjaded, if you go onto the Seabourn Expititions site here:-https://my.yb.tl/seabournexpeditions/#3

and enlarge the map considerably you will see a series of dots along the ship's track, click on any dot and you will see what the air temperature was at that point.

As to clothing, we were on the first cruise of Quest's second season in Antarctica (early December 2015) we had snow on a number of landing days and while my wife feels the cold terribly she was quite comfortable in Marino Thermals, padded ski pants and the supplied Seabourn padded jacket, Parka and beanie ( plus thin gloves, mittens and hand and foot warmers)

Remember you are not doing landings if it is windy.

My coldest day was on deck 11 sailing up the Chilean Fjiords into a strong headwind, I inadvertently stuck my head over the windscreen, it felt like dry ice hitting my skin!

Enjoy your cruise, I would go again tomorrow 😀

Many thanks Chairsin for your informative posts with lots of useful information to fill in the gaps. Like previous posters we are on the Quest for the 2nd February trip and your account could not have come at a better time..

Could you please tell me how many formal nights there are on your trip?

So now we are bumping along the choppy seas sharing stories and photos of what we have seen along the way with our fellow passengers.

Yesterday, 7 Jan, there was a fab view of South Georgia on their webcam with clear skies and full sun.

I think Chairsin has nailed the advantages of going on a big ship like the Quest. Any bigger ship would obviously be ridiculous as it would just be a sail-by without ever getting penguin poo on your wellies.

A few years ago I was on a 100 passenger expedition ship, Island Sky, which successfully visited Tristan da Cunha and then set sail for South Georgia. After three days the captain, an awful man, called us all together and said we would die if we went to South Georgia. So he turned the ship around and we headed for the Falklands - ten days in huge seas in a ship that behaved like a cork in a waterfall. And that small ship rapidly became incredibly claustrophobic.

This wouldn't be the same in the Quest which has bags of room inside and lots of things to do. And I don't think there has been much less of an intimate encounter with Antarctica than you'd get in a smaller ship. And the Quest must ride those waves so much better than a small vessel.

Chairsin's reports have been very persuasive to a sceptic like me.

Edited by Fletcher

Chairsin, enjoying your report immensely.

As we are just beginning to pack for the 12 Jan Seabourn Quest Antarctica Voyage I was wondered what the daily mode of clothing was for male and female? I plan on jeans and turtlenecks during the day and dress slacks and long sleeve dress shirts with sweaters for the evening (and a sports jacket). My wife is planning similarly. Also bringing some waterproof hiking boots to wear around the ship for those rushes out to the wet? deck for whale sightings. Any other suggestions as we hate to bring too much clothing that we never wear. Have managed tropical cruises on just a carry on and backpack each for up to 20 days so we have got it down to a science. I think we have the cold weather gear we will need. BTW how busy are the washing machines for washing the long underwear? We plan on bringing three pair. Also we have waterproof pants instead of snow pants so will we need to wear something between them and our long johns?

Cruise aficionado

Sorry for the delay in responding-- internet very hit or miss the last three sea days.

To answer your question regarding dress during much of the cruise people have dressed casually during the day as often we were Wither getting ready to go ashore in our full expedition gear or just returning most days we wore Jean and fleece or a sweater around the ship and usually had our puffy jackets with us as we hung out in SB Square or in the Obs Bar. Both location had Expedition staff out side for a few hours morning and afternoon with scopes so we could take a good look at all of the animals and scenery. There were definitely two different types of passengers -- thousands who could not get enough and spent many hours s day put on deck and those who were content to limit their Antarctica viewing to the zodiac ride and found other distractions indoors. As those in the former group I did have my hiking boots with me but only because of our five days hiking in the Torres Del Paine. I definitely would not have brought the.other wards. Sneaker with good tread were fine while out on deck viewing. Do bring heavy smartwool socks so your feet don't get cold.

My husband and I do like to dress up so we did dress most evening -- sport cost with or without a tie for him -- nice dresses for me. And I did bring two long gowns and two formal dresses for the four black tie nights

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would say more people had rain pants than snow pants but given how thin out blood is I was very happy we brought outpre. And of course as the temp can be variables Let me continue as I hit send before I was finished. Most formal evening I would say less less than twenty percent of the passengers were dressed up as much on formal nights. Many did not ever dress up and were content to dine in the Colonnade. A few times I did see people turned away from the Restaurant because they were not dressed according to the prescribed standards.

As to the laundry it did look pretty busy when I walked by every day (we were on deck 5) but as we never sued it I can't say for sure. I was very grateful to have free Laundry -- especially the day we board the ship and I had piles of dirty hiking clothes from our week in the Torres Del Paine and Easter island..

So back to the cruise in general. We are on our fourth sea day and I have survived. Not trying to sound melodramatic but I have never done more than two in a row and hope never to again. I kept very busy the first day attending at least three lectures a day and playing Trivia -- as well as drinking and eating. Today it is at least warm and suny and for the first time we are all on deck. We will be arriving in Montevideo in a couple of hours and they have begun and Epicuresn Sweets event by the pool and for the first time since the beginning of our cruise the Sky Bar is open. And tonight assuming this lovely weather continues we will have Rock the Boat on deck. We are thrilled we found an open berth so we could dock in Montevideo overnight.

In order to be fair and let all those we wish to have an opportunity to dine in this elegant intimate little space they limit the number of booking you can make depending on the length of he cruise. So in our 24 day cruise we were allowed three booking. After that we went on the wait list and were lucky a couple of times in that respect. We love singing there and of it were possible would be there every other evening. And since SB had smartly decided not to charge a cover fee for dining there each time we dined there we bought a lovely bottle of wine. But we never felt any pressure to do so.i like the menu but others onboard have been critical of the menu which with the experience of a daily entree and appetizer remains the same. I personally don't find this to be a deterrent.

Cruise aficionado

Sorry for the delay in responding-- internet very hit or miss the last three sea days.

To answer your question regarding dress during much of the cruise people have dressed casually during the day as often we were Wither getting ready to go ashore in our full expedition gear or just returning most days we wore Jean and fleece or a sweater around the ship and usually had our puffy jackets with us as we hung out in SB Square or in the Obs Bar. Both location had Expedition staff out side for a few hours morning and afternoon with scopes so we could take a good look at all of the animals and scenery. There were definitely two different types of passengers -- thousands who could not get enough and spent many hours s day put on deck and those who were content to limit their Antarctica viewing to the zodiac ride and found other distractions indoors. As those in the former group I did have my hiking boots with me but only because of our five days hiking in the Torres Del Paine. I definitely would not have brought the.other wards. Sneaker with good tread were fine while out on deck viewing. Do bring heavy smartwool socks so your feet don't get cold.

My husband and I do like to dress up so we did dress most evening -- sport cost with or without a tie for him -- nice dresses for me. And I did bring two long gowns and two formal dresses for the four black tie nights

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will ditch the hiking boots and take the sneakers instead.

Notjaded, if you go onto the Seabourn Expititions site here:-https://my.yb.tl/seabournexpeditions/#3

and enlarge the map considerably you will see a series of dots along the ship's track, click on any dot and you will see what the air temperature was at that point.

As to clothing, we were on the first cruise of Quest's second season in Antarctica (early December 2015) we had snow on a number of landing days and while my wife feels the cold terribly she was quite comfortable in Marino Thermals, padded ski pants and the supplied Seabourn padded jacket, Parka and beanie ( plus thin gloves, mittens and hand and foot warmers)

Remember you are not doing landings if it is windy.

My coldest day was on deck 11 sailing up the Chilean Fjiords into a strong headwind, I inadvertently stuck my head over the windscreen, it felt like dry ice hitting my skin!

Enjoy your cruise, I would go again tomorrow 😀

Many thanks!

Chairsin

Thank you so much for your continuous posts. I was on the November 28 sailing and have thoroughly enjoyed your updates of your experiences. As you would, I would go back in a heartbeat! Best cruise and experience ever! Great praise for Seabourn and the Expedition Team!

Oh too cute!!!

Thank you -- if I did sound down ( and really it was just a matter of a bad cold combined with the enforced inactivity of the sea days) I really did not feel that way. We are just docking in BA now and I have to say we really do think this was our best Seabourn cruise ever. When I return home in a few days I will post some final thoughts. For now I am glad that I brought back some nice memories to those who have done this trip, increased the excitement level for those about to embark on this trip and maybe spur those who have not yet booked to do so.

Oh too cute!!!

Thank you -- if I did sound down ( and really it was just a matter of a bad cold combined with the enforced inactivity of the sea days) I really did not feel that way. We are just docking in BA now and I have to say we really do think this was our best Seabourn cruise ever. When I return home in a few days I will post some final thoughts. For now I am glad that I brought back some nice memories to those who have done this trip, increased the excitement level for those about to embark on this trip and maybe spur those who have not yet booked to do so.

Many thanks Chairsin, this has helped sort out packing for our up coming trip, it did not look as if it was too cold in Antartica, we have 0 degrees at the moment, yet I have purchased many layers of thermals. Oh well I will be prepared.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the wonderful information you provided about your Antarctica cruise!! My wife and I are looking into this cruise for next December.

After the cruise was done, where did you stay in BA? Or did you just go to the airport and return home? Did you use Seabourn's transfer from the ship to the airport or a private company? Any details you can provide for this last part of the journey would be most helpful. Thanks!!

Thanks for all of the wonderful information you provided about your Antarctica cruise!! My wife and I are looking into this cruise for next December.

After the cruise was done, where did you stay in BA? Or did you just go to the airport and return home? Did you use Seabourn's transfer from the ship to the airport or a private company? Any details you can provide for this last part of the journey would be most helpful. Thanks!!

We're booked in at hotel Fierro. A boutique hotel in a decent area. Great reviews. We've stayed at Alvear palace and mine boutique hotel in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed at the Alvear Art Hotel in Retiro.for three nights. Loved the hotel, location ( more central than the Palace) and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We spent two days walking everywhere -- 8 to ten miles a day. It felt so good after the four sea days. We drank some nice Malbec and one night took a taxi to Palermo where we had a very good dinner at La Cabrera. And on the third day we took a private tour to the El Tigre area that included a boat ride on some of the rivers in the area. Quite fascinating. But frankly I did not like BA itself and would not return. If I were to do it again I would spend the time in

El Calafate.

Chairsin,

Are there any ports on this trip where Shopping with the chef is available? I suspect not. Many thanks

I think in South Georgia there is an option to accompany the chef when he catches an Emperor Penguin and slices it into penguishimi. Apart from that, no.

We would love to go shopping with the chef wherever he shops as my partner loves to cook and would be thrilled to do this. It sounds like so much fun! He took a cooking class on Regent several years ago it was called Le Cordon Bleu <sp> class and he was bored as he knew more than the chef and Dan is French and a very good cook. I just clean up and do the scullery work.:eek:

No, no Shopping With the Chef excursion on this cruise -- not that I expected one. And frankly unlike say Jes or Rajat who seem to enjoy taking passengers on SWTC excursions I somehow don't think our chef, Andreas, would have been into it.

And Fletcher funny you should mention dining on penguins. Toward the end of the cruise when the Expedition crew was more relaxed they let their hair down a bit one evening at the two brief "lectures" that accompanied the predinner daily briefing. One lecturer, with a very straight face and explicit slides, gave a talk on the trajectory of penguin pooping. The second lecturer gave one on the historical recipes and references to preparing and dining on penguins, seals and whales.