For Harvest Caye: looking for less artificial, more Belize-y things to do

krishj39

Hi fellow NCLers,

My wife and I will be on Harvest Caye on the 25th of this month. I'd like to find something to do that's a bit less "fake" and crowded that what I suspect we will find sitting on the island. Have any of you done an excursion off the island worth doing? Tell me about it! The "Mayan Ruins and Spice Farm" and "Mayan Ruins of Nim Li Punit" seem to be the two options which for sure get us onto the mainland. Anyone recommend these? I'd like to experience something local to Belize while we are there. Anything else you were able to do that you'd recommend? While I have your attention, have you been able to do snorkeling from HC? If so, how, and was it worth it?

I'm struggling with the same problem... don't want to go to another cookie cutter Cruise company made resort. Not "Beliz-y" at all. I've been to Mexican ruins before and therefore don't want another replica of an excursion I've already done. I've inquired about snorkeling but all are too far away from the island. I'll follow this thread to see if there are any good feedback... otherwise we'll just stay on the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm struggling with the same problem... don't want to go to another cookie cutter Cruise company made resort. Not "Beliz-y" at all. I've been to Mexican ruins before and therefore don't want another replica of an excursion I've already done. I've inquired about snorkeling but all are too far away from the island. I'll follow this thread to see if there are any good feedback... otherwise we'll just stay on the ship!

I'm hearing ya.

Sharing same concern. Ship is docked 7am-3pm. Our current plan is just to spend 2 or 3 hours at the pool/beach and go back to the ship. Not sure if I have the courage for the zip lined but that's not even listed anymore. The excursions on Belize don't appeal to us. This might be our one morning to NOT get up early. Not even counting this as a port.

Ive asked my travel agent if we can even get off Harvest Caye to book our own excursion and she indicated she could not find anything. If anyone is able to confirm if/how to do so that would be great. We're on Oceania Marina and in Belize on February 5. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ive asked my travel agent if we can even get off Harvest Caye to book our own excursion and she indicated she could not find anything. If anyone is able to confirm if/how to do so that would be great. We're on Oceania Marina and in Belize on February 5. Thank you!

Are you certain that you'll be stopping at Harvest Cay? It's a private venture by NCL.

If you are stopping at Harvest Cay they have you cornered.

Hi fellow NCLers,

My wife and I will be on Harvest Caye on the 25th of this month. I'd like to find something to do that's a bit less "fake" and crowded that what I suspect we will find sitting on the island. Have any of you done an excursion off the island worth doing? Tell me about it! The "Mayan Ruins and Spice Farm" and "Mayan Ruins of Nim Li Punit" seem to be the two options which for sure get us onto the mainland. Anyone recommend these? I'd like to experience something local to Belize while we are there. Anything else you were able to do that you'd recommend? While I have your attention, have you been able to do snorkeling from HC? If so, how, and was it worth it?

Can someone please define a Beliz-y excursion.

Personally I don't see anything country specific that relates to zip lining, cave tubing, visiting ruins, looking at the jungle, or snorkeling.

Edited by zqvol

There is no way to leave Harvest Caye except on a cruise line sponsored excursion. It is over 75 miles from there to Belize City where the other lines visit.

There is no way to leave Harvest Caye except on a cruise line sponsored excursion. It is over 75 miles from there to Belize City where the other lines visit.

Right, harvest caye is to Belize as labadee is to Haiti... it's not really a Belize stop, it's a beach stop.... the private excursion industry runs out of Belize city which is way too far to get to from harvest caye. It's still TBD if any private excursions will run out of harvest caye but either way it won't be the same things run out of Belize city.

Hi fellow NCLers,

Really? They're going to Belize and not offering a cave tubing excursion? Crazy.

I'd use it as a ship day.

I'm all set with these artificial, man made islands and then to not include the UBP? That's trashy. Lol

I was on the Dawn 12/23 sailing, another passenger really enjoyed the ruins tour so I'd suggest doing that and it will get you off island.

There is a river tubing excursion that also gets you off the island.

While you'll be charged for the food and beverage you order on the island you are able to use your sea pass card for those charges. The beach and loungers are at no additional cost. A typical NCL beach excursion would cost at least $50/adult so in a way you could budget that money for F&B on shore and be even. My guess is this how some budget for the cabanas, it adds nearly the same cost as a beach excursion may on a pp basis. It is always how you spin it or about our perspective on things.

I did the Mangrove boat excursion. It POURED during the ride so I cannot give a fair assessment of the adventure, but the crew was capable and friendly. The island is beautiful, but due to rain and my need to change and dry off back onboard I didn't make it back off the boat before the next wave of rain was in process. I look forward to returning to the island for the full experience.

Edited by Nola26

Can someone please define a Beliz-y excursion.

Personally I don't see anything country specific that relates to zip lining, cave tubing, visiting ruins, looking at the jungle, or snorkeling.

Well, I guess I would consider zip lining (through jungle, not the island), cave tubing, ruins, jungle, and snorkeling more Belize-y than the man-made island. All of those have interaction with something that is naturally or culturally Belize. If you go to Google Earth and see the most recent photo of Harvest Caye from 2015, the whole island is leveled down to dirt, only to be carefully reconstructed to NCL specifications....not Belize-y at all. However, I do understand your point, all of these are still touristy for sure. It's a cruise, so expectations for anything that would be "real Belize" is pretty low.

We signed up for the Mayan Ruins & Spice Farm excursion. The tubing has 2 (out of 2) bad reviews on NCL, and I would guess the rafting (which has no reviews I can find) is the exact same thing in a raft instead of a tube. I don't think they will be the best ruins we've ever seen but at least it will be a different thing to do that day and it gets us onto mainland Belize. Thanks for the posts and I'll have to let you know how it goes.

Edited by krishj39

We were there last week.

I tried to book something more local to do and "Belize-y". I learned from a private company that they are not allowed to the island to get people for tours. So your only way is to book through NCL. Interesting looking tours but very expensive and lots of time in transit.

So we decided to make this our beach day. It's beautiful. The pool is gorgeous, the beach is pretty but the sand is rough. The butterfly exhibit is nice. The shop are minimal. The bars are fun and prices are average. The chairs are plentiful. Although getting off earlier or later in the day will help get you chairs together for your group in an area of your choosing.

If you've been to Grand Turk it feels very similar except you can't walk down the beach and find local establishments. NCL puts out water and your key card works for charging stuff (your drink packages do not work there).

This was a really inexpensive enjoyable day for us. We purchased a drink each and shared some nachos, then had a late lunch on the ship. Otherwise didn't spend any money there.

We also didn't feel the need for a cabana. The lounge chairs with umbrellas were fine for us plus then we were close to everything, bars, food, beach, splash pad, pool, etc.

Went to Belize last year and loved it. Harvest Caye last week was a very big disappointment. No private tours, expensive food and drink (no UBP there). Red Macaw Parrot will be coming?? (come on--how hard is it to get a parrot in the Caribbean??) If you love a pool, it's beautiful, if you want to see a different port/country, you are out of luck.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Hi fellow NCLers,

SiL and DiL did the Lamanai (spl?) ruins tour and loved it. I did a snorkel tour off the ship and really enjoyed it (Belize has a fabulous barrier reef) - but admittedly this was all before Harvest Caye came along.

Is it possible to get off Harvest Caye and onto the main land to do a tour? Im having a hard time getting an answer on that. Thank you!

You can't do any tour except through NCL excursions. The options, assuming all are still available, is the Mayan Ruins Tour, Mayan Ruins and Spice Farm Tour, the River Rafting, and the River Tubing. My wife and I chose the Ru Na and Spice Farm. From the little info I was able to find, the river tubing/rafting is very underwhelming.

Hope that helps.