Drink package on Sun Princess

Elorac123

No, the drinks package is per person. If you want two drinks at the same time you will need to present two cruise cards, both with drinks package stickers on them.

However if one person has a package they can buy wine by the bottle at 40% discount and share the bottle.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

As others have said, one package wont do the trick. You might get away with it but you will feel guilty the whole time. We typically do not buy the drink package on Princess and I'll explain why.

A drink package for 2 people on a 7 day cruise would be ~$785. ($1127 for 10 day, YIKES!)

Bring your allotted wine on board:

For starters, you can bring one bottle of wine each. (not much I know and we typically have this gone the within the first day or so). Any additional bottles will be charged a $15 corkage fee (still better than $40-50 per bottle). But we typically stick to 2 bottles. There is a 50/50 shot you can get wine on board at ports as well without the corkage fee (don't count on it though).

Bottles delivered to your stateroom:

Next, with Princess you can order a variety of alcohol through room service or pre-purchase online for ~$17-25 per 375ml bottle (note that these are to "consume in your stateroom"). You can bring mixers and such with you and back on board at each port. Lets assume you use 1 shot per drink, you get roughly 8 drinks per bottle. Your room steward will keep your ice bucket full. :)

Daily Discounts:

Take advantage of the buckets of beer during the day and also the various happy hours which are buy one get one for $1 (this includes mixed drinks).

If you are keeping track, the drink package is ~$56 per pax / per day ($112/day):

You each can buy one bottle of Absolut vodka or JD for ~$25 EACH DAY. (Half the price of the package right there), a bucket of beer ~$25 and a glass of wine each at dinner and still be under the daily package price.

Add it all up:

Our final bar tab for the week is $350-400 for 7 days (if I don't have a drink before noon, it's not vacation). On average we will bring our allotted wine, purchase two bottles through room service, a bucket or two of beer by the pool on sea days and 2-3 glasses of wine/cocktails each night. Our methods do not cheat the system, maybe stretch the rules with the "consume in your stateroom" from time to time, but we are still purchasing various over priced drinks daily and enjoying ourselves.

DISCLAIMER 1:

If you enjoy specialty coffee or drink a lot of soda... buy the package. We do not.

DISCLAIMER 2:

I'm not saying do not purchase the drink package ever... we have purchased the drink package on other cruise lines because it made sense. The one thing I do like is being able to order whatever you want, whenever you want and knowing it's already paid for. Beer got warm? Get a new one. Want to try a cocktail you've never had and hate it, nothing lost.

DISCLAIMER 3:

If you do buy the package, be sure to order a bottle of water with you drink (why not, it's included and you will need to stay hydrated right? :))

It really depends on what you like to drink and when. If you like cocktails it can be good value for money. It does include speciality coffees, bottled water, soft drinks and juices. Also ice-cream, I believe.

It's borderline for us - we break even most days with freshly squeezed orange juice with breakfast, a couple of coffees during the day, bottled water (we like sparkling mineral water with meals), a couple of cocktails, a beer or wine with lunch on sea days, wine with dinner, and perhaps an after-dinner liqueur. Also it is convenient, and it allows you to try new drinks. If you don't like one you can just leave it and order something else.

It really depends on what you like to drink and when. If you like cocktails it can be good value for money. It does include speciality coffees, bottled water, soft drinks and juices. Also ice-cream, I believe.

It's borderline for us - we break even most days with freshly squeezed orange juice with breakfast, a couple of coffees during the day, bottled water (we like sparkling mineral water with meals), a couple of cocktails, a beer or wine with lunch on sea days, wine with dinner, and perhaps an after-dinner liqueur. Also it is convenient, and it allows you to try new drinks. If you don't like one you can just leave it and order something else.

I agree. If you take advantage of the juice and coffee it is definitely worth it. Also, worth it for the flexibility and peace of mind knowing what you are paying before stepping foot on the ship.

As others have said, one package wont do the trick. You might get away with it but you will feel guilty the whole time. We typically do not buy the drink package on Princess and I'll explain why.

A drink package for 2 people on a 7 day cruise would be ~$785. ($1127 for 10 day, YIKES!)

For starters, you can bring one bottle of wine each. (not much I know and we typically have this gone the within the first day or so). Any additional bottles will be charged a $15 corkage fee (still better than $40-50 per bottle). But we typically stick to 2 bottles. There is a 50/50 shot you can get wine on board at ports as well without the corkage fee (don't count on it though).

Next, with Princess you can order a variety of alcohol through room service or pre-purchase online for ~$17-25 per 375ml bottle (note that these are to "consume in your stateroom"). You can bring mixers and such with you and back on board at each port. Lets assume you use 1 shot per drink, you get roughly 8 drinks per bottle. Your room steward will keep your ice bucket full. :)

Daily Discounts:

Take advantage of the buckets of beer during the day and also the various happy hours which are buy one get one for $1 (this includes mixed drinks).

If you are keeping track, the drink package is ~$56 per pax / per day ($112/day):

You each can buy one bottle of Absolut vodka or JD for ~$25 EACH DAY. (Half the price of the package right there), a bucket of beer ~$25 and a glass of wine each at dinner and still be under the daily package price.

Add it all up:

Our final bar tab for the week is $350-400 for 7 days (if I don't have a drink before noon, it's not vacation). On average we will bring our allotted wine, purchase two bottles through room service, a bucket or two of beer by the pool on sea days and 2-3 glasses of wine/cocktails each night. Our methods do not cheat the system, maybe stretch the rules with the "consume in your stateroom" from time to time, but we are still purchasing various over priced drinks daily and enjoying ourselves.

DISCLAIMER 1:

If you enjoy specialty coffee or drink a lot of soda... buy the package. We do not.

DISCLAIMER 2:

I'm not saying do not purchase the drink package ever... we have purchased the drink package on other cruise lines because it made sense. The one thing I do like is being able to order whatever you want, whenever you want and knowing it's already paid for. Beer got warm? Get a new one. Want to try a cocktail you've never had and hate it, nothing lost.

DISCLAIMER 3:

If you do buy the package, be sure to order a bottle of water with you drink (why not, it's included and you will need to stay hydrated right? :))

Believe the price of the AIBP on the Sun Princess is AUS$59/pp/day or AUS$413/pp for a 7 day cruise. Also believe the drink price limit is AUS$14. US$ prices do not generally to a Sun Princess cruise. The OP is from Australia.

Believe the price of the AIBP on the Sun Princess is AUS$59/pp/day or AUS$413/pp for a 7 day cruise. Also believe the drink price limit is AUS$14. US$ prices do not generally to a Sun Princess cruise. The OP is from Australia.

I thought it was $74aus per day or something like that?

Thank you all for your input but in all honesty I cannot see the value for us,we do like a drink but would not get the value,we don't drink coffee and to spend half as much p.p. as the 7 day cruise costs to begin with does not sit well with me

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I think you just sold me :) We are on Sun Princess leaving 5th June and with the drinks package including fresh OJ, coffees and that irresisatble NZ ice cream it sounds like a winner to us:D

I don't drink anymore, but could probably break even on the drink package with soda etc. but why would I when I can get the soda and more where I slay it.

You need to consider what you drink, how much you drink AND the convenience factor.

I'm the sort that gets two additional benefits

1. I don't need to think, will I have one now or leave it a while and save a few $$$ I don't need that sort of thinking while I'm on holidays

2. I'm happy to try something different, if I don't like it what's the loss???

If you get one person the drink package and both people want a drink you can get one with the package and pay for the other one. Packages are not shareable and if caught sharing can be revoked with no refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know... I posted that in one thread and got jumped all over for making "ridiculous" statements.

Daily Discounts:

Add it all up:

DISCLAIMER 1:

DISCLAIMER 2:

DISCLAIMER 3:

Thank you. This was along the same lines as I was thinking. Super helpful.

To me the drink package is awesome as a free perk. I'm too cheap to pay for it though. Heck, on our next cruise it would be over $3,200 for the two of us to buy the package. I do like to drink but I just cringe at the thought of allocating that much money for drinks in a single month!

To me the drink package is awesome as a free perk. I'm too cheap to pay for it though. Heck, on our next cruise it would be over $3,200 for the two of us to buy the package. I do like to drink but I just cringe at the thought of allocating that much money for drinks in a single month!

Our next Princess cruise it would be just over $4K for both of us. As non drinkers naturally we wouldn't take it, but some years ago when I did drink it's be a no brainer. As it stands I'll get the soda and more, and break even about 1/4,of the way into our trip, Mrs Gut will probably go through a couple of coffee cards, buy the odd mocktail and bottle of water, paying as we go.