Cheapo dad's trip report on Freedom of the Seas

harryfat1

Good call on this one. We did the tour (with Princess though in 2006) and it does take a bit to get there and back. Very very interesting and when we went it was being excavated by the Royal Ontario Museum. .... shout out to fellow Canadians [emoji12]

On certain occasions it is definitely better to book with the ship. When we were on Celebrity and we were in Panama a couple of tours through the ship were delayed and we waited more than 2 hours for them to get back. That wouldn't happen for a private tour for sure!

Yeah, our tour didn’t get back into port until around 5:20 that afternoon. With the all aboard time of 6:30, there’s only 1 hour for margin of error on a private tour for car problems. When you are 1 hour away from port at the ruins, things could get dicey in worst case scenario.

Certain time sin life, you just pay the money and have peace of mind and move on.

If you have mobility issues, you can get on the free tram that can take you from one end of the other pier to the other end. But that takes away the photo opts where you can pause for a quick snap shot. Look at the color of the water from the camera. Very pretty.

31432713263_145f57070a_b.jpg

32094156452_7117b07a2f_b.jpg

31867067170_273d36ca28_b.jpg

31432710103_bd9abab7c7_b.jpg

32204673816_c71f5248d2_b.jpg

Check out this guy in wheelchair hitching a ride with the back of the tram. Not exactly the safest way to travel or even be allowed back at home but it’s effective.

32094130512_7e8fcfdbcc_b.jpg

Finally made it to the end of the pier. Cheapo dad looking for oxygen and a snack bar for having to walk such a long distance. Isn’t there a requirement on the cruise that for every 1,000 feet you walk, you need a drink or eat something? We easily have walked few thousand feet from the theater to the end of the pier.

Then they told us to follow the people along the cruise terminal to the bus stop where you see another set of line.

Really? Is this tour to see the ruins or to see more lines? Disney theme parks are well known for its long lines but at least they are somewhat organized and they disguise it well. This is just random to stand in one line only to tell you to walk X number of feet to get to next line only to walk Y number of feet to get to the next line…

OK, time to leave the thatch roof place and follow the people ahead of you to the bus area

32094046482_dd00f93474_b.jpg

32123931161_e8ea9b5996_b.jpg

31432586343_233064891d_b.jpg

32123912051_b4576fdc21_b.jpg

32123906921_35e0a976a3_b.jpg

Keep following the people ahead of you

32094025192_76d7b8f7b2_b.jpg

Edited by harryfat1

Now is 12:44. Over 45+ minutes since we started at the theater and we are still in big old line trying to get on SOME bus. Any bus. We’re not picky. It doesn’t have to be orange or blue. Any color is fine.

32242674545_5604516fa3_b.jpg

32094011572_915c7bb352_b.jpg

She looks as happy as the other tourists in line she's trying to guide

32094004242_e8b82dd2f3_b.jpg

Finally made it to a bus with AC. The bus driver gave each person a bottle of water as we walked in. Thank goodness to be drinking that than the water from RP. It took a while to get started as I think we are almost the last bus or second to last going to the ruins as they tried to pick up all the stragglers that got lost in the terminal compound following hundreds of people and didn't know where to go.

31884404660_44c6e7e251_b.jpg

31884398020_defca8510b_b.jpg

31884392760_d88eece879_b.jpg

Then we eventually made it out of the cruise terminal. As with many of the facade sanitized buildings that are built for cruise ship passengers, once you leave the cruise terminal, you see more of the real local area. I dislike these false fronts built just for cruise passengers. Too Disney like in their rendition.

These people could be booking with the local tours as they look like they are lining up and waiting outside the compound

31450267333_ff45f448b7_b.jpg

The more real part of the town

31450262593_b9be91cee1_b.jpg

31450257413_0a868c91b8_b.jpg

31419067024_350529e78b_b.jpg

Fleas? Actually, another CC poster developed a staph infection from holding them for photos. I am not a fan of touching or holding monkeys.

And yet another CC poster developed a hard-to-treat (e.g., multiple rounds of antibiotics) urinary tract infection.

So, in other words...beware the monkeys in St. Kitts (probably all islands)!

great pics of some waves, lovely! Can never get enough of that blue!!!:eek:

Because the pier is so long and we were far enough out, we were parallel with the wave as it was breaking since we were further out. Different perspective than if the pictures taken from the beach front.

Final straw is even though there was a BIG OLD sign that tells people DO NOT put their water bottle directly under the dispenser (can you spell CONTAMINATION?), still many idiots still try to shove their water bottles right into the dispenser. The better way to do it is get water into the cups and then take the cups to a table area and pour the water into the water bottle. But people are lazy. .

Like chairhogs, it's a very common sight in most sailings I had. Disappointing.

Like chairhogs, it's a very common sight in most sailings I had. Disappointing.

That's too bad. RCI is not focusing on the right priority. Here on one hand, they make everyone do the hand sanitizer such that you can't have a meal onboard without the "washy washy" people squirt the thing on you.

Yet on the back end, anyone with any disease or illness can spread the germs easily to hundreds of people on the ship via the cafe water dispenser.

Making mental note to self on next cruise to get water at wj in the morning.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That's too bad. RCI is not focusing on the right priority. Here on one hand, they make everyone do the hand sanitizer such that you can't have a meal onboard without the "washy washy" people squirt the thing on you.

Yet on the back end, anyone with any disease or illness can spread the germs easily to hundreds of people on the ship via the cafe water dispenser.

Making mental note to self on next cruise to get water at wj in the morning.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I agree that filling water bottles directly is disgusting. Yet sanatizing hands is a priority, but we all know that the best way to kill germs is water and soap.

A funnel should be on everyone's packing list. And I think I am gonna follow your example and fill my bottles in the WJ.

Cindy

I agree that filling water bottles directly is disgusting. Yet sanatizing hands is a priority, but we all know that the best way to kill germs is water and soap.

A funnel should be on everyone's packing list. And I think I am gonna follow your example and fill my bottles in the WJ.

Cindy

The hard part is to remember to take the water bottle to breakfast with you on port days. This will be a new habit that may take a while to reinforce.

They have a gazillion clean ice cold water in cups in WJ and no lines. So in terms of efficiency, it’s easier to fill the water in WJ since you will be there already to eat breakfast and won’t need to make a special trip down to RP to stand in long line with folks to get the questionably clean water.

The first stretch of the road to the ruin is very long and straight. Only one curve to speak of in the first 30+ minutes of the drive. It’s just one very long bumpy white road. I was bored and with the rocking bumpy motion, I fell asleep on the way there.

31419061134_ac76638cdf_b.jpg

The road became smoother after we connected to the Freeway road 307 and then finally 293. They tried to sell some personalized Mayan necklace on the bus with your name in Mayan for $40+. Too rich for me, but I know some people on bus ordered it. What they do is drop off your order by the side of the road on the way there and then the workers make it while you are at the ruins. Then somehow you pick it up at the pier at the end of the tour.

Now you get to see the non-touristy areas of the Mahahual region. I prefer it over the cruise terminal’s version.

31450242043_f0e870d99a_b.jpg

32111150102_b80a680bfc_b.jpg

32111145542_6b937f295d_b.jpg

Pineapples, anyone?

32140929011_02e79a8245_b.jpg

Once we arrived at the ruins and saw a whole bunch of people there from the other buses. I assume most of them are RCI cruisers there at around 2 PM. Princess docked at 7 AM so their passengers should have been on the morning tour. There was a long line just to go to the bathroom and then not even enough time to shop (visit uncle in prison) before the tour guide started to round up the people to get started.

31884209490_710d3432e8_b.jpg

32140794691_052fe9cefb_b.jpg

They were selling mosquito sprays at the site but we know from previous experience ruin experience Cozumel to bring our own spray. $5 from Amazon or Target if you bring your own. We got the one with 98% DEET from home. Got off the bus and spayed the sucker on everyone’s arms and legs and have them rubbed some on their faces.

Hey, don’t scoff, can you spell ZIKA? Actually I saw few mosquito flying around other people’s heads as there are grass area everywhere on the tour (remember, you are in the jungle area) and you see them buzzing by but we felt somewhat protected with the spray.

A whole lot of buses here

32140785961_cb29847b6e_b.jpg

Thank you to everyone that gave suggestions for things to do in St. Kitts. I am torn between the Thenford Grey tour and just walking/relaxing near the pier. Decisions decisions decisions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by n5749w

But since there are many veteran cruisers reading this report, if anyone has suggestion on what to do at the popular eastern Caribbean ports, I would appreciate any suggestions from those that have done some fun stuff but not too pricey at these ports.

We are going to

1) San Juan – which I think we will just do the self guided walking tour to see the old town and the fort. There should be enough photo ops to keep our cameras busy. First time visit.

2) St. Thomas - we've been there twice previously. Did the basic island tour. Been to the St. Johns also. Not sure what else to do there.

3) St. Maarten – we went there many years ago before the kids were born on a self guided taxi tour on the French side. This time I guess we will do the Bernard’s guided tour that has many rave reviews on Trip Advisor.

Thanks in advance to anyone with comments and suggestions on what to do at these 3 ports. Keep in mind the name of this report – don’t give me exotic excursions that costs $120/pp…

I think you do have San Juan covered. There is so much to do with a self-guided walking tour there. I mean, all of the islands are pretty good for this. My parents tend to prefer the eastern itinerary, so I have been to all of the ports at least twice.

I know you are "Cheapo Dad" but if you are ever looking for a fantastic place for lunch, there is a place called Cafe' Amalie that serves Spanish food. Their sangria is good and the food is amazing. And one can never go wrong with Gladys's. My former employer lived on St. Thomas for several years, so I keep meaning to get a cab to take me up to the area where he lived. I just want to see the house in person once.

On St. Maarten, there is a shop for a guy called "The Yoda Guy." There is all kinds of Star Wars memorabilia and artwork in his shop. It's a fun place to walk through. No charge, unless you buy something in the shop. He does other artwork as well. I have never done an organized tour in St. Maarten. I may have to do it the next time. I am kind of tired of visiting the Uncle in Prison on St. Maarten. It's a beautiful island.

Thank you to everyone that gave suggestions for things to do in St. Kitts. I am torn between the Thenford Grey tour and just walking/relaxing near the pier. Decisions decisions decisions!

Our group of 7 enjoyed Thenford Grey, toward the end you go to one of the best beaches, it is free and they having changing room (clean) we walked to the left of the beach from the changing area -if you are facing the ocean and had the best local food,

Edited by 1cruise2U

Our group of 7 enjoyed Thenford Grey, toward the end you go to one of the best beaches, it is free and they having changing room (clean) we walked to the left of the beach from the changing area -if you are facing the ocean and had the best local food,

This sounds perfect!!

I think you do have San Juan covered. There is so much to do with a self-guided walking tour there. I mean, all of the islands are pretty good for this. My parents tend to prefer the eastern itinerary, so I have been to all of the ports at least twice.

I know you are "Cheapo Dad" but if you are ever looking for a fantastic place for lunch, there is a place called Cafe' Amalie that serves Spanish food. Their sangria is good and the food is amazing. And one can never go wrong with Gladys's. My former employer lived on St. Thomas for several years, so I keep meaning to get a cab to take me up to the area where he lived. I just want to see the house in person once.

On St. Maarten, there is a shop for a guy called "The Yoda Guy." There is all kinds of Star Wars memorabilia and artwork in his shop. It's a fun place to walk through. No charge, unless you buy something in the shop. He does other artwork as well. I have never done an organized tour in St. Maarten. I may have to do it the next time. I am kind of tired of visiting the Uncle in Prison on St. Maarten. It's a beautiful island.

Thanks for all the info. Appreciate you sharing the knowledge of the islands.

My preference is to go the southern route for the simple reason of never having been there. Only drawback historically has been the long flight (cost) to fly from CA all the way down there. With connecting flight time included, it’s about the same amount of time to fly to London nonstop.

It was never really a serious consideration previously as I had younger kids but now the boys are older, they can tolerate the longer transit.

I was looking at the various travel agents sites this weekend and I think I will pull a “Ken maneuver” by double booking both Celebrity and RCI and just wait to see how the airfare works out later on and cancel the other one.

I read any good things about Bernards at St. Maarten here on CC and Trip advisor. Will book with them as we will be there regardless of which cruise we ended up choosing. Both cruises stop at St. Maarten.