Sharing a cabin with snorers

arlanamay

I recently came home from a miserable week on the Carnival Conquest...caused entirely by my &^%$#@ snoring roommate. I was so frustrated with this situation as I was stucking listening to the freaking noise all night while she slept soundly.

I wish I had had a "white noise" machine because maybe it would have helped. I wore earplugs and slept with a pillow and my arm over my head. But I couldn't block the racket out. It was horrible and ruined my week because I was exhausted.

I did not agree to share with a snorer...she told me that she did not snore. And, after this experience, I will NEVER share with anyone again. Good luck.

My DH is a gem - he snores, but I sleep right through it. He tells me that I "purr" and sometimes he has to wake me up because the purring gets too loud. I've tried the Breathe-Right strips and they don't do a thing for me, except leave marks on my skin in the morning. I suggest some foam ear plugs that are somewhat tapered for fit, not just the little blobs of foam to stick in your ears. A few years ago at our local pharmacy I saw some ear plugs filled with down - didn't buy them, and now wish I had. I'm sure DH would have appreciated them. Funny, before I turned 50, I didn't purr at all ... what gives?:rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We have a snorer in the family. Luckily we also have a friend who happens to be a dentist! This person went to her office and was fitted with a mouthguard (all in 1 office visit) that repositions the mandible just enough so the snoring is either completely stopped or is put to a mild purr. The first couple of mornings there were complaints of muscle soreness (take an Advil)! It's way better than trying to deal with me after having listened to him snore all night long!! They wake up so chipper while we have Rand McNally eyes! Hey, sounds like a Christmas present!

Unfortunately, I'm the major snorer. Hubby kept tapping me in the middle of the night and telling me to use some nasal spray. Then he asks me to go downstairs to sleep. So sometimes I just sleep downstairs just so I don't have to get interrupted. I tried the Breatheright strips and the spray. I just get congested (hay fever and sinus problems). My doctor said to lose my extra weight (I'm about five pounds over my target weight) and that should solve it. But I have a feeling I'll just keep snoring. And he'll just have to deal with it on our cruise.:rolleyes:

I've thought about bring tylenol pm to knock myself out. LOL. I get headaches if I drink so I won't go that route. I will try those down ear plugs and foam ones and I will by that snore spray stuff too. I'm super crabby if I don't get enough sleep. I don't want to be that way to my sweet mom and dad who happen to use a chain saw when they are sawing logs.

I travel with my best friend sometimes, and she snores like a chainsaw. I use earplugs, a noise machine, and sleep on the fold out sofa next to the door to the balcony and crack the door so I can hear the ocean. The combination of all 3 USUALLY drowns her out!

Cathy

When the kids were younger, we always shared a room (ship or hotel) with them, DH would get furious because my son kept him awake with his snoring. He finally shut up about it when I told him his son sounded just like him. Both of them sleep on their backs, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I make them roll onto their side or stomach. That makes them stop long enough for me to get to sleep. Once I'm asleep, the noise does not wake me.

Probably the best solution is the headphones, I've tried ear plugs, but they just don't block the noise completely. DH loves to watch documentary films, the monotone voices narrating always put me right out. Perhaps some of them have the shows on audio tape!

• 1 month later...

I'm a snorer, and my cabin mates banished me to the balcony to sleep every night. :rolleyes:

It was only on the last night that they realised how nice it must be to sleep with a gentle warm Caribbean breeze and the swish of the ship's wake... so on the last night I was banished to the cabin....:eek: :)

DH used to snore something fierce. I finally convinced him to have a sleep study done and discovered that he has severe sleep apnea. He would hold his breath sometimes for 30-45 seconds before he would exhale. After getting a CPap machine, I am finally sleeping much better. I can't imagine sharing a cabin with a snorer!:(

Another "thumbs down" here for the Breathe Right Strips. My snoring husband uses them every night (due to chronic congestion) and I swear they make his snoring even louder! I call them amplifiers instead of Breathe Right Strips! We have tried the spray stuff (Snore-eze) and it did seem to work, but hubby tends to "forget" to use it most of the time so I stopped harping on him about it and just suffer in silence....well, I guess it isn't silent, is it? I just suffer and use the occasional kick in the shin method of snore reduction. It works great but only for a few minutes! ;)

Bonnie Voyager----I've given up too, and just moved to the sofa! DH goes to bed a lot earlier than I do, so I just go directly to there after the 11:00 news. But @ 4:30-5:00 a.m. when he gets up, I get another 2 hrs to myself in bed! It's amazing, though, that on our last cruise I took my earplugs, a Tylenol PM, and the slight motion of the ocean took care of the rest. (or was it the after dinner drink?). Just didn't seem as bad on the cruise! :D

Good Luck. Our 24 year old Daughter shared a room with her aunt,who warned us she snored. Although our daughter took earplugs, the aunt snored so loud that our daughter wound up bunking in our cabin on blankets on the floor more than once and catching naps when her aunt was out of the room, which wasn't often. It might be worth the money to find a friend that the parents approve of who could split costs on a second cabin. It really was rough on all of us, very uncomfortable and next time my daughter will get her own cabin before we have her share with her snoring aunt. We all love each other and had a good time, but we'd rather have a great time next trip even if we cut back somewhere else. :)

I had the same problem with my husband. Finally I got him tested for sleep apnea. Yes he has it. The doctor said it may go away if he lost weight. That hasn't happened. He does use the machine and I sleep a lot better (when he doesn't have sineses (sp?) which is often lately.

I am not sure of the brand but the ones I get are the preshaped soft foam ones (they are ORANGE in color) You roll them between your fingers to "mash them down" then insert them (there are instructions on the box)

I find them most comfortable of all the ones I have tried. Buy some ahead of time and try them out. (I can't hear much thru them and with MR HEAVY SNORER in the bed next to me I sleep like a baby)

Who makes the best ear plugs?

Archived