Yukon Train/bus tour SKAGWAY

roadmaster

Hi, we are an Aussie couple looking for some advice please on the above shore excursion. We are pretty new cruisers.

We will be on the Regatta on June 15th in Skagway between 8am and 6pm. This tour has either been withdrawn or sold out on the ships excursion list.

Would you consider this tour of 7.5 hours, departing at 8.30am (bus first) be safe enough to book with Chilkoot tours which would arrive back at 4.30pm?

From what I can read from the train time table it would leave Fraser at 2.45pm and suggests a 1.75 hour journey back.

Doesn't leave a lot of room for mishaps and wonder if the Regatta has withdrawn the tour for that reason.

I have posted this in the Oceania forum as well

Thanks

You should be fine with an arrival at 4:30pm. Chilkoot has a very good reputation. Contact them and if they say it will work, it will. No vendor wants to be the one that delays a passenger from re-boarding. It would kill the business.

Thanks for the thoughts. I have now emailed the tour operator.

The train is on the back end of the trip so its beyond their control what happens.

It doesn't matter if you do the train first or train last IMO. I have done a bus 2x, the train 2x and drove 2x.

I am sure it will work out, but if it doesn't - I would consider renting a car. Though - it just dawned dawned on me you maybe used to driving on the opposite side of the road and you may not want to.

I would rent a car, we’ve done that many times. I don’t think driving on the right side of the road would be too much of a problem, it’s not like there’s a lot of traffic. If you do rent a car reserve it soon, they tend to sell out fast. If you do rent car download “Murray’s Guide” it’s a great guide to have on the Yukon highway, plan on driving up to Carcross in the Yukon, have lunch there and do some exploring and go on up to Emerald lake.